Ladies with a LOT of weight to lose and PCOS?

Options

Replies

• BennettKaylee
    Options
    I've got at least 126 to lose.

I started at 266 and am down 11 pounds.

I am on Metformin, Provera, and Synthroid.

I'm a mess!
  • andilynn82
    andilynn82 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 with PCOS and have about 100 pounds still to lose. My doctor prescribed Metformin but I seem to go through cycles with it...I'll do just fine for a while and then it will make me absolutely miserable so I quit taking it til I feel ready to work my way back up again. My husband and I want to have a baby in the couple years, so losing weight is a priority for me right now!

Feel free to add me :-)
  • hloftin32
    hloftin32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I have PCOS and am currently taking Spiro and metformin to help with my insulin resistance. For those of you that feel hopeless, trust me we can beat this!! Please check out pcosdiva.com and Dr. Elizabeth Vilet's book on PCOS, especially if this disorder is new for you. I have about 75-80 lbs to lose, but I also have started getting my healthcare degree in order to dedicate my research towards Women's health and PCOS. Please feel free to add me, even though my weight loss doesn't reflect it, I have a wealth of knowledge on this disorder.

:)
  • VampyreCass
    VampyreCass Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I was diagnosed with PCOS in June of 2009 and I didn't take the news well. I believe it caused my depression which led to even more overeating.

I am now trying to get on track and started attempting to get better at exercising and eating well last Wednesday. I am trying to find others to help motivate me so please don't hesitate to add me!

Cass
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I too have PCOS. I was diagnosed 6 years ago when trying to get pregnant. I was put on Metoformin to help me get pregnant but as soon as I got pregnant I was taken off of it. Until coming to MFP I didn't know much about PCOS. I'm not knocking my doctor but all she said was that I had cysts all over my ovaries and that I had excess hair. Well thanks, I know I'm a hairy beast, every woman's dream :) I don't know if I have PCOS symptoms or not. I am tired a lot but I'm also very busy and I'm a closet grouch. I try to be sweet and friendly all the time but when I come home at night the ones I love most sure catch it. Weight loss is hard for me. I lose quickly in the beginning and then I just stall out. Before MFP I would usually lose 30 lbs. and stop. Now I've taken off about 47 but the other 60 I need to lose are sticking to me like glue. And I hold belly fat like you wouldn't believe. I'm one of those odd people you see with smaller arms and legs and really round in the middle. I HATE it. I'm sorry that PCOS is so common. It causes a lot of problems and us ladies have enough to worry about without it!!!
  • Mirdir
    Mirdir Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi - feel free to add me to. I have PCOS and about 80 lbs to lose. i'm on metformin 1x per day and i use a natural progestrone cream to induce period if it has been too long. i'm 36 and went through fertility to have my twins (they are 2 years old now). I'm determined to get my body back in shape! anyone can add me...i'm new to this "friend" / "group" concept on MFP...just starting to use it more. it is amazing to read the stories
    Where do you get this cream from? I've been know to go years without....you know and I hate birth control!

Anyways to the OP: I'm 25 and I was 15 when I was formally diagnosed with PCOS, I pretty much have every symptom except insulin resistance and the hair loss. Currently unmedicated because i'm a weenie when it comes to Met and I've never been on spiro (Though I hear that helps with the hair problem >.>) I've been losing pretty consistently so far by just watching my calories and I think I still have another 150+ pounds to lose too. Feel free to add me ^^
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I have PCOS, too! I tried the men herbs (the ones they take for prostrate) at first I saw results but then none, so I stopped. Now I'm taking black cohash and cinnamon. I do have diabeties but I don't have healthcare anymore so I just regulate my sugar intake and if I go crazy then I Take cinnamon to balance it out.
    I have a ton of weight to lose and a ton of stuff to gain!
    You can check out a list I have on my profile of some things wrong with me, most from PCOS but not all.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like--just put PCOS on the friend request, thanks.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too! Lost about 44 pounds and starting to gain as i have started eating more (gained about 5 ish pounds). I have stopped eating the bad stuff and want to continue my journey and not gain all that I have lost ... i have 30-35 pounds to still drop...one great side effect for me has been ( since dropping the 44 pounds) I have regained ovulation and my cycles...so it is possible...feel free to add me...
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, also....had to cut my carb intake and increase my exercise:tongue: ....
  • nurseshannon1975
    Options
    I also have PCOS and insulin resistance with a large amount of weight to lose. I am currently taking 1000mg of metformin a day but have previously taken up to 2000mg a day...side effects suck! Please feel free to add me!

