Can you argue with me or relate?

Options
Eyesee
Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
I recently began my weight-loss journey (last week) at the heaviest weight I have ever been. I was thin and athletic most of my life, but I still always found fault with my body (don't know what you got til it's gone, huh?).

I've had a lot of free time and have been motivated to work out for long hours and eat well, but today when I got home from the gym happy and exhausted, I looked in the mirror when I was about to take a shower and just said "ugggggh!"

I feel really depressed and unmotivated now because I'm looking at all of the damage I've done to my body by putting this weight on, and I can't imagine how losing it will make me look better. I need to lose about 100 pounds, but I feel like I'm just going to look disgusting anyway now that I've made myself lumpy and misshapen with fat.

Can anybody talk me out of this? Or relate to how I feel right now? How do you guys cope when you are completely disappointed with what you see in the mirror?

Replies

• linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I can relate, but every pound I lose is still good for my body. Every bit you lose is better easier on your body. Try setting smaller goals so that it may not be such a hard thing mentally.
  • onyxaj
    onyxaj Posts: 17
    Options
    I've never gotten too out of control, but at one point I went ffrom an athletic 150 to 200. I worked it off and am now at 164. Some days, I still dont like what the mirror shows, but I FEEL so much better every day. Once you start shedding the extra weight, you'll be in a better mood, and one day you'll see the old you smiling back. Don't give up, we are all here cheering you on.
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Take that feeling and turn it into motivation. Seriously, I had the exact same feeling as you. But I turned it into determination. I pushed myself to do the 30Day Shred, and after that, I found my diet a lot easier. Sure, I worked out at the gym and stuff but it was the 30DS that made me see exactly what I was capable of. And it made me feel great.

But the 30DS is extreme, so maybe you could do something else? Yogalates are good!
  • kathymillard1970
    Options
    I can relate, I mean I have done excellent on my diet, lost over 20 Lbs. in 2 months, I have been doing a lot of walking but every time I walk by a window I can see myself and can't help but think UGH I look fat, but I then try to remind myself, of what I have lost already and that I can lose the rest. I have to lose a grand total of 120 Lbs. But I set 10 Lbs. goals first and each time I hit that I feel wonderful, Hopes this helps.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Sure 100 is a lot to lose, but once you start losing it does get easier and once you lose 10 lbs, you don't have as much to lose as before. Then before you know it you'll be posting NSV's, etc. You gotta look at the smaller, attainable goals bc right now you are just looking at the big time ones.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the smaller goals thing ... the big picture can be a tad daunting to put it lightly. Break it down and focus on them one at a time.

use your anger to your advantage and take it out on the exercise machine or weights ... what ever floats your boat ... but make sure you do something you enjoy ... or else you won't stick to it.

you can do it like many others before you have!
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It took more that a week to put it on so its going to take more then a week to loose it. Be patient!! I've been on my journey for 5 weeks and find myself discouraged quite a bit too. It helps me to look at before and after pictures I can find on this site. It makes me realize that it IS possible and it renews my faith in myself and my goals. Chin up!
  • snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    you just have to think about all you are doing and see yourself at where you wanna be. we all get discouraged, and bummed and wanna quit, but i have quit and then feel even worse, so now i just keep pushing on, whether i feel like it or not. To me its just mind over matter, i want this, im gonna do this, i can do this...

YOU CAN DO THIS.. ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!!!
  • lnt_helent
    lnt_helent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think ok, this is bad today. But one day in the future, IF I carry on with this, I'll look at myself and say HELL YES.
    We all have bad days, I'm having one too, but you just have to remember all the minor achievements you've made already. One huge one you've already made is not just to decide you need to lose weight but to actually do something about it.
    Try writing down milestones as you hit them. Not 'I lost 2lbs', stuff like 'I can see my collar bones today', or 'my *kitten* is as big as ever but DAMN does it look good'. Look at it when you're having crap days and remember it isn't all negative. Even if it's just the power and strength you get from a really good workout, embrace it and focus on it. So for me today, it's my hips, they're tighter than they were, tons of work to do on my gut and thighs, but it's a change in the right direction.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I can relate. While I never had a lot to lose, I did have a 10lb baby. While things arent "terrible", they just arent the same as when I was at my best. Sometimes I struggle with the last few pounds, because I think the same things.......... Who really cares about a few pounds, I will never look as good as I used to.

At the end of the day its more about being healthy anyway. Every pound that you can take off will make you healthier and stronger. You wont know what you'll look like until you lose some, and its worth it for health if nothing else. The body is an amazing thing, and with the right fuel and exercise- you would be surprised what it can do.

