Someone help me please :(

Options
I've gained back about 7lbs in the last week. I had a few bingey days and couldn't stop, i've lost so much weight but am so afraid I'm going to gain it all back again. I'm literally sitting here in tears because I can't believe how disgusting I am and how I'm letting myself do this to myself. I'm petrified of gaining it back, but I still have more to lose... even more now. I don't know how to stop sabotaging myself.... it should be easy... I decide what I put in my mouth, but it's so hard. I don't understand how i've let this happen, i'm horrible. Please someone help with any advice?

Replies

• Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi Lozzle

The first thing you need to do is look back at why you binged. Once you can see a pattern then you can work on avoiding it happening again or look at healthier foods to take away the need.

You have done so well so far losing the 35 lbs, so be pleased with that. Looking at your age, are you at University? Are you having trouble with your courses or exams.

I read another post earlier about binging, they suggested sign on here either your news feed or the forums and put what is upsetting you or why you want to binge. By typing it here it might jog you away from doing it or a friend might help you stear clear of bad foods.

If you would like to add me as a fiend I will try to help you.

Andy
    A first name Supporter/Motivator
    Andy
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    you are not horrible !! we all slip... ive done it a million times..... but the main aim is to get back on that wagon!!! this is not the end....... close your eyes and picture yourself looking into the mirror, your goal in the reflection.... that is you!!! you are well on your way!! you can do this. you just have to make some better choices. were all here with you!!! x
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Add me if you need more friends to motivate you! Everyone binges. We all go up and down. But the best way I have found to avoid it is not keeping those bad foods in the house, and if I feel like binging I will post on MFP first about how I want to eat McDonalds, or whatever, and usually people talk me out of it before I can get there! haha Working out does a great thing for stress too. :) Good luck losing the rest of your weight, you can totally do this girl! I know dedication when I see it, and the fact that you use MFP, and are asking for help, and have lost so much weight already tell me that you are dedicated to being the size you want to be! Keep your head up!
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey.

Hey.

Breathe.

You are going to be okay. Really.
    I've been in this place, too. You may feel awful right now, but it will pass.
    When it does, give yourself a clean slate. Start over like this never happened.
    Who said it should be easy? "Sounds simple" is not the same as "is simple".

Try Lonewolf1507/Andy's advice. It sounds sensible to me, and you may find it works for you.

You are not horrible. You and your body are awesome - remember that!
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree dont be so hard on your self Hun x You will be fine, just jump back on and think of the massive loss you will have soon!.

Why dont you leave the scale alone for a while and just measure?

Good luck x
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you couldn't possibly have gained 7 pounds. If it takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound, then you would had to have eaten an extra 24, 500 calories! I'm sure there is water, bloating, etc. Relax, refocus, and it will fall off as quickly as it came on.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    noone here is perfect. You have made some changes that resulted in a 35 pound weight loss. That is awesome. Something triggered you to break your new habit and return to an old one that many of us know well. Eating. If it is possible, maybe use this time to think about what happened right before you went into your eating moment. When you have it named try to think of what you can do the next time this happens that will be different. It isn't as easy as think about it once and it won't ever happen again or, well, none of us would be on this site, right? anyway, it will take time and practice but keep telling yourself (when you are not in an eating moment) how you will react with A happens - so that when A does happen (and it will) you will have worked out your new response which will increase your odds of success. Good luck to you in reaching your goals. You will I am sure.
  • lescooper123
    Options
    Hang in there.. just keep on going! we all slip! Dont be so hard on yourself!
  • shimewazaMan
    shimewazaMan Posts: 413
    Options
    It's OK hun. We all have those weeks (in my case, years). I know it's hard, but try not to beat yourself up about it. It happened. It's over. All you can do is move on. When I have a day or week like that, I try to use it to re-motivate myself and re-commit myself to a healthy life style. And definitely, as Andy indicated, if you can determine the reason for the binge, that will go a long way toward helping you prevent it from happening again! Good luck hun! Remember, we've all been there and we're all here to help eachother deal with stuff like this. :o)
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to use my blog to record my feelings every day so that I can see how I was feeling when I binge. I keep it private so that I can type anything that I want. I am an emotional eater!
    Good Luck - you can get back into the swing and go strong!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh honey I wish I could give you a hug right now. I did the SAME THING just a couple of weeks ago. I put 4 lbs right back on that I had just lost. i was really upset...but a lot of it was water weight, salty foods, new exercises, (period, because let's face it, LOTS of water weight there) and all manner of things. just refocus and go back to the healthy eating. Stay the course. it will come back off. Mine almost has! One more LB to go and I'm back where i was.

