White bread vs wheat

Options
Ok white bread has less calories and less everything. . . and i Know it is worse than wheta bread but I just don't know what makes it worse so I was just wondering

Replies

• sprit_if
    Options
    Ok white bread has less calories and less everything. . . and i Know it is worse than wheta bread but I just don't know what makes it worse so I was just wondering
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    white flour is bad for you because it does not break down properly and the calories go directly to fat. Wheat is better and the calories are the "good ones". Or at least that is the way it was explained to me.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    wheat bread has more whole fiber which takes longer to digest as well as it does not spike your blood sugar like white bread. In conclusion, wheat bread keeps you fuller longer, and helps keeps your blood sugar stable so you are not craving simple sugars all day like white bread
  • healthychic
    Options
    My mom always told me that they "bleach" it to make it white? I don't know, I have always believed her. But pb&j ONLY tastes good on white bread, i had that for dinner:smile:

:heart: Danielle
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just FYI White bread has a higher glycemic index than table sugar.
    Cowboy
  • Panthera
    Options
    And try to get 100% whole wheat bread rather than just plain wheat bread. There is a world of difference in nutritional value. WW bread is all I eat (including WW pastas). They are great for your digestive system because they have a lot of fiber. They have a heavier taste, but once you get used to it, there is a chance that you will love it and find white bread bland.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    wheat bread has more whole fiber which takes longer to digest as well as it does not spike your blood sugar like white bread. In conclusion, wheat bread keeps you fuller longer, and helps keeps your blood sugar stable so you are not craving simple sugars all day like white bread

I agree with Deanea. It is the same with white rice as well.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I personally don't like whit bread, my family does, but on this one I don't budge. I pay $3.55 for a high fiber, whole wheat bread. There are several "grain" breads on the market that have no more nutrition than white bread so I quit buying them. My absolute fav is something called "Squirrely Bread." It's made with nuts and alfalfa spouts and some other yummy stuff--no flour. It spoils quickly so I buy it once or twice a year because on that one my family won't budge. They want bread to have flour. That does not answer the question but I was looking at the bread on the market shelf today so I thought I'd write about it because I want it..:heart:
  • sprit_if
    Options
    I have 12 Grain bread from Country Farms. . . I don't know if that is whole wheat or what...
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    White bread is also one of the worst foods for your teeth!!!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sprout bread?
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Hmmm? Never heard of it...details please!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's something my nutritionist said that made me give up white flour for good.

It's actually a quiz:

Q. What is in white bread? A: mostly flour and water.

Q. How do you make paste? A: flour and water.

EEEEEWWWW! I was done.:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    My wife broke it down for me with regards to any baked goods. Basically the less ingredients the better, also, any flour should be whole wheat or multi-grain.

The why is simple (pardon the pun). Simple carbs (white, processed, bleached) flour is broken down by the body very fast, faster then your body can figure out what to do with it. So it stores it as.....you guessed it...FAT. Ack!

You want complex carbs. Whole grains, multi grains...etc. And the added benefit is fiber, which helps regulate the body's digestive system. So when you see "enriched" that may sound good, but it means they stripped everything out, then put stuff back in, which means it usually has preservatives, which they don't necessarily need to list in the ingredience depending on what they use. Sneaky little SOB's!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Hmmm? Never heard of it...details please!

Ingredience
    Shrouted organic whole wheat berries, filtered water, wheat gluten, unsulphured molasses, organic corn meal, fresh yeast, organic oats, organic rye, organic sunflower seeds, organic flaxseeds, soy based lecithin, cultured wheat.
    1 gm fat and 90 calories per slice
    0 sat and trans fat
    0 cholest.
    10mg sodium
    15 g carbs
    2g dietary fiber
    2 g sugar
    5g protein.
    The one I buy is from trader joes and is a sprouted multi-grain salt free bread.
    I also by sprouted corn and whole wheat tortillas. They are much better for you than the average tortilla and bread. Compare the ingred with your bread.

sprouting radically changes grains by:
    First, changing the composition of starch molecules, converting them into vegetable sugars, so the body recognizes and digests sprouted grains as a vegetable.
    Second, enzymes are created that aid digestion, complex sugars are broken down which can eliminate painful gas, and vitamin and mineral levels increase.
    Third, sprouting neutralizes potent carcinogens and enzyme inhibitors, as well as an acid that inhibits absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc.
  • 3bearsmom
    Options
    I know of some acquaintances who went to a Bible school for 6 weeks, leaving some white and whole wheat bread at home. When they returned, the white bread was not moldy at all. (I'm sure it wasn't nice and soft any more though) however the wheat bread was moldy. Now I don't know about you but I would hate to put into my system the preservatives must be white bread for it to stay non-moldy for over 6 weeks.
  • sprit_if
    Options
    Yuck. I used to live in France and they never put preservatives into anything! We would often buy two loaves of bread a day and they'd both be completely stale and unable to eat by the end of the day because nothing was added in!

Oh Europe... I miss you
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    FYI stay away from anything that says refined!!!!! Horrible.....stripped of everyhing of the nutritional value!!!!
    In our house we don't eat "white" foods...bias I know but hey! LOL
    dd
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Make sure when you buy wheat bread it says WHOLE grain or WHOLE wheat. I have read that if the WHOLE is not on the label that it can be simply died white bread. This is especailly common with store brands like Wal-Marts Great Value wheat bread