Keep your chin up- I dont think any of us "love" the way we look every day. We're always more critical of ourselves than others are. This I can promise you- take the weight off and you'll be glad you did. :smile:
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do know how you feel. There are a lot of us here that can relate to that. That's why it's so important to keep coming here and let us motivate you and cheer you up when you're feeling this way. I'd encourage you to look for people on here that have lost over a hundred pounds. Seriously, I've didn't look that good at my lowest weight! There are people on here that have really REALLY rocked it out! There's no reason you cant be one of them!!!!!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    What two people told me who ran a gym. "**** happens."

No, really, they told me that. xD

Regardless of how you were then, this is what you are now. Learn to love yourself to modivate yourself to a better place. This isn't forever. You have the power, and the will, to change the way you look. It won't be easy.

There will be blood, sweat, and tears. Hang in there and you will get to you're goal.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    1. Takes pictures of yourself (all views) and take measurements.
    2. Focus on a part of your body that you can love now.
    3. Every 20 pounds or so retake the pictures (wear the same clothes).
    4. Compare the pictures and really look at your self.
    5. Keep looking for new changes in your body, you will be surprised!

Good luck with your endeavors!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, I was never slim, but pretty athletic and I have put on quite a number ( about 100 as well) of pounds since my college career ended. Without that conditioning and playing everyday, I ballooned. I actually hurt myself a few days ago trying to jump into exercises i used to do and am so not ready for. I lost all motivation and confidence. When i look in the mirror i too am shocked at what i did to myself. Now since i can't work out as much, im really focusing on what i eat. trying to remember that putting it on was a slow process, and for it to come off will be slow too.
    im pretty new here and looking for friends if you wanna friend me and we can give some support =)
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I recently began my weight-loss journey (last week) at the heaviest weight I have ever been. I was thin and athletic most of my life, but I still always found fault with my body (don't know what you got til it's gone, huh?).

I've had a lot of free time and have been motivated to work out for long hours and eat well, but today when I got home from the gym happy and exhausted, I looked in the mirror when I was about to take a shower and just said "ugggggh!"

I feel really depressed and unmotivated now because I'm looking at all of the damage I've done to my body by putting this weight on, and I can't imagine how losing it will make me look better. I need to lose about 100 pounds, but I feel like I'm just going to look disgusting anyway now that I've made myself lumpy and misshapen with fat.

Can anybody talk me out of this? Or relate to how I feel right now? How do you guys cope when you are completely disappointed with what you see in the mirror?

oh honey I feel for you! I was always thin even after my babies never had any problems. Then wham! I put on weight that won't go away. I look at old pictures and I am like what happened to me? Anyway, I am working really hard on lifestyle changes that is what is really going to make the difference for anyone needing to lose any amount of weight. Every time I look at my logging days I feel proud of myself for not eating fast food or getting in a workout. Little victories! At this point I just reach a weight that I was two years ago. And I have more to go but, I am proud of it! Also, I am only weighing myself every couple of weeks so, I don't obsess over the weight and focus on the lifestyle changes I am making for myself and my family. Be proud of every hurdle and talk positively to yourself push that negativity away. We are all in this together.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That same thought has caused me to give up so many times- "Even IF I lose the weight, I'll probably still look pudgy and I'll never have the body I want." When I feel like that now though, I check out the Success Stories and Before & After pics on the Forums. To see what other people have accomplished makes me know that it IS possible and it makes me excited to keep going. Now it's the patience I need to work on.
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and get mad! It helped me in the beginning. But then start to enjoy all the things that have nothing to do with how you look or what you weigh. Do you have more energy from eating well? Do you snore now and won't soon? Do you ache a little less from normal activities? Do you ache a little more because you're developing muscle in there? Be proud of yourself for doing something about your health! There are millions of people out there who are doing nothing! You are so far ahead of them just for trying! And when you look back a year from now, because you're NOT giving up, you'll be so glad you stuck with it.
  • butterpecan_ts
    butterpecan_ts Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Though looks can be a motivating reaon to lose weight, also think of the health advantages. So many people die of weight-related diseases. By taking the steps you are, you can totally avoid them and live a healthy, long life. Or you can stop, stay at a unhealthy weight and eventually gain a sickness or back pain or knees pains, etc, which were preventable, and live the rest of your life that way.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant right now, and have real stretch marks for the first time in my life. I always thought pregnancy was supposed to make you feel beautiful, but I just feel icky. When this baby gets here, I won't have 100 lbs to lose, but I will have a good amount and have a feeling my body will probably never look the same... but, that doesn't mean it can't still look good! If you focus on how giant the mountain you have to climb is, you're setting yourself up for failure. Focus on small accomplishments, like the first ten pounds. Soon, you will have lost 50! You can still have a beautiful body. It may not ever be the same, but it is not ruined. I have seen transformations on here proving that.

P.s., Try heavy lifting. It really does transform your body.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I know how you feel and I only have 30lbs to lose compared to you. Why don't you look at some of the Success Stories to motivate you? The good thing about have alot to lose its that you get results pretty quickly which motivates you as well.

Also create mini goals - a manicure for 10lbs lost, ipad for 50lbs, etc.