Just joined, needing a kick up the backside! lol

Hi, I need a friendly kick up the backside. So I was 224lbs pre pregnancy and after 10 days post pregnancy was 170lbs approx... and now 12 months later my weight has creeped back up to 184lbs arghhhhhhh I really want to sort myself out before I balloon again, so this is a fresh day and would welcome any support!

The only thing I found with this site is it doesnt take into consideration personal circumstance when calculating calroie intake. I am still breastfeeding, and feed 3-5 times per day, sometimes more, and so the 1200 calories allocated I dont think will be enough for effective weightloss AND breast feeding, and would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me with this!

I have 35lbs to lose to my first goal and self reassessment, and today I am taking my first steps :o)

Replies

• CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    I've lost weight with each of my 4 pregnancies, and ended up regaining it all, and more, postpartum. I also breast fed, and found I was hungrier than ever, and with a new baby, it's not easy to makethe best choices for yourself. I'm finally trying to lose the accumulated weight. I started at 222 lbs (my all-time high), and have lost 11 lbs for far. My goal weight is 150lb. I read on a forum somewhere that you can add breastfeeding to your diary, and it will give more calories to compensate, but not sure how you do it. I'm sure you'll need more than 1200 calories! I have a friend on here who is at 1200, and she's not breastfeeding, and she finds it very hard to stick to. She exercises most days, and eats back those calories. Feel free to add me.
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    1200 is really low, are you exercising? You can set your calories yourself, you don't need to go with what MFP gives you. I eat 1500-1700 per day and I'm losing. Not fast, but steady. I workout with Insanity or Chalean Extreme just about everyday so my burn is high and I need to feed my body.
    Eat healthy, clean foods (non processed) lots of fruits, vegetables & proteins. You can do this!
    Congrats on your baby! :flowerforyou:
  • smyeager84
    smyeager84 Posts: 3 Member
    I gained 25 lbs after having my son while breastfeeding, which was really discouraging. I made it until he was 6 months old EBF but I suddenly lost my supply due to having the stomach flu and working full time. It was so discouraging to gain weight while breastfeeding. I had only gained 30 lbs during my pregnancy and was down by 18 pounds post birth a week later. I didn't start to lose the weight until I was done breastfeeding.
  • thanks ladies, I will have to look around the tools more closely!

I do exercise, I walk everywhere, with the pram and everywhere is hills around here. I also do 90 minutes of karate training 3 times a week, plus practice at home lol I was a keen runner pre-pregnancy but havent looked at running shoes or a tredmill since I was pregnant!

1200 striked me as low too x
  • smyeager84
    smyeager84 Posts: 3 Member
    I believe that Weight Watchers has a program that factors in nursing and the extra calories needed for it. I know it cost money but keeping your supply up is something that I am sure you really care about.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,364 Member
    Hi, I need a friendly kick up the backside. So I was 224lbs pre pregnancy and after 10 days post pregnancy was 170lbs approx... and now 12 months later my weight has creeped back up to 184lbs arghhhhhhh I really want to sort myself out before I balloon again, so this is a fresh day and would welcome any support!

The only thing I found with this site is it doesnt take into consideration personal circumstance when calculating calroie intake. I am still breastfeeding, and feed 3-5 times per day, sometimes more, and so the 1200 calories allocated I dont think will be enough for effective weightloss AND breast feeding, and would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me with this!

I have 35lbs to lose to my first goal and self reassessment, and today I am taking my first steps :o)

There are threads on here about breastfeeding that state you're supposed to add an additional 500 calories (i think) when you're breast feeding, not just for yourself, but so the baby is getting adequate nutrition.

that would put you at 1700 calories....certainly not 1200.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    I think you need somewhere around 1800 MINIMUM calories if you are breast feeding. If you get too low you will decreased milk production
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    You need to kick-up the caloric intake - especially on your workout days. It sounds counter-productive, but you need to eat to lose weight. It keeps your body from going into starvation mode and holding onto fats.
  • LCunkle83
    LCunkle83 Posts: 179
    I know how you feel... I was 139 pre pregnancy, 199 at delivery and lost all of the weight and was back to my 140's... after years of eating unhealthy and being .... well....lazy... I ballooned up to 198 again!! :( I got serious about 2 weeks ago and wanted to start losing the weight and be healthier. I am currently at 190 (as of this morning) so I am thrilled to have lost 8 pounds already...

It def is so easy to put weight on after a child! Much harder to take it off!!

Good luck to you!!
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 360 Member
    I breastfed and I seem to remember 500cals as the daily figure for extra calories you needed for that. One of my mfp friends was exclusively bf til recently as well and I remember that she used 500cals as her daily bf figure too. Be careful that you don't under eat. I have been paying the price of that for the last 3 mths. I went on 1200 cals for about 6 mths and then hit a plateau that I have battled to shake for the last few mths. I think 1200 is way too low if you are in any way active at all. I am now eating over 1780 calories a day and I am not gaining weight...I am thinking I might even be headed towards losing again finally! Make sure you don't eat under your BMR...that's the number of calories your body needs every day to carry out its basic functions. A lot of people here recommend the fat2fit calculators.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

There is other info there too but that should get you started on at least knowing what not to eat under and you could add your bfing 500 (or whatever you decide) to that as your minimum daily total. Best of luck!
  • Evilma
    Evilma Posts: 14
    You can add me. :)
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Good choice to make the lifestyle change. It will change you forever!! Add me if you wish. We are tough!!