Diets that work and diets that dont

Options
lucysposaro
lucysposaro Posts: 132 Member
Ok so i know i have not been on here for some time i have been way to busy but have lost of kg without having to track anything so latley i have been doing alot of research on the net about diets etc and what works and what dosent. It has come to my attention no matter what die your on someone out there will say it does not work you need this you need that and some say try this diet because its better etc. THERE ARE JUST TO MANY DIETS this has confused me so much to the point i dont know what is healthy and what is not. I was advised by my doctor to go on a vegan diet etc i looked hard into this and seen something about a raw vegan diet eating nothing but fruit.....I went out brought a box of bananas 30kg worth started eating them still am to finish off the box these people live off them and apples etc....I cant seem to stick to it seems so hard then they bag people who eat meats etc,,,,So then i come across a fitness model who has a 6pack and all and she tells me to eat meats and other stuff that vegans say is bad for you and the cause to my stomach problems.....I have had shakes in the past but i find out i cant tolerate milk so i had stop taking them....No matter what diet there is something is always wrong with it and they all make you feel crap and tired. I just want to lose the baby buldge i have had for 4 years now and love handles thats it but no everyone makes it complicated with 100000000000000000000 diet plans and everyone giving cross answers......Some people also say you should not count calories because it means nothing and then you get people who say never eat over your calories and so on do you get what i am saying.....This makes me want to SCREAM honestly.

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest with you. "Diets" don't work. Period. If it's going to work, it needs to be something that's going to be sustainable for your life, not just for a while until you reach your goal weight.

There are people who say that everybody's the same, nobody's different, but frankly, I disagree. We all have different genetic heritages, and our ancestors came from different places where their bodies evolved to eat different things. I know a girl who is fantastically healthy as a vegetarian. I know another who is fantastically healthy as a vegan. Personally, if I try to go even one day without animal protein, I feel terrible. I don't think my body's made for that. And that's ok.

Watch your portions. Eat healthy foods. Eat whole foods instead of processed foods as often as possible. Drink plenty of water. Exercise. Do cardio and a little strength training (you dont' have to do weights, push-ups and squats and other bodyweight exercises are sufficient). If you hate exercise, find a sport or activity that you do enjoy, and do it often. These are the keys to healthy weight loss. Through the process of developing healthy habits, you'll find the foods that make you feel good and keep your body working at its best. For me, it's meats and veggies, low on the fruits and grains. It might not be the same for you. You just experiment, and have patience. It's not going to happen overnight. But it WILL happen.
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    less in more out. Everythng else is just a riff on that
  • lucysposaro
    Options
    I have been eaiting bananas all week due to a raw food diet i was following and just found out i gained back the 2 kgs i am not impressed nor happy my weight was dropping before i started the bananas thing :(
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have been eaiting bananas all week due to a raw food diet i was following and just found out i gained back the 2 kgs i am not impressed nor happy my weight was dropping before i started the bananas thing :(

You said you were having success before, right? Before you started trying these diets? Go back to what you were doing that worked. Bananas are great, but no way do they provide all the nutrients you need for a healthy body. In addition to that, I don't know about you, but they constipate me. If you haven't pooped in a while, that'll certainly show up on the scale.
  • lucysposaro
    Options
    Hi yes i was actually just talking about what i was doing before with my partner and it was working for me but i dont know why i gave up....All i remember i was doing was exercise on the treadmill for 30mins 4 days a week i think......I would not eat over 1200 calories a day and i think just drinking water.....But i think i was hungry alot....My partner agrees i should go back to doing that does not matter what i eat as long as its under my calories and i exercise?
  • fatimaaamir
    fatimaaamir Posts: 11
    Options
    I disagree completely. Only eating bananas due to a raw food diet? That's tons of carbs, tons of sugar and hardly any protein.
    If you want to lose weight and fat rapidly, going on a low-carb, high protein and low-sugar diet really does work. But it's not very sustainable, so don't keep it up for very long periods of time. Get at least 1,200 calories a day AT LEAST because otherwise you'll store fat. Seriously.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. Eating healthy and portion control does.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here recommend eating your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) minus 15%. You can find the TDEE calculator on the web. It's likely that it will suggest over 1200 cals a day which will be good news if you're too hungry on that number.

