Hi!

Options
My name is Teresa and I am from Arkansas. I have joined this site hoping to gain insight and lose weight! I am a mom, wife, and student. I have had 2 heart attacks and need to lose a lot of weight. I was already over weight but when I quit smoking I gained 40 pounds...So any great ideas out there?

Replies

• teresamanley2002
    Options
    My name is Teresa and I am from Arkansas. I have joined this site hoping to gain insight and lose weight! I am a mom, wife, and student. I have had 2 heart attacks and need to lose a lot of weight. I was already over weight but when I quit smoking I gained 40 pounds...So any great ideas out there?
  • Sherfoodie
    Sherfoodie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the site! Here are my suggestions;
    1.) Use the food diary faithfully! Knowing what and how much you're eating is the first step to eating to live not living to eat, like I've been guilty of. :)
    2.) Start an excersice program. It can be something as simple as walking 20 minutes everyday to start.
    3.) Remember losing weight is not a "diet" its a lifestyle change. Sometimes just throwing out your "fat jeans" is a huge step forward.
    4.) And You are not alone in this fight against fat! We are here to walk beside you, together we can do this!
    When you need an encouraging word, extra support or just a prayer let me know. I will happily walk this walk with you!
    ~Suzanne, Washington State
    5sherwoods@gmail.com
    "I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me!" Phil 4:13
  • EHBRown28
    EHBRown28 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Theresa and welcome to Myfitnesspal.com! I started using this site on August 22 and had 17 pounds to lose. I have lost 5.5 pounds in a bit over a week. Tracking what I eat is very important for me and I've found that I was eating WAYYYYYYYYYYY too many calories. It's no wonder I've crept up the scales.
    Age has something to do with it too - slower metabolism after 40 years old.

I had eaten all meals at home until last night and we went to our local TJ Appleby's, where they have a whole section of healthy choices!!! I ate and have entered their Grilled Shrimp Salad into the database. It was tasty and only 230 calories. I left dinner feeling full and didn't snatch one single french fry from my husband's basket! THAT is big progress for me. :-) Keep in touch with people on the site for inspiration and advice. And TRACK every single bite. Best of luck to you...you can do it!

Beth
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome Theresa!
    We are all working towards that goal everyday. A few things that have helped me get started is getting a pedometer. They don't have to be expensive or fancy but find out what you are already doing and try to beat your steps. Next thing that I have found is not to cut anything strictly out but to work with them in moderation. I am currently reading a book on a high fiber diet. Many health benies to that and you feel full. A thought perhaps :). Drink lots of water. But most of all I think is listen to your body. We are all pulling for you.