Should i change my workout routine?

Options
I go to the gym about 3-4 times a week, for about an hour. I usually do the same stuff, i.e treadmill, strength training, elliptical. Should i mix it up and not work the same muscles every day?

Replies

• MDF08
    MDF08 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes. Allowing the muscles to rest prevents injury and fatigue.

Most workout circuits alternate days between pushing muscles and pulling muscles. You can also alternate the days you do arms, chest, back, and legs.

I tend to like my DVD workouts more than the gym. My hubby goes religously and works chest and triceps one day, back and biceps another day, legs the third day. Always cardio, because he's military and it's one of the three things that burn fat (the three being muscles, cardio, and diet).

:flowerforyou:
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    If you're bored with it, definitely. If it works for you, then not necessarily. You should definitely aim to work out all different muscle groups, but you should get that with strength training. Good job going to the gym 3-4 times a week!
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    MDF is right though. Alternate your upper and lower body.
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi. When I looked at a running training website, it suggested not running two days in a row. One is supposed to run, cross-train, run, cross-train, etc. Cross-training can be elliptical/swimming/whatever doesn't pound your joints. As far as weight training goes, don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row.

Here's my basic routine. Granted, I am on summer vacation right now and can spend a lot of time on my fitness. When school starts again (I'm a teacher), I won't be able to do as much.

M: upper body weights, bike 30 min, swim 1500-2000yards
    T: lower body weights, bike 20 min, run 2-3 miles
    W: upper body weights, bike 30 min, swim 1500-2000yards
    Th: my rest day
    F: lower body weights, bike 20 min, run 2-3 miles
    S: family hike day or elliptical 45 min
    S: my rest day

My weight training only takes me about 15-20 minutes. If I don't feel like going to the gym, I pop in one of my aerobics dvds. That happens about once a week. When school starts again, I'll probably have to drop the bike rides. I'm kind of working towards doing a triathlon.

216974.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I would say mixing it up might make it more interesting. Plus it will use some different muscles or use them in a new way. Try some new classes meet some new people. One of my goals for getting in better shape was to be able to do anything. I called me friend Sunday about going for a short run and she suggested a 7 mile run. My response was yes I can do that. I had done a sprint Triathlon on Saturday so I really just wanted a short recovery run. But now I can do 7 miles without a problem. Mixing it up keeps you able to throw in exercises with no problems. Who knows you might find you new favorite workout.
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    Everything I've read suggests switching up the routine to cause "muscle confusion" which keeps your body burning at it's max because it doesn't know what to expect.

I am guilty of a routine so I try to switch between the 3 ellipticals at my gym & do strength tarining between the machines. I also try classes when they fit my schedule. I did a free Pilates Group Reformer class last night that really kicked my butt! I actually thought that I's have a hard time walking today because I pushed soo much that at points my muscles got shaky.......But I was stoked this morning to discover that I actually feel great & have no afterburn in any of my muscles.

But whatever you choose to do, just remember that exercising in & of itself is an accomplishment that you should be proud of :) So do what your comfortable with & don't be afraid to try new things. If you try something new & don't like at least you can say you tried & know what not do to again :p)