I worked mine out and, minus the 15% it came in at around 1400 a day, if I do this I will eat 1750 cals less than my TDEE per week. So, if you believe the 3500 deficit to lose 1lb theory, this means I'll lose 1/2 lb a week. Or if I do three decent workouts and don't eat extra, about a pound. Which is, in fact, what I'm losing, so it works for me.

The calculation will take you 5 minutes, so it's worth the time to find out where you stand.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yeah, did you actually think "I'm definitely getting all of my macros covered by eating only bananas"?

Just cut back on calories in general. Eat whatever you want as long as it's in your calorie goal. Try to make better choices with food. That's a hell of a lot more effective long term.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    you have to make a life change.. like we used to eat pizza and fast food ect.. instead of naturally grabbing a big sloppy cheeseburger, i order something less fattening and less caloric ..its become that natural for me .. you have to find what works for you.i been at this for 2 1/2 yrs now and sometimes its a battle..i can see myself slip in to old habits sometimes .due to the length of time i have worked hard at this , its all about changing habits and finding what works for you.
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Yeah, did you actually think "I'm definitely getting all of my macros covered by eating only bananas"?

Just cut back on calories in general. Eat whatever you want as long as it's in your calorie goal. Try to make better choices with food. That's a hell of a lot more effective long term.

Yeah, what she said.

And if hunger is a big issue for you, find a macro combination which controls your hunger. Some people seem to do fine on high-volume, low calorie foods, but those leave me really hungry. I'm more of a low-volume, high-fat sort of gal. I don't get a lot of food for my 1400-odd calories, but I'm almost never hungry.
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to count calories along with a Bodybugg device to measure my calorie burn which you can order at Bodybugg.com and by finding activities I like doing each week I've lost 84 lbs. I still have about of 20 lbs of love handles and lower abdominal fat to work off but I'm satisfied as I am at 49 years old, even if I never lose the rest. I agree with others not to "diet" but find that lifestyle change that you'll live with the rest of your life. I will count calories, exercise with tennis, cycling, resistance band workouts and running/hiking as my new lifestyle. I focus on eating protein and fruits/vegetables which average 4 calories per gram rather than fat which has 8 calories per gram. The protein makes me more alert. I also choose whole grains, oats and wheat breads whenever possible. They make me feel "full" and less hungry longer than processed foods. This new lifestyle really has helped my self-esteem, my relationships and my overall joy and happiness in life. I wish you the same...
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this website. - 30 bananas a day:
    http://www.30bananasaday.com/

A bit wacko.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I dont agree.

hormones up
    hormones down

Some ppl need to eat more to regulate and others need less.

Its no longer a numbers game in my book.
    The 1200 calorie crew can attest to that.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    The definition of a diet is food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health.

It will be either a good or a bad diet. Everyone has a diet but one with a single food source is ridiculous.
  • lucysposaro
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments please go on if more needs to be said i think i am just going to to go back to eating under my calories and not eating high in fat etc also drinking my water and sticking to the treadmill. I think i have just had a bad year with all this diet stuff. I really thought the whole raw food diet thing would help me i guess not. I think some people were just lying to me about it and there is a certain something missing there. I will have some troubles along the way bit i was just looking at some before after and pics and they have inspired me.. If they can do it then i can to and nothing can stop me. My boyfriend supports me and wants to help me so im going to go for it.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I dont agree.

hormones up
    hormones down

Some ppl need to eat more to regulate and others need less.

Its no longer a numbers game in my book.
    The 1200 calorie crew can attest to that.

I think the reason why eating more works is that when you eat too little your body outsmarts you and you either cheat or binge or stop moving so much in daily life. But in the end you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Muscles let you eat more so thats tricky too. With hormones unless you have a condition that creates a hormone imbalance I am not sure that over a month it makes all that much difference. So you retain water for a wee bit but on a cal deficit the weight loss catches up eventually
  • lucysposaro
    Options
    Thats the website i got this all from brought a ebook watched all the videos i was convinced it would work for me 30bananas a day diet people swear by it but that is what i was saying i think there is more to it but not sure what because it did not make scence that i put on weight when starting it as before it i did not put on weight sooo i am a little pissed :)
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Why did your doctor suggest going vegan? Vegans (most of them) eat a wide variety of foods, and not just bananas. There's no quick and easy permanent fix. You're going to have to change your whole lifestyle and relationship with food in order to lose the weight and maintain your new weight.