I'm never going to get thin!

Options
I go to the gym 5 times a week and cycle to work and back and nothing is happening! I feel so discouraged by it all. I'm aware it's probably because I don't have the cleanest diet, but I don't eat fast food or fizzy drinks/soda and I stick to my calories and there's still no difference! Sob.

Replies

• Mizzy91
    Mizzy91 Posts: 63
    Options
    Hey

When you say you don't have the cleanest of diets, what are you eating?

Have you measured yourself also, inch loss is just as good as weigh loss.

You will be thin!! positive thinking, your doing really really well x
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    TraceyMarieHarnett Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you're not seeing a difference on the scale? It could be that you're building muscle, but losing inches....Cheer up!! It sounds like you're on the right track and you'll see results soon!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? There might be something biological going on. I have PCOS and I go to the gym 6 days a week burning like 700-1500 HRM calories a day and I still have a hard time losing weight too. Also, maybe go see a dietitian? I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard some people have a hard time losing if they have too many carbs, fat, sugar etc etc. depending on their body. They might be able to shed a little light on that.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This was more of a self-indulgent rant rather than a call for critique, but I'm open to critique so I'll make my diary public.

I realise I went a bit mad on ice cream recently. But it's been sunny here in the UK for the first time since September/October...so that's my excuse. Also i have 0 cooking skills.

By the way I'm 5ft3, currently weigh around 128lb and want to weigh around 110lb.
  • Barkley87
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? There might be something biological going on. I have PCOS and I go to the gym 6 days a week burning like 700-1500 HRM calories a day and I still have a hard time losing weight too. Also, maybe go see a dietitian? I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard some people have a hard time losing if they have too many carbs, fat, sugar etc etc. depending on their body. They might be able to shed a little light on that.

Yeah I've been thinking of going to a nutritionist actually. I might start with a personal trainer at my gym who also does nutrition (depending on if I can afford it), so that might help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 22lbs, so some of those pounds are just vanity pounds (theres nothing woring with that i lost 18lbs to get to my goal weight) so you need to be aware that they are tough to get rid of, and require a fair bit of work, espeically if you are a fairly active person to start with. unfortunately that means you will have to concentrate on your diet more, make sure you are getting lots and lots o fprotein, and focus on strength training. good luck!
  • Barkley87
    Options
    Also to the two above posters, I do just mean on the scale. I've taken photos and can't visibly see any inch loss either (but no, haven't measured).
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel.
    I cannot seem to shift my final 18 pounds
    And yes the hot weather in england is not helping!!
    We can do it though,
    We just have to be prepared to put in lots of work!!!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Extra work...ugh...I'm sitting at 91 lost with 24 to go and the scales haven't moved in a week--and that's not really bad. I noticed yesterday that my wedding band really really has to be resized or I'm going to lose it. My watch band need ANOTHER link taken out of it or I'm going to start wearing it as an elbow charm. My new size 10 wardrobe has room in the waist bands already.

What I'm trying to say, is that there is something to seeing a plateau. At some point, all of us will be hitting maintenance. I think it's great to see the scales stay the same every day to give us an idea and a feeling that yes, when it is said and done, we can maintain the good work we have started and will be able to continue to enjoy the hard work and dedication to a healthier lifestyle!

Here's to a pound gone forever--91 times over!
  • daniela_dimech
    Options
    My name is Daniela

The best thing to do if you love to eat is, eat 5 -6 small meals a day , i never tried it .

So i decided what the hell let me give it a try , i started 2 weeks ago and already lost :D its amazing and its so much fun , check out my blog i found that it keeps me motivated posting my meal plans and recipes :) everything is so good and low in calorie and very healthy :)

especially if you love peanut butter i found this amazing peanut butter for 2 tbsp only 45 calories , 1.5 fat amazing :) and so goooddd !!!!!!!!!!!

let me know what you think , and also message me with any questions
    im still new at this blogging stuff but i want to help everyone who struggles with weight loss , ive struggled and it wasn't easy but it is possible :)

Happy Healthiness everyone :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY BLOG ---> http://healthy--happiness.tumblr.com/
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Your Barking up the wrong tree!!! I checked with Health Check Systems dot com (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm#frame) and here is what they had to say.

A woman 5'3" with a small frame should weigh 111 - 124, a medium frame 121 - 135 and a large frame 131 - 147. Even with a small frame, you weight was within the norm, in fact at your current weight of 117, I would say you are at your perfect weight, so quit worrying about your weight and go out and enjoy life.

There are a lot of people on this list who are obese and super obese, this is what this list is for, not for people who want sub- normal weights.

The reason you can't lose weight is the fact that you are already at your perfect weight, accept it and move on to something new. :smile:
  • Barkley87
    Options
    Your Barking up the wrong tree!!! I checked with Health Check Systems dot com (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm#frame) and here is what they had to say.

A woman 5'3" with a small frame should weigh 111 - 124, a medium frame 121 - 135 and a large frame 131 - 147. Even with a small frame, you weight was within the norm, in fact at your current weight of 117, I would say you are at your perfect weight, so quit worrying about your weight and go out and enjoy life.

There are a lot of people on this list who are obese and super obese, this is what this list is for, not for people who want sub- normal weights.

The reason you can't lose weight is the fact that you are already at your perfect weight, accept it and move on to something new. :smile:

I'm 127, not 117. And yes, I have a small frame. So maybe 111 would be better for me, which is only 1lb above my goal weight.

I also think it's rude and offending to say I'm not allowed to lose weight or complain about having difficulty losing weight just because I'm not obese. I want to look my best and that's what I'm working towards. "Normal" (whatever that is) people are allowed to want look better and be healthy just as much as overweight people are.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

This is exactly what someone told me recently. I am I the healthy zone. Trying to lose an additional 5 lbs or so just is not only unnecessary, but maybe not healthy.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Yeah I've been thinking of going to a nutritionist actually. I might start with a personal trainer at my gym who also does nutrition (depending on if I can afford it), so that might help.

Depending on your insurance a nutritionist may be fully covered. I have Highmark Blue Shield and they cover 7 visits a year 100% - not even a co-pay. It's worth looking in to.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    im relatively the same height, weight 130. Been at this a long time and my weight fluctuates a lot. Let me know what works for you id be interested in trying it
  • Barkley87
    Options

This is exactly what someone told me recently. I am I the healthy zone. Trying to lose an additional 5 lbs or so just is not only unnecessary, but maybe not healthy.

I'm not, see my above post. I'm small framed so I'm actually overweight.

Besides, before I got my office job and started eating lots of cakes I was actually at around 110-115 lbs pretty consistently and I was fit, toned and slim. It seems more likely that this was my ideal weight and I'm simply trying to get back to that.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    According to MFP profile, you joined in April 2012.
    And you have lost 5 lbs

So that is not so terrible ! Losing 5 lbs in less than 2 months, when your objective is only 11 lbs away, means than in 4 months or so you should reach your goal ! :bigsmile:
  • Barkley87
    Options

Depending on your insurance a nutritionist may be fully covered. I have Highmark Blue Shield and they cover 7 visits a year 100% - not even a co-pay. It's worth looking in to.

I'm in the UK. Though we have free health care it means we have to pay for things like nutritionists :)