When does the "plateu" end-I'm trying EVERYTHING!

Options
OK I've been at a plateau for about 6 weeks, no weight lost, actually going up and down the same 1.5 lbs or so. I've upped my calories from 1200 net to about 1350 net per day. I do Zumba and Kickboxing and some strength/abs core classes, work out 4-5 times a week. I've tried doing high-cal days then low cal days to "mix and confuse" the body, my zumba instructor changes up our workouts so we don't plateu. I even do 1 day a week or so where I really don't count calories and have a "cheat" day so to speak and really probably don't go over about 2K.

I lost my first 22 lbs it just melted off and now stuck like chuck.

I've not lost many more inches either since I've plateaued..just a little bit.

I do drink protein shakes alot to build muscle, etc. also take vitamins daily.

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Try eating more for a while..
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Try eating more for a while..

I am :-(
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements too or just using the scale? You might be doing more good than you know.
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you need to eat more - perhaps your TDEE is higher than 1350 calories?

Or failing that, try different workouts for a week to shock your body into submission. I feel your pain though.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am doing measurements and they've been pretty much the same for the past month also. What is TDEE? I have no idea what that means.

I am at a desk job so not really very active during the day. I gained 35-40 lbs a year and a half ago basically from just not moving around and I think my metabolism changed.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just stick to the program. Plateaus are natural. It will pass. Mine did.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back those exercise calories or just the flat 1350?

Oops, sorry. Just saw you said 1350 NET.

Not sure what you can do, other than keep at it. Are you watching your sodium? Some people will encourage you to eat more cleanly. I personally haven't needed to 'eat clean' to lose weight, but maybe it would help you. Or maybe you're already doing it LOL.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Maybe go on maintenance for a week or so. And then drop down 12-15% for your calorie deficit.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try no exercise for 4 days, and keep your diet/deficit the same. It worked for me 2 weeks ago, not sure if it will work for you.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I'm having the same problem... Stuck and not losing... no inches, pounds or anything.

I have also changed up my calories, foods, exercise, water intake and times of day for exercising.

I have no helpful advice, but wanted you to know you arent alone...
  • ElynnPittman
    ElynnPittman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This may not be helpful if you're on a timeline- but I tried just accepting that a plateau was likely so at 25 lbs lost i just reset my calories for maintaining my weight (from around 1400 which was my 2 lbs a week calories to around 1900-2000) and I ended up losing a couple more lbs and have stayed right there for about 2 weeks. In another week i'm going to reset it to losing calories and get back into the gym hard core. My thought is that it'll shock my body again and restart the losing process. (not to mention- if your intent is to maintain, its not disappointing when you see the scale at all!)
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try no exercise for 4 days, and keep your diet/deficit the same. It worked for me 2 weeks ago, not sure if it will work for you.

this ^^ I was stuck at the same weight for 2 months and then I decided to just take a week and relax before getting hard core again. Bam! Dropped 5lbs. Try just giving yourself a week off of exercise and then jumping back on. Your body may need a break.

Good luck and don't quit!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so can't make a judgement call to see if you're eating the 'right' foods. Yes, you might be within your calorie range, but you could be eating something that is triggering water retention.

I also bet that 1350 is STILL not enough for your body to do what it needs to do with all that exercise.

JMHO
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i would try substituting protein shakes with "green" shakes - you know, just all natural foods that are full of fiber and won't stick to your body. i plateu-ed for several weeks after i'd been losing 1 to 2 pounds a week, and then one week all that weight just came off! And I even cut back on my workouts that week! Honestly I think if you stick to what you're doing (that is, working out 4 to 5 times a week and switching up your routine every day), then the weight will eventually come off - perhaps all of the sudden like it did for me.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just stick to the program. Plateaus are natural. It will pass. Mine did.

That's what I like to hear! I've been having the same problem for WEEKS (okay probably more like months). I finally decided to up my calories from 1350 to almost 1600 ... it was scary, but I've been feeling a lot more alert and energetic. I'll let you know if it works for my plateau!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    OK I've been at a plateau for about 6 weeks, no weight lost, actually going up and down the same 1.5 lbs or so. I've upped my calories from 1200 net to about 1350 net per day. I do Zumba and Kickboxing and some strength/abs core classes, work out 4-5 times a week. I've tried doing high-cal days then low cal days to "mix and confuse" the body, my zumba instructor changes up our workouts so we don't plateu. I even do 1 day a week or so where I really don't count calories and have a "cheat" day so to speak and really probably don't go over about 2K.

You've just NOW started a plateau. A plateau is 6 weeks OR more of no weight loss if you've been consistent with diet and exercise.

And it sounds like you eat too little. What do you have your weight loss set to according to MFP?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so can't make a judgement call to see if you're eating the 'right' foods. Yes, you might be within your calorie range, but you could be eating something that is triggering water retention.

I also bet that 1350 is STILL not enough for your body to do what it needs to do with all that exercise.

JMHO

Yep this.

And I was stuck too and I bumped from 1200 to 1500 (and actually some days going as high as 1700, but keeping a 400-500 calorie deficit) and that pushed me out. I would suggest making sure your food is quality and bumping calories a little more.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau after losing 21 pounds. I stayed the same for 8 weeks! I did lose inches though, that is the only reason I didn't go completely insane! Anyway, after 6 weeks I switched to maintenance for about 10 days, then I cut back and in 3 weeks have lost 8 pounds! Worth a try, it worked for me. =)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    This may not be helpful if you're on a timeline- but I tried just accepting that a plateau was likely so at 25 lbs lost i just reset my calories for maintaining my weight (from around 1400 which was my 2 lbs a week calories to around 1900-2000) and I ended up losing a couple more lbs and have stayed right there for about 2 weeks. In another week i'm going to reset it to losing calories and get back into the gym hard core. My thought is that it'll shock my body again and restart the losing process. (not to mention- if your intent is to maintain, its not disappointing when you see the scale at all!)

if 1400 was 2 pounds per week then maintenance would be 2400 minus a couple hundred to account for the lesser body mass. At least 2200 I'd say---so it makes sense that you lost a few more pounds eating 1900-2000 since that was still almost a 500 deficit.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

1350 isn't "eating more" that's like a drop of water in a glass filled with water. Go up higher, The "MINIMUM" a person should eat is bodyweight * 10. Most people lose weight about body weight * 12.

The average range for people to lose is 10-15. The exceptional range is 16-20.

When I said eat more, I meant way more, like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^