I'm sad!!

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
I just had a talk with my boss and she told me that I need to start looking for another job because if we don't get some work between now and October we will have to shut our doors. I love my job and dont want to work any where else. I can't afford to wait until we close our doors to start looking. Who knows how long it will take to find something else. I love working here. But then if I do find something else before the doors close, should I take it. What if at the last minute something comes through and we don't have to close?? I am so confused and sad!!!

Memaw

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that! :cry: Things are getting tight where I work too. :ohwell: I'm a believer in everything happens for a reason. It will all work out. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone whose hubby has been laid off 4 times in the last 10 years...It is easier to find a job when you are employed. If you wait to start looking until the layoff...you will jump at anything...which is not always a good thing. Remember you may be able to file for unemployment as well! Either way...I wish you good luck!
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    That's awful! I'm so sorry :cry: I too believe that everything happens for a reason. I hope you guys find some work, but you should probably look around for available jobs just in case.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. It's sad, scary, frustrating, soooo many things!

I've been through that several times in the past, and have found that when you put it all out on the table, both "old" and "new" employers can (at times, not ALWAYS) be extremely helpful.

Sit down with your boss, and explain to her two things:

1. that you need to line something up in the unfortunate event that things don't go well. Ask for a letter of recommendation, point out some of the great things you've done while working there, and ask if she/he would mind fielding phone calls from prospective employers when things get serious (after first interviews, when you're sure you'd actually like working where you've interviewed, etc.)

2. that you are willing and able to do everything you can to help the business succeed with the hope of never needing that "backup contingency". Are there any areas you see that can have cost-cutting, or be done more efficiently? Are you willing to work a few less hours a week to save on payroll costs, with the potential being long-term job stability? Are there extra tasks you can take on to save other places?

When you are interviewing/job hunting:

1. Explain that you have a current job, and that you would prefer to stick it out as long as possible in order to help the company pull through a tough time, but that if the new company needs you to start right away, you are absolutely willing to discuss that as well. Throw in the fact that times are tough and you are a loyal employee (and will be for them, too) who is doing everything you personally can to ensure the success of the company you're with; however, this may or may not make a big enough impact and you need to be prepared in the "worst case scenario".

2. If you do go on to part time with your current job, your new job may be able to start you off on the remainder of your hours, especially in the beginning when you're training, etc.

Times were a lot different when I used those scenarios.... so they may or may not work now.... however, I have had success twice with that, and was able to just move on board with the new company after helping the old close their doors, etc.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I wish you the very best luck!! As AwMyLoLo said, things always tend to work out in the end. :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Look for another job. If you get it and everything is good with your current job, you can make the decision then.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Hubby's been laid off since November so definitely start looking now. It could be a while before someone bites!
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Sorry to hear that

Its happening everywhere. My thought is to look for another job as soon as time permits. Obviously there is no decision to make until another offer is tabled.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I agree with laura11248

I quit a job that I was putting in way too much overtime because the expectations were unrealistic. I did not have a job lined up. It took me 6 months to find a position. I applied for 120 jobs, got over 40 1st interviews, 20 2nd interviews...I was told 12 times that I finished second (could be a line). It was very frustrating. People kept asking me why I wasn't working yet. I'll never do that again.

Sounds like your boss will give a reference so take them up on it especially if they won't mind you going for interviews.

I am finally at a job I like (best in 18 years) but it took 3 years after I quit and worked a couple of jobs for a 1 year or so in between.

Things do happen for a reason:flowerforyou: