other people correcting your technique? your opinion?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I wish people would help me like that
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The answers in this thread go to show that it totally depends on the person you are approaching and how you approach them. Just my opinion, but I think you should consider the person before you approach them – does their body language say they are open to it? Are they making eye contact with people they don’t know?

Personally, I am very shy and intimidated at the gym and something like that if done in the wrong way could make me less likely to go to the gym for a while. But that’s just me.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to offer a helpful suggestion like, "If you slow down that move you might get better results" or something gentle and positive that applies. It's another to say, "You shouldn't do it like that" or "That's bad form" or "You know you could injure yourself like that". While those things are probably true, they could crush someone who is new to fitness or had just worked up the courage to go to a gym, since many people avoid gyms for fear of being judged.

I think the fact that you want to be helpful is great, but to get people to take advice, you need to make it positive and supportive and casual at first. Starting with a negative is the quickest way to put someone on the defensive.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what she wants to correct about back being off the bench during a bench press. It's supposed to be off the bench. Feet on the floor, hips on the bench, back arched, shoulder blades under and against the bench, chest up.

I think the reference might be for people who arch so far they actually lift their butt off the bench and use all leverage and momentum to move the bar. Personally, I prefer "packing" my shoulders to both stabilize them and emphasize more pec work, which kind of limits the back arch.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    Where I go, I see the same people ALL the time. If they see me doing something wrong, they say something. If it's about form, I ask them to watch me do a few reps after their correction, so I know if I'm doing it right. I've had someone say "If you try this, it works different muscles. Course, they know I'm friendly and open to suggestions. Luckily, I got help with squat form this way and no longer deal with pain in my neck!
  • drdortch
    drdortch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would have any issues with it as long as it was worded the right way and you weren't totally snotty about it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what she wants to correct about back being off the bench during a bench press. It's supposed to be off the bench. Feet on the floor, hips on the bench, back arched, shoulder blades under and against the bench, chest up.
    This ACTUALLY is not true, it puts way too much pressure on the spine which need not be there.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    The course I am doing takes 1.5 years to get my diploma... you'd hope I would get given correct form and information in that time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This ACTUALLY is not true, it puts way too much pressure on the spine which need not be there.
    No offense, but I'll take the technique and form I was taught by an Olympic certified weight lifting coach over a student, any day. Lower back arched off the bench is actually normal anatomical position for the spine. Putting it completely flat on the bench would force you to relax it and round it, which will cause injury. Arching puts in the correct position with the proper muscles supporting it. Do you tell people to do rows or deadlifts with a rounded back? So why would you tell them to bench press with a rounded back?
  • imamess87
    imamess87 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am a certified personal trainer with a B.S. in Exercise Science as well. If I see someone doing an exercise incorrectly that could hurt them, I'll usually go up to the and let them know. Women are more receptive than men to this as most guys don't like a 24 year old girl telling them how to do an exercise! On the flip side, I often have guys come up to me when I am working out and try to 'correct' what I am doing. I usually let them go on for a minute before thanking them but letting them know my degree and certification. If you are a fitness professional trying to help someone prevent injury, then you should definitely intervene!
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I would prefer you tell me rather than suffer a major injury and be out of the game. I personally think it's kind to take the time out of your own workout to help someone else improve their technique, if you have good intentions.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I'll take the technique and form I was taught by an Olympic certified weight lifting coach over a student, any day. Lower back arched off the bench is actually normal anatomical position for the spine. Putting it completely flat on the bench would force you to relax it and round it, which will cause injury. Arching puts in the correct position with the proper muscles supporting it. Do you tell people to do rows or deadlifts with a rounded back? So why would you tell them to bench press with a rounded back?

Correct, arched back bench press (shoulders and butt touching the bench) is what is taught by well, everyone. Even just read about it in Rippetoe's Starting Strength, it outlines exactly why you want to arch your back. Obviously not so much of an arch that your butt comes off the bench or you're laying on your neck or something. But enough of an arch to fit a hand under is considered the best form for powerlifting. You can push more while minimizing risk of injury.

In other words, I wouldn't go around offering up unsolicited advice at all. Especially when your information is wrong.
  • GurvD
    GurvD Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer a lot of your job is about how you interact with people. I think you should use these bad technique opportunities to improve yourself. I think most people will dislike being told off but you can try to win them over. I think if you went up to someone and asked if they didn't mind you practicing explaining technique to them they may be more receptive and they might walk away thinking they helped you while you achieve your desired result.

You need to really know your stuff though and be able to explain it to someone in terms that they can understand. I like the way Mark Ripptoe explains things.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your course.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Agree ignorant no, helpful yes and it definitely depends on how you approach the person and then reading their response to you before continuing.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Correct, arched back bench press (shoulders and butt touching the bench) is what is taught by well, everyone. Even just read about it in Rippetoe's Starting Strength, it outlines exactly why you want to arch your back. Obviously not so much of an arch that your butt comes off the bench or you're laying on your neck or something. But enough of an arch to fit a hand under is considered the best form for powerlifting. You can push more while minimizing risk of injury.

In other words, I wouldn't go around offering up unsolicited advice at all. Especially when your information is wrong.

I'm not saying it has to be COMPLETELY flat, I mean people which take their butt completely off the bench, like this...

zxno8j.jpg

And maybe you shouldn't go around accusing people of **** when you have no idea what they're even talking about.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I'm not saying it has to be COMPLETELY flat, I mean people which take their butt completely off the bench, like this...

zxno8j.jpg

And maybe you shouldn't go around accusing people of **** when you have no idea what they're even talking about.

The poster your arguing with said nothing about taking your butt of the bench. Why are you accusing him of not knowing what he's saying? Id' say you should go demand a refund on your education.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I would probably be annoyed.

See, I've hired trainers in the past, three times.

I told them all I wanted to get strong. I expected some weight loss as a side effect, but my primary purpose was strength, not weight loss.

All three of them put me on machines with 3 sets of 10-12 reps and light weight, all isolation stuff.

The last one, I asked to help me learn to squat.

He put me on a Smith machine and only had me go down half-way. Funny thing was, he put 50 lbs on the thing. Why not just let me use a bar?

So, if a trainer came up and tried to criticize my form, I'd probably tell them to f-off unless I was paying them.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If someone knowledgeable comes up to me I will listen. But when one of those "two week wonders whose read a few fitness Mag's" comes up. I usually respond with "If I wanted to look like you I would work out like you"
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

zxno8j.jpg

The poster your arguing with said nothing about taking your butt of the bench. Why are you accusing him of not knowing what he's saying? Id' say you should go demand a refund on your education.

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about him accusing me of my information being wrong when he doesn't even know what I was talking about in the first place.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I would probably be annoyed.

See, I've hired trainers in the past, three times.

I told them all I wanted to get strong. I expected some weight loss as a side effect, but my primary purpose was strength, not weight loss.

All three of them put me on machines with 3 sets of 10-12 reps and light weight, all isolation stuff.

The last one, I asked to help me learn to squat.

He put me on a Smith machine and only had me go down half-way. Funny thing was, he put 50 lbs on the thing. Why not just let me use a bar?

So, if a trainer came up and tried to criticize my form, I'd probably tell them to f-off unless I was paying them.

Yeah unfortunately most trainers really aren't worth a ****. I'd say the trainers that go through NASM are probably the better of the bunch but you can't put a price on pure experience. I'll take experience and results over somebody with just an education any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.