Whatever you do:
    Don't give up on yourself. You have come SO far.
    Stay the course
    Remember that you can always do better on the next meal
    Know that you are AMAZING. you lost 35 lbs. That's freaking AWESOME! Don't give up!!

I use to binge it and it was ALWAYS because I was upset about something or I couldn't face someone that was upset with me. Doritos had no hope of survival when I was that way. Find a new outlet for this (walk around, write it out, scream into a well, go running, anything) and you'll feel much better.
  • jmart53
    jmart53 Posts: 47
    Options
    OK, first find out what caused you to binge, was it stress, did something happen to get you emotional? Find the cause and work on that. You are not any of those things you called yourself. You are a wonderful person struggling like the rest of us. You have done so well, give your self some credit and realize YOU matter. Friend me if you like, i would love to keep in touch and cheer you on. That's what is so great about this site, your friends really care.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you couldn't possibly have gained 7 pounds. If it takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound, then you would had to have eaten an extra 24, 500 calories! I'm sure there is water, bloating, etc. Relax, refocus, and it will fall off as quickly as it came on.

^^^^^this

OP did not really gain 7 pounds.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and relax. So you messed up, it's ok. We all do it sooner or later. Look back at how and what you are eating. Are you eating enougH? What helped me is having a small treat every day, whether it's a small piece of chocolate or a cupcake. Remember this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think you should stop right now and take a deep breath. Better? =)

Now, forget the weight you put on and restart yourself again as if you just started MFP. I lost 20 pounds, then another 5, then gained 10. I quit for a while, but then realized the weight wasn't going to come off by itself, so I started over last week and I already lost 5 pounds, so I am back to 20 pounds lost. Now, I am just going to continue where I left off.

It's not a big deal. Look how much you lost so far!! You gained 7 pounds, but you still weigh less than what you started at. Compare some pictures of the beginning and now, and see the difference you made so far. Seven pounds doesn't seem like a lot anymore, does it? Finish today and then tomorrow, start over, or at least re-concentrate on your goals. You did this one pound at a time in the beginning, and you can do it again now, even if you have 7 pounds to lose again. Once you get those 7 pounds gone, I know you will be even happier than you were when you first reached that weight.

Good luck! And you can add me if you want! =)

Also, I realized you said 7 pounds in the past week... I don't think that can be possible unless you are retaining water or your scale is broken. I think you should wait it out for a couple days and see if it is really 7 pounds.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how disgusting I am and how I'm letting myself do this to myself

I'm not worried about the water weight but his concerns me. You are NOT disgusting. A number is slightly more than it was. It does not change who you are as a person. It changes nothing other han a number.

When I get to my goal weight I'm not having a specific weight. I'll be having a range that is my goal. If I'm in that range I'm fine.

Write your feelings down. Why did you binge? What were you feeling? How much did you go over calorie wise?
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You'll be OK sweetie, don't be sad.:sad: I did the same thing this week, and 3 weeks ago too. Nobody's perfect, just keep doing what you were doing before, you already know what works for you. Lots of water, healthy foods (eat every 3 or 4 hrs) and exercise. You'll feel great in a few days, then you can remember how successful you were with getting back on track! You're strong...you know it. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You need to take a couple of deep breaths it will be okay. Don't be so hard on yourself that can end up making things worse you can do this just take it one day at a time. Work on that first things will be okay.
  • AGldnGrl
    AGldnGrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Some really good advice here! So many caring people!

I'm trying the below and perhaps it may help you too.

Take a few deep breaths and tell yourself over and over. I DESERVE TO BE HEALTHY! This is a life style change. Food is fuel to my body. I will eat foods that are nutrient dense, as close to nature as possible [not processed] and in portions that will keep my body healthy.

There is no one else on this earth the same as you, hence the word "individual". You are a gift to the world and you deserve to inhabit a healthy body so you may live a full and fun filled life...You are a beautiful being and the "shell" you inhabit needs to reflect the TRUE YOU!

I fell off the wagon and waited 6 mos before I decided to hop back on...20 lbs later! I am so happy you are keeping yourself closer to your goal.

Get back on there GIRL...you DESERVE IT!!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Dude.

BREATHE.

WE ALL mess up. WE ALL go on bingers. It happens, that's LIFE!

Stop beating yourself up. Congratulate yourself on how much work you have done. Pick yourself up, and CARRY ON. :flowerforyou:

You are doing it, this is a hiccup!