I'm hungry: A rare feeling for me. Good or bad?

Options
So I woke up this morning, with an actual feeling of hunger. To be honest, I rarely feel real hunger...which probably explains how I am 230 lbs! I think I subconsciously eat in anticipation of hunger to make sure I don't ever actually 'get' to the point of hungry.

Even if I travel or go for a long car ride, I usually make sure that I have more than enough before the trip, and carry food with me to avoid reaching a point of hunger. I suppose if we looked at our history, maybe its evolution telling me to plan for the worst. The odd thing is that the worst that would happen in today's society, is that we are always 5 minutes away from food - so its not like our cave-man days where we might get too weak to go out clubbing for squirrels or rabbits!

I've heard many times that we shouldn't allow ourselves to get hungry - its better to eat small meals on a regular basis to keep a consistent blood sugar level...blah blah blah...and avoid binging, yada, yada. (Hows that for detail).

Anyways, it occurred to me this morning that maybe I should feel hungry from time to time. I mean, its one thing to eat small meals on a regular basis, but its another to really never 'hear' the sensation of my own body telling me that its time to eat.

Am I alone in never truly feel my body telling me I'm hungry. Let me also be clear that...I can *always* eat...this isn't about just having the ability to eat something. I mean, a real bottom of the stomach feeling that you need food. Thoughts?

Replies

• scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i'm always hungry by dinner time as i have most of my snacks early after noon. throughout the day im a massive grazer, like you said - i prefer to not be too hungry in the day as it can be dangerous especially the days i have no plans. once im bored AND hungry AND stressed the temptation is to there. evenings OH is home so im not bored and have a nice dinner & yogurt to look forward too so i don't feel the need for junk.

so in answer to your q. i think its good to never let yourself get TOO hungry, obviously don't eat if you aren't hungry at all. i snack when im peckish & its seems to be working so far :)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I dont get "hungry" I get sick, I feel like Im going to vomit if I dont eat .... this is possible due to the fact that I forget to eat .... I know it sounds stupid being on a "diet" site and forgetting to eat but my weight was gained hormonally and kept through beer .... I think its healthy to let your body tell you when it needs (hence me not eating till Im told) but I also dont think it should be done to my extreme .... as long as your eating healthy, your not tired, your not ill, and your weight is where it needs to be then its up to you when you eat ............... everyone is different .... experience the hunger and see if you ever want to again lol ... pre packing food prevents making wrong choices when you are hungry ... so maybe its a good thing that you think ahead
  • nessat18
    nessat18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think that was my wake up call when I realized I needed to lose weight, I realized that I had honestly not had hunger pains(tummy asking for food) in a really long long time. I wanted to feel that sensation again so I started to watch what I was eating and now that I am eating healthier and smaller I actually get hunger pains YEAH!!! I love the feeling because I then realize my body needs food and I was the grazer too I would eat and over pack just in case but I just ate and ate...lol.. I think it is totally fine as long as you feed the hunger when your body tells it too!!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I always wait, until I feel slightly hungry (not to much) before I eat my next meal. Listen to your body, and never never eat, just because you are bored or it is lunch time or...... and stop eating, when you are beginning to feel full.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    i hate being hungry personally lol. i would be ok with never having to feel that!
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting over 2 weeks ago. I stop eating at 9p.m. and don't eat again until 1p.m the next afternoon. Just before 1p.m, I'm clock watching as I'm hungry then :laugh:
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When I first started I could eat all day everyday. What I HAD to do was map out my day. I have breakfast between 8 and 9 in the morning then a snack around 1030 or 11 then lunch between 12 or 1 then maybe a snack around 2 or 3 if I'm hungry then supper. The snacks are ALWAYS small and contain a decent amount of fiber to keep myself from getting extremely hungry before meal times. I also make sure that I drink water. Water is usually the key for me here. A lot of times when you're hungry, it's your body's way of telling you that your dehydrated. Try drinking a large glass of water before getting something to eat. Drink the water wait about 10 minutes to see if you're still hungry. If you are then eat. If not then don't. It's that simple. Just follow your body. It's hard most times but that's what you need to do. Your body will tell you. You just have to learn to listen.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm REALLY hungry after my morning workout. I eat soemthing small for breakfast and then head to the gym. I usually eat protein heavy food afterwards.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's good. It means your metabolism is working at the pace it should be.