Diet Pills/Supplements?

Options
Has anyone ever had success losing weight with any type of supplement or diet pill? are there even any legitimate, safe pills out there? I am not that interested in the Alli pill, I have heard so many horror stories about it! And of course I understand that diet and exercise is always the way to go. Just curious about this.

-Dani

Replies

• goodtimesdani
    Options
    Has anyone ever had success losing weight with any type of supplement or diet pill? are there even any legitimate, safe pills out there? I am not that interested in the Alli pill, I have heard so many horror stories about it! And of course I understand that diet and exercise is always the way to go. Just curious about this.

-Dani
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I've always been afraid to try anything because I'd rather be fat and alive than thin and dead, or worse, suffer from heart disease or something from the damage caused from pills. I'm very aware of everything I eat or drink, especially medications because of the side effects. I call my friend, who is a pharmacy tech, when I need to take an aspirin because she always knows which brands to take for the particular pain I have. But what do you mean by supplements?? Like vitamins and minerals??
  • goodtimesdani
    Options
    like diet pills such as "slimquick" or "Alli"
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of all the diet pills I have tried: Metabolife, Hydroxycut, Hot Rox, TrimSpa, Formula 9, Zantrex 3, Thyrin ATC, Relacore, Leptopril, Estrin-D, Lean Balance, Lipozene, Smart Burn, Accelis, Corti-Slim, Everslim, Leptoprin, NV, Slimquick, Akavar, and Alli. As you can see there is very little that I haven't tried. The only two that I found any results on is Trimspa and Akavar, and even at that I can't honestly say they worked. Ironically, the one I had the worst side effects on is the one that's FDA approved--Alli. I was speaking with my nutritionist and had said to her that even if they don't work, but in your mind you think they do and that is what helps you stay on track with your eating and exercise, who are you hurting? In all honesty I would say don't waste your money, but then again you need to do what you feel will help. Just make sure it doesn't have any adverse effects to your health.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    never used them, but here is a good article from webmd
    about it.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-drugs-how-much-do-diet-pills-help

basically it says, yes, they can help a bit, but you still have to start eating right and
    exercising for it to work as there is no "magic pill" that will let you keep eating unhealthily
    and still loose weight.

Personally I think that if you are committed to eating right and exercising anyway, why
    take the risks that are associated with these, as you will loose the weight anyway, albeit
    a little slower then you would with them.
    But isn't that a symptom of our society anyway? I.E. nothing is ever good enough, fast enough
    for us. I guess that's why the fast food industry does so well here. :ohwell:
  • blherce
    Options
    I have tried MOST of them out there. I used to work at a gym and they were readily available. Basically, they made me feel jittery for a couple days, but never took away my hunger. Most of the time I would feel a little sick to my stomach, then when I did get hungry I was STARVING and had to eat something before I felt really bad. I do keep a bottle for emergency purpose (basically if I have had a bad few days of eating) but then I only take 1 and that is it for the day. I dont recommend them necessarily, but sometimes they give me a little "umph" to not eat so much after days of piggin out. Make sense?
  • jcummings69
    Options
    If there was a diet pill that actually worked, everyone would be skinny. That's my thoughts on the subject. Save your money!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I did read some studies that said people got the same results from diet and exercise as they did with diet, exercise, and the supplement. But the mind can be a powerful tool and if the supplement is not hurting you, and you are sticking to the diet and exercise plan, and are losing weight, then I would choose it as an option for myself. I say that based on the fact I take a sleep aid occassionally that I think "works" even though the pharmacist says there is no basis for it to work. He also said it is not harmful. So I take it two or three nights when I'm not sleeping well, and I break the cycle of insomnia, then I can sleep well or another maybe months before it happens again.
  • ladydianab
    Options
    I actually just got back from Walmart where I purchased "SlimQuick for women". I thought that it might help. I can't seem to get my appetite under control so I thought that I would try it. If you have tried it what was it like? I am really having a hard time starting to lose weight. I have done this before (several times in fact) and frankly I am tired of losing weight (dieting) and it is hard for me to get motivated. I am overweight, hear me whine. I am reluctant but I know that for my health I have to do it. BTW, in another post I mentioned the book "Where did the Fat go?" by the biggest loser doctor. It is really a good book. I highly recommend it. di
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Diet Pills, maybe some water pills but that's it. If you read the instructions on those though, it says to incorporate with healthy eating and exercise. If you eat better (watch those calories) and exercise you are going to lose weight anyway without the side effects of the pills.

I say, DO NOT USE THEM!
  • ladydianab
    Options
    what helps to sleep? I also have insomnia.
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Diet pills are evil. They're a money drain at best and screw with things like your heart at worst. Save what you would've spent on them for some vitamin pills.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    The only thing I take is a multivitamin - One A Day Weight Control Smart - It has a little caffiene, and some green tea. I don't know if it helps or not, but I haven't taken a multivitamin for years, since I was pregnant and thought I would try that one. When I run out I may get just the regular multivitamin. I don't think weight loss pills are a very good idea as they don't teach lifestyle change :smile: Just my $.02!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is no quick fix for weight loss. You didn't put it on over night, you won't take it off over night.

Alli is too new to allow yourself to be a guinea pig. There have been many FDA approved diet drugs that were all pulled out of the market place within about 5 years of release because of the side effects not discovered or not reported during drug trials.

And....if you follow the diet alli suggests you would loose weight with out the expensive pills, low fat healthy diet. You can either do it on your own or risk crapping your pants by taking the pill and thinking you can eat normal.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for 6 lbs over 6 months (what alli claims is the advantage over placebo) I'll eat healthy and exercise a little more thank you. That's the equivalent of 110 calories or so a day. Or an extra 10 minutes a day doing 80% heart rate aerobic activity. Seriously, I'd rather just do the extra 10 minutes. Really, it's 10 minutes out of your day. That isn't so bad.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    JUST SAY NOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Keep your body healthy
    dd
  • alaskagal
    Options
    what helps to sleep? I also have insomnia.

Melatonin - but please check with your doctor or nutritionist before taking just to be sure this is right for you.

:flowerforyou:
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey MontanaGirl,
    just an FYI, any multivitamin like the One A Day Weight Smart is just that, a multi vitamin. It does very little to nothing to help you lose weight, but is formulated to give you the extra vitamins and minerals that you may be losing from dieting. If you have lost anything, it's all you girl!! :smile:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Cool - Thanks Littleone!! I didn't really think it would do too much, but the extra caffiene is nice since I cut down to 2 cups of coffee because of calorie issues (creamer :tongue: ) Does give me a little energy boost!! :laugh:
  • ladydianab
    Options
    I have to add my update. This afternoon was Hell!!! I took a slimquick pill before work and soon after got this nice little buzz. Not even a fun buzz! My heart was racing and I was talking non-stop. I felt jittery. After I calmed a little I called Walmart to see if I could take them back. Luckily I can and did. Now it is several hours after my little "trip" and I feel awful. Seriously, I feel like I am coming down from a high (I don't really know what that means since I have never done drugs but I do remember in the hospital once I was given morphine for pain and remember coming off of that). I feel the need to throw up. I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought those pills. So... my lesson learned: rely on cutting calories and exercising (which I knew all along). di