What do you tell people...

Options

Replies

• Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    a friend did this to me one time. without looking away from my menu, i (somewhat smugly) replied, "just cause you dont wanna look like a fatass eating an overloaded burger while i am eating a salad, doesnt mean you have to be negative about it. let me order what i want and shut the **** up"

he hasnt said a word about what i eat since. be harsh, be brash. if your friend cant support you, then screw em. stay positive yourself! psychologically your friend wants to be on the same "level" as you. if they feel you are more esteemed than them, they will either gain confidence themselves and come up to your level, or bring you down to theirs. dont let them bring you down.

LOVE THIS RESPONSE!
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    Wow - there are some rude people in your life. I can't imagine anyone commenting on what or how much I choose to eat . . . EXCEPT my grandmother who thinks she knows what's best for EVERYONE. :)

It's nobody's business what another adult person chooses to eat. I would never say anything about my friend who orders a burger without the bun or cheese or pickles nor would I ever say anything to my friend who orders cheese fries with bacon and sour cream. I would ask them why your food choices are so important to them.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My bf kept telling me to keep my "dieting" quiet around certain people....so they wouldnt make comments or feel uncomfortable around me. After a while, they started to want to hear about it and appreciate the information I would log and estimations on what they should eat instead of certain options. It doesnt bother him anymore cause he realizes people deep down actually would pay attention to what they were eating if they had help getting them started or the knowledge allows that to stop being ignorant about their health. I love showing people what to eat, I feel like I am giving back like MFP did for me!
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My friends all joke about my snobby eating. It really doesn't bother me, I feel better. Then I tell them that all that processed food makes me sick.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What kind of people do you hang out with?? If anyone asked me why I was eating a certain thing I would stare at them like they had 3 heads.
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Honestly no one really comments on my food choices or ordering a house salad at a restaraunt...proof is in the pudding.....what can they say???? Youre too fit thin and healthy....stop ordering that?!?!

Although I have had two seperate (heavier)women tell me that salads are just as bad as a cheeseburger...which I politely replied both times "does it look like I have a problem overeating salad?"

Shut them up real quick.

ahahahahahahahaaaa, OMG, I love this!!!!!
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I think lots of unhealthy people (and overweight people) think skinny people are just naturally skinny and don't have to work to keep it that way. They also see food as a reward so they don't understand why you wouldn't be rewarding yourself for being thin! ha, ha. I think junk food tastes great and am only in the process of learning to like healthy food. Drinking water to me used to be like drinking acid. I hated it. Now I crave it. I used to think, "Nobody likes salad and vegetables" but now I do.

Let the haters hate:)
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't explain it to anyone. I eat differently regardless if I was trying to lose weight or not. I have ulcerative colitis and can't eat a lot of "bad" foods anyway.
  • jelias1
    jelias1 Posts: 97
    Options
    I usually respond "because I like life more than i like greasy food"

"And in 2 years when i look better than you you will remember the days when you asked me this"
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Just curious, but have you ever asked these people WHY they are making these comments? In the alternative, have you ever considered asking them why they chose to order what they did? If you are social with them, I presume it is because you like them. So if that is the case, what is wrong with asking why they feel the need to make these comments? It might enlighten you to hear their answer and, more importantly, it might enlighten them. In addition, it would give you the opportunity to politely tell them that you do not appreciate their comments and that in the future, they can keep their thoughts on your eating habits to themselves. That way, you can both enjoy your meals, regardless of what you choose to order.

It is amazing what can come of a simple conversation when people say or do something that irritates you. It can take a friendship to a whole new level and give people a boost in their sensitivity towards others. I find that often, when these kinds of situations happen socially, the offender is completely oblivious to the fact that they have offended at all.

Of course, you are also free to "drop them" as another poster suggested. But again, I am presuming since you are dining socially with them, it is because you choose to. Nothing wrong with being honest about why you order what you order, but you should not have to defend your choices either. You have good reasons and you are staying strong to your belief. Share that. You never know, it might even motivate someone else to make a healthier choice of their own!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just ignore them and continue with what I am doing. I get offered cakes and cookies even though they know I will say no. But it's nice of them to ask. :wink:
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would take it as an invitation to review what they are eating......."well, lets see, If I ate ________ like you are, it would take me about ______ minutes of exercise to burn off. I don't think it is worth that."
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The worst was my co-worker. I am fairly new to this lifestyle change and this actually happened before the change. When I was prego with my daughter I worked with three other pregnant ladies and two ladies that had reciently given birth (with in the last 6 months). We worked in a restaurant and every night after closing they would share a brownie 4x6 inches and it was about 2 inches thick. They would top with chocolate and caramel as well as 3 scoops of ice cream and then put strawberries, bananas and blueberries on it. They called it the "prego craving pm treat". They would all huddle around and eat up, after weeks of getting teased for not eating any (I have never been a sweets fan) I finally came over and had some of the fruit with the least amount of chocolate on it. That just made it so much worse. No matter how many times I tried to explain to them that a) I really DON'T like much chocolate (seriously two Reese Pieces is enough to kill my chocolate desire for a year) and b) I am trying to eat healthy for my child, they could not understand. I finally stopped trying to explain and they finally stopped teasing and trying to get me to eat some.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I used to get comments like this a lot from my friends/family. But they stopped because I would start explaining about MFP and whip out my phone and show them the app, it got to the point they didn't want to hear about it anymore, so they learned to not make comments.
    Although now I get the snarky little questions when I have an alcoholic beverage " Are you going to log that?" and I tell them yes and show them how easy it is. It really messes with their whole "It's too hard/complicated to eat healthy and keep track of everything."
    Lol
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I say, "I'm an adult, and I can decide what I do and do not want to eat (or drink)."

I just leave it at that. I don't have to offer an explanation or defend my decisions. If pressed about it, I just say, "I appreciate your concern, but I didn't ask for your opinion on my food choices. How would you like it if I criticized your food choices?"

Usually, when you turn the tables, it ends the game pretty quickly.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I am on the other side of this...people at work pass around sweets all the time and now that i'm on track to eating healthy they all look at me like "WTF why isn't the fat girl taking the treats" it's almost like people just assume that because I am overweight I will eat sweets, or go for seconds, or take the last piece of cake?? At this point I really don't care what they think, I am doing this for me and my health. You shouldn't have to explain why you order what you do, or why you turn down sweets or what not. What you put in your body is your choice, and I do not feel the need to explain it at all! :)

I had the same issue at work. Someone brought in candy and I turned it down. They dubbed me the "candy snob". I don't care. If people don't like that I am finally eating healthy, they can stuff it....right you know where.
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    I tell them to go $%&# off!!!
    :laugh:
    It is my choice!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue at work. Someone brought in candy and I turned it down. They dubbed me the "candy snob".

That's a badge I'd wear proudly. You should have a banner made up. :happy:
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Depending who it is, I sometimes just say certain foods really upset my stomach and I have to be really careful :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I tell people how much weight I've lost and Every. Single. Person. Has been supportive.

My boss even brought in a fruit platter to share on his birthday instead of cake.

Other co-workers will offer me a treat, and never push me if I say no. Now they ask "Can you fit xyz food in today?"