PS to all the ladies talking about infertility with this darn disease....be encouraged. I was told that I would never have a child without going on some kind of fertility medication to make me ovulate and because of the cost of fertility treatments and such I came to the realization that I would never have a child. Well, three weeks after my divorce (isn't God's timing funny?) I got pregnant with my ex husband. I had not had a period in over 6 months!! I still wonder how this is possible sometimes. I now have a beautiful almost 4 year old little boy. Have faith and patience. Everything comes in God's time.
  • rach818xx
    rach818xx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies ...

I'm a PCOS suffering woman also ... on 1500mg/metformin a day ...
    I need to lose 100lbs ... recently had a miscarriage (1st pregnancy) and this was a big motivation for me, I need to LOSE WEIGHT, I love kids and I want one with my partner.

Please feel free to add me as a friend ..

Let's be beautiful ladies ...

I recently had a miscarriage as well. Was also my first pregnancy. I lost it in August of last year. I've been TTC ever since with no luck. Wondering if i have PCOS since i am 140lbs overweight. I know how you feel hun and i definitely need to lose the weight to get that rainbow baby!!
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I still have about 100 pounds to lose, feel free to add me. I cut carbs to a moderate level and increased exercise. I also added cinnamon and chromium.
  • isabellesgranny
    Options
    hello eveyone
    hope ur day was a great one.. so.. im 47 and need to lose 120.00 lbs..ok i wanna lose that.. im on ww but i dont get the whole points system ... so good luck everyone.. feel free to add me. i havent figured out how to do all that yet
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    for those who have negative side effects from the metformin, i might recommend you try the extended release formula. it has made a huge difference for me. the meds never make me sick anymore since i switch and i've heard other people have the same experience. so it might be worth a try for you
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    nurse shannon, i was also told i would never have anymore kids. i didn't have pcos when i had my first and there was no trouble with him at all and we used meds with my daughter. but after that because of complicated, even life threatening, pregnancy issues, no doctor would prescribe me fertility meds no matter how many times i tried. but after six years of unprotected sex i suddenly found out i was pregnant again. so my kids are 11,8 and then a two year old lol. so it can happen naturally but it could take awhile. like many of the others i've also had multiple miscarriages. when i was ttc with my older daughter and taking the meds i had six miscarriages. we finally did figure out it was a result of an almost complete lack of progesterone in my system. probably from the pcos. so i took synthetic hormones with both my daughters and was finally able to stay pregnant. so those who do get pregnant might get in to have your hormone levels checked early
  • feliz1
    feliz1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi, My name is Feliz ( Yea I Know) and I too need to lose about the same amount of weight and I'm also on Metformin 500 mg too. Wishing you luck on your journey.
  • librarygoddess2
    librarygoddess2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Gosh there are a lot of us! I've lost 52lbs so far though so it can be done! No special tricks either. Just make better choices and eat more natural foods. Any of you can feel free to add me I'd love some more friends. :-)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    wow there are so many of us! I too am in the same boat as all you over 100lbs to lose and PCOS. I am not on any antidiabetic medicines just trying to with diet and exercise. Any feel free to add me we are in the same boat and only another woman who was gone through the struggle of PCOS can understand the challenges we face.
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! It is my first day here and I am trying to get back on track. I have 100+ lbs to lose. I have been diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago after going one whole year without a period. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for two years. I have been on 1500 mg of metformin for about a year and a half (I haven't been very good at taking it). I have been had 6 failed clomid fertility treatments and 2 failed IUIs (with follistim injections). Last summer I dropped 50 lbs but got really depressed when our IUI failed. I felt like all my hard work was pointless. I gained 30 back. Trying to get back on track now. We have come to a crossroads where we are trying to decide if we are going to do lapband or IVF which both cost a ton of money. Meanwhile I am trying to make this a healthy summer break and would love some support during this time.

I can totally relate!
    We have actually been trying to get pregnant for 7 years now. About 5 years ago, I did only 1 round of Clomid and got pregnant, but had a miscarriage at the end of the first trimester.

About 2 years ago, we did 5 rounds of IUI with all the injections, meds, super ovulation/stimulation/etc. with no luck, and I was totally depressed too.

After that, I left the non-supportive folks at the Cleveland Clinic and found a alternative-wholistic doctor who had experienced some infertility issues herself. Even though the Cleveland Clinic had said I didn't have enough of the criteria to technically have PCOS, she put me on a low carb/PCOS-type diet. Since last March, I've lost almost 50 lbs (with about 50 to go), and now we also are contemplating IVF next spring.

Good luck to you!
    --Jane
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There are also at least two PCOS groups on the boards - they're great support!
    --Jane