help with food postings/flax seed

Options
Ekboriqua
Ekboriqua Posts: 43 Member
hi everyone, i am new to MFP and noticed i am having problems trying to adding my some of my portions sizes. For instant when i eat white rice i normally eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup full. On this site it only lets me pick 1 cup. There are other items too. So how am I suppose to know the exact amount of calories eaten. Do i need to enter these things as a new item? Even with me using the measurement on the site i am still coming under my calorie goal so it makes me wonder how much am i really under.

I also have another question has anyone heard of flax seed? I used to know a football player and was going to train me (but this is a horse of a differnt color) anyways, he mentioned to me I needed to incorporate this into my meals and or drinks. I know there is liquid and actual seeds. Can anyone give me info on this i just don't know if it has any real benifits.

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

You can change the portion sizes. Either use the drop arrow or else you can type "0.5" in the serves area for 1/2 a cup, etc...
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I add flax to my oatmeal in the morning, 1 tbsp has 2g fiber and 2g protein.
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Options
    I usually buy oatmeal with flax seed in it already. :smile:
  • pattyhild
    pattyhild Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can buy flax seed in bulk, too. To get the best benefits, be sure to grind the seeds before using them (otherwise the seeds will pass through your digestive tract without much benefit). You can put them in anything...I use them in smoothies, oatmeal, salads, soups, lots of things. Super good for you.
  • Ekboriqua
    Ekboriqua Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the infor everyone, I will check on how to change the portion size. As far as the flax seed, what does the flax seed do your you? Cleanse you, speed up metalbolism, helps burn fat? Which is better the liquid or the seeds? I was thinking of purchasing this weekend. Also can preteen take this? I have my son with a weight issue and can't seem to get him motivated to work out and I don't want to force him. But if taking this well help both pf us that would be great. I just don't want to give him anything that might harm him.
  • pattyhild
    pattyhild Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed has a number of potential benefits. You should definitely talk to your doctor about specifics for both you and your son, but here is a link to a pretty comprehensive article:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed

Flaxseeds are not a magic bullet. They will not promote weight loss (aside from the increased fiber you'll be ingesting). They certainly will not take the place of a well-balanced diet and regular exercise, but they do hold promise of long-term health benefits.

Good luck!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Use fractions/decimals.

If you eat 3/4 of a cup, use 0.75 servings of one cup each, et cetera.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I add flax seeds to all kinds of things just because they taste good. :)
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I buy ground flax seed at the health food store. I do not have a grinder. But they need to be kept in the fridge. I will not buy them if they are not already in there.
    I use them because they have essential fatty acids which are good for you.
  • fitbody365
    Options
    I love a roasted golden flax seed and chia seed blend called Fitflax. It's a great choice to boost your immune system, and high in fiber. It's delicious in smoothies, oatmeal and on veggies. It's helped me lose weight and keep it off. I get it on Amazon.