Dumbbells

Options
How many calories do you burn using dumbbells?
At least an estimate...

I usually do 3-5 sets of 12-15 reps.

Dumbbell Row, Two-Arm, Bent at hip
Biceps Curl
Lateral Raise
Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl
I forget what the last is called but you put the weights behind your head elbows bent 90 degrees and
just raise up and back down.

I use 5lb weights, being a woman I don't want bulky muscle, obviously.

Replies

• mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you will never know for sure unless you wear a HRM while you are doing those exercises.

There is weight training under the cardio category though, you just plug in your minutes exercising and it gives you a general amount of cals. burned.

Hope that helps!
    Erin
  • sheaffer8
    sheaffer8 Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks dear : ) that does help actually
  • smartgirlsdo
    Options
    Don't worry - because you are a woman you will NEVER get bulky muscle. Female bodybuilders work out all day as a career and generally take supplements (some of them illegal and / or not good for them) to achieve a certain look - and even only some of those women are able to do that genetically.

But doing tons and tons of reps at a weight too low for you to make your muscles fail (meaning you couldn't possibly do another rep with good form) won't help you build the kind of muscle that will stoke your metabolism and burn lots more calories. The best part about incorporating weights into your workouts isn't how many calories they burn during your workout (it will be less than a cardio session) but that the muscle you create will burn more calories in your resting state - all day long.

My point is... don't be afraid to go on to 8lbs and 10lbs (and beyond) when 5lbs gets too easy! There are lots of good workouts that incorporate weights for women. Muscle burns fat and will keep your body looking young. Check out Jeri Love, The Firm or Chalene Johnson for examples of tiny tiny women - some of whom lift some heavy weights. You wont' get bulky I promise!:smile:
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - because you are a woman you will NEVER get bulky muscle. Female bodybuilders work out all day as a career and generally take supplements (some of them illegal and / or not good for them) to achieve a certain look - and even only some of those women are able to do that genetically.

But doing tons and tons of reps at a weight too low for you to make your muscles fail (meaning you couldn't possibly do another rep with good form) won't help you build the kind of muscle that will stoke your metabolism and burn lots more calories. The best part about incorporating weights into your workouts isn't how many calories they burn during your workout (it will be less than a cardio session) but that the muscle you create will burn more calories in your resting state - all day long.

My point is... don't be afraid to go on to 8lbs and 10lbs (and beyond) when 5lbs gets too easy! There are lots of good workouts that incorporate weights for women. Muscle burns fat and will keep your body looking young. Check out Jeri Love, The Firm or Chalene Johnson for examples of tiny tiny women - some of whom lift some heavy weights. You wont' get bulky I promise!:smile:
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Let me try that again. I totally agree with the previous post. You will not bulk up but the weight you are doing is probably not doing a whole lot for you. My FIL has been a trainer and power lifter his whole life and he has trained many women weightlifters and they are not bulky but strong. The muscle you create will help you burn more calories in the long run. There is a difference between toned and bulky. I am striving to become stronger and toned.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have heard many times that women who do only cardio exercise have a higher percentage of body fat that women that also incorporate strength training. Keep in mind that you will continually need a little bit heavier weight if you are indeed increasing your strength! I had a trainer a couple years ago that had me on a pretty strict weight training regiment. I was SHOCKED when my body completely changed with just two weight sessions a week...even when I wasn't doing the cardio on alternate days that I should have been!! It surprised me that I got better results in 90 minutes of weight training each week than I used to get in hours and hours of cardio. It's like the muscle I was building in my arms and legs was helping to burn the fat off of the rest of my body.

I've tried to get the same results again now, and I realize that it is very important to challenge one's self, in order to get the most out of that weight training. My husband and I have started spotting each other, so that we can encourage each other and keep things safe.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The number of calories actually burned during a strength training workout is negligible--I would not try to count it in your total.

The positive changes from strength training occur in between workouts.

A HRM cannot be used as a reliable indicator of calories expended if you are doing a strength workout--the relationship between HR and aerobic intensity does not apply during strength training (unless you are lifting really light weights and dozens of reps--in which case you are no longer doing a strength workout, but a mediocre cardio workout).

I will echo the sentiments of others--women should NOT be afraid of heavier weights. Unless it's a specific exercise for a small muscle group, "lifting' with 5 lb weights is not very effective.