Deadlift = dizzy?

Options
jarrettd
jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
I did deadlift sets tonight, Day 19 of Phase 2, Lean Hybrid Muscle Reloaded Program.

135 x 5
140 x 3
145 x 3
150 x 2 (new personal best)

When I put the last rep on the floor and began to straighten up, I got incredibly dizzy and had to grab the floor. I kept my head down and breathed slowly and evenly for a moment, then tried to stand again. Ringing ears, visual halo, face tingly...the whole 9 yards. I had to hold on to the power rack for a full 3 minutes before I felt 100% again.

So, is this a function of my form, my breathing, or nutrition/training related? I had no pain or other symptoms; just the dizziness. My husband was quite alarmed and will be resistant to me going all-out if this happens again. What to do?

(I don't know if it matters, but I'm 45 yrs old, 5'11', 152#, and my cals have been slightly in deficit this week due to nightshift.)

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR!

I get dizzy on occasion on all different kinds of lifts. I think maybe just the motion of reaching down and up quickly can do it. I wouldn't worry unless it is something happening all of the time.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Low blood pressure after an efforts?

If it does it again I would see a Dr
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    When I lift and strain really hard, my blood sugar crashes. Weightlifting especially when I do deadlifts or squats for a while makes me shaky and usually a banana or something sweet will get me right back.

I'd suggest having something a little sweet (fruit, some juice maybe) before you start. It seems to help me quite a bit.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. If you feel like it's more serious, you should go see a doctor.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Could be how your breathing
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Or not enough glucose... Carbs or low blood sugar
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Make an effort to concentrate on your breathing. If I am not thinking about, I catch myself holding my breath from time to time. Deadlifts (particularly in the PR range) are notorious for making people hold their breath.....even if they know better.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just means your doing it right and lifting heavy. I frequently get a head rush after lifting heavy. Feel a little woozy and then the endorphins kick in as I realize what I accomplished!

Great job on the PR by the way!
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I have an idea of what to watch out for now. Appreciate the replies!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    It's normal and comes from holding our breath and increasing our internal pressure We should be doing this to stabilize our core and lower back, but sometimes that can lead to some pretty nasty side-effects. Like that you-tube video posted or the feelings we get. I see stars and are dizzy often. I even feel like puking (or pooing) on occasion during the lift itself - especially as I near completion of new maxes (2+ body-weight) or are starting to fail 5+ heavy reps. I will hold my breath but air is free, so I try to use it. I breath deep and down into belly, hold it pressurizing my cavity, drive/pull and will open my mouth and attempt the valsalva maneuver (look that up, it helps) and will sometimes yell during maxes or and the end, but it's a tricky thing because if you let all your air out, it can decrease your stability, turn your core into a noodle, and cause an injury. But breathing also prevents you from passing out. It's just a balancing act of using air and keeping your core stable. That's why you should look up the valsalva maneuver to get good core stability, understand what's going on, and not pass out.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Ouch a face full of dumbbells must hurt
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    In addition to what I said earlier - when doing multiple reps, remember to breath at the top (full breath too, don't be in a hurry to re-rep), then regain that core tension as you lower and lift again. One of the worst things you can do is loose tension on the way down as the bar will take you - also holding your breath the entire time is a recipe for disaster. Breathing on the way up and down is nonsense in these lifts, but you do need to breath - so do it at the top where you can afford to lose then regain tension, and if needed, at the bottom again (but it's quite hard to do and properly set in that circumstance). While the lift is going up and down, your internal pressure should be maintained - and that involve holding breath/valsalva.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I did deadlift sets tonight, Day 19 of Phase 2, Lean Hybrid Muscle Reloaded Program.

135 x 5
    140 x 3
    145 x 3
    150 x 2 (new personal best)

When I put the last rep on the floor and began to straighten up, I got incredibly dizzy and had to grab the floor. I kept my head down and breathed slowly and evenly for a moment, then tried to stand again. Ringing ears, visual halo, face tingly...the whole 9 yards. I had to hold on to the power rack for a full 3 minutes before I felt 100% again.

So, is this a function of my form, my breathing, or nutrition/training related? I had no pain or other symptoms; just the dizziness. My husband was quite alarmed and will be resistant to me going all-out if this happens again. What to do?

(I don't know if it matters, but I'm 45 yrs old, 5'11', 152#, and my cals have been slightly in deficit this week due to nightshift.)

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Most likely just your breathing. Just work on that and you'll be fine.