Thoughts on coffee- hinder weightloss?

Options
toshie333
toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
i regularly have skinny lattes from a coffee shop. They are a chain so provide nvs. Do you think that essentially coffee x skimmed milk is going to hinder my loss if I count the calories. I hear all sorts on these forums. Some good, some silly but this one I wanted to check out....

Replies

• pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee throughout. If its coffee at home, I just log the milk I use (don't take sugar). If I have a coffee out I use their websites to log the actual cals. So long as it fits in my limits, no prob!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd say no - as long as you count it.
    You can find some info that says coffee isn't good for weight loss - but I find I have more get up and go with a coffee, so it's helping me.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lattes/coffee have (or don't have) carbs, sugar, calories, vitamins, etc just like every thing else. And if they have nvs, use it and log it like you do every thing else. Stay within your MFP limits and it's a non-issue.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 2-6 cups of black coffee almost every day this year (since I started my weight loss). Not an in depth study but I would say it does not hinder weight loss.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think it helps since it blunts my appetite.
  • martuniia
    martuniia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love coffee, drinking few cups a day and it doesn't affect my weight loss. I drink black coffee no sugar, but if I fancy a lattee or similar I would just log it in. One a day shouldn't make a differrence. Enjoy it!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Why would drinking coffee hinder your weight loss? Even with milk and sugar it can only be about 40 kc a cup. Now if you're drinking 10 cups a day and those are large ones, then maybe you need to think about cutting back.. although with that kind of caffeine boost you'll probably need to do it gently! :laugh:

Any beverage you are used to having, as long as it's drunk in moderation, is not going to hinder your weight loss as long as you are within your calorie limits and exercising :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • chantabelle
    chantabelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a 2ltr bottle of water on my desk and I drink this throughout the day then when I get home in the evening I have a couple of black coffees with a sweetner or coffee with skimmed milk and a sweetner. I love my coffee so cant give it up totally but as long as I drink my 2ltrs of water I day this is my treat in the evening :-)
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 2-6 cups of black coffee almost every day this year (since I started my weight loss). Not an in depth study but I would say it does not hinder weight loss.

^^^^^~This~^^^^^^ :bigsmile:
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If coffee hindered weight loss I'd have to give up on the idea on losing weight. I drink 2 cups a day and there's no way I'm giving it up.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you're counting it in your calories, you're good. The same thing goes for chocolate, wine, hard liquor, beer, and bacon. You can eat anything you want - as long as you have a healthy diet you're adding it to and you keep it inside your calorie allotment.

Keep your macros (proteins, fats, carbohydrates) in reasonable balance, get all your nutrients, drink plenty of water, and anything that fits in the remaining cracks (and you can fit a LOT of coffee in the remaining cracks!) is perfectly fine.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    I've drank 2 cups of coffee a day all along.
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee everyday just as long as it’s within my calorie allotment for the day. I usually have a cup of coffee with a tbs. of fat free half and half and a Splenda. Delish!
  • Homebody39
    Homebody39 Posts: 6
    Options
    Coffee helps me with weight loss - I drink two cups in the morning with breakfast, and two cups in the late afternoon. I use fat free creamer and log the calories. The afternoon coffees really help with cravings and pre-dinner snacking. Just don't drink it too late if you're sensitive to caffeine- you'll be up all night and starving!
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt survive the day without coffee. But I've lost almost 50 lbs so far and I drink 2-5 cups EVERY day. So I would say its not hurting anything.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    coffee itself, the caffeine, rather, has a thermogenic effect which accelerates fat burn. lattes and cappucinos, on the other hand, are another matter entirely because of all the other crap that goes into them. VERY bad.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Hell no. coffee actually speeds up the metabolism. Now coffee with a ton of sugar and milk in it will hurt you, but if its "skinny" or light and fits into your calories/macros go for it
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    coffee per-se no

Not realising how many calories are in store drings - possibly

My cup of instant coffee and mil is about 50cals - Costa and Starbuks manage to make that about 4-500
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yep, coffee helps me greatly with curbing my appetite after work. I drink 2 6oz cups a day and I think it his helpful more than harmful for me. Yes, the caffiene is not good for you, but it won't affect weight loss. In fact, there are some studies that show it actually boosts metabolism.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Holmfridur_Gestsdottir Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There is some research on this topic out there. I personally drink it most days, but I brew it at home. If you are doing it yourself, you know exactly what is in there. If you don't, you don't ;) So if you are not sure, it might be a good idea to ask how many cals are in the latte and what exact ingredients are there. But all in all, I think that in moderation there is nothing wrong with drinking coffee on a diet.

Found this article and thought you might find it interesting.

http://www.kriskris.com/13-ways-coffee-can-improve-your-health/