Not improving!!!

Options
So my husband and I started this program 9 weeks ago,

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-386-9397-0,00.html

It is an 8 week program so we are obviously finished with it. I can run 30 minutes without stopping, although some days it is extremely difficult. My husband and I did run a 5k on July 4th and finished it without walking. I just feel like by this point it should be getting easier and it truly isn't. I have some good days but even then, I can't seem to run longer than 30 minutes. Is it mental or is it physical? I don't know. Is there any advice out there?

204667.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Replies

• pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    It may be both. I'm sorry to be obvious, but for a long distance run, you need to run slower than you would for a 5K. Are you perhaps overdoing it too early? Even if you feel you can't, walk for a little bit until you catch your breath, and then run again.
  • JanelleWood
    Options
    when u are running listen to an ipod and play a story in ur head. It is all mental i promise you. U have to train your mind to go past the 30 minute mark otherwise it never will. When you do what I said above you will feel burned out and exhausted but after about 35 min it will pass and u will progress :)
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k. Some days it is going to be difficult. That's just a fact. It doesn't matter how long you have been running for, it happens. Running is about 90% in your head.

Like pange said, learning your right pace is important too.
  • red5
    red5 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Running has always been difficult for me. I just started to be able to run on the elliptical machine and I can go 4 miles on there in 30 mins. I am still very much over weight so I am proud to be doing that. When I want to quit I hear Jillian Michaels saying" Its hard to breath but you are still breathing." Then it is easier to push myself further. I am hoping to be able to run 45 mins on the elliptical machine in another 3-4 weeks. Keep your head up the way it sounds you are doing great!!!!