P90x...in need of some subject matter experts

Options
Casi23
Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
This message goes out to anyone who has any experience with this program.

I'm thinking about starting P90x, but the program seems pretty intimidating. There seems like there is so much to it. My biggest problem when I start a workout program is consistency. But I need a routine that I can do for about an hour or so in the morning or after work.

Is this program easy to stick to? What are the best parts about it? What are its downfalls? Have people seen a lot of success from it? It is a lot of money to spend if it isn't an easy program to stick to...

Any thoughts would help.

Thanks!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X for a little over a year and absolute love it. This is a program that will work if you do. That means that you need to follow the nutrition guide, give it your all every day to the workouts, and in 90 days you will be very happy.

P90X includes everything a good fitness program should have: weight training, cardio, and flexibility. It does require a committment. The workouts are about an hour long, and on the three days where you also do abs, it brings it to about an hour & 20 minutes; the yoga routine is 90 minutes.

Is the program easy to stick to? I think so. Once you start seeing results, you'll be excited.

What are the best parts? Like I said, it includes everything. Plus, the Nutrition Plan is more than just a list of foods. It explains why you need to eat this way.

The downfalls? For me, none. For others, it is a tough program and is not for someone who doesn't want to work hard. There are always ways to modify the moves, but they are still intense.

One thing you will hear on the videos a lot is 'Do Your Best and Forget the Rest'. This program is what you make of it.
  • Casi23
    Options
    Hey Sandy - Thanks a lot.

What is the program like? I run 3-7 miles five days a week and then just do push-ups, pull-ups and abe work 3 days and am looking to get in shape for my wedding in October (about 80 days away).

Is it seven says a week? Can I still run? Is the diet difficult to stick to or costly?

I appreciate all your help! I will take the advice from anyone who has abs like you do!
    :happy:
  • krisloock
    krisloock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I second that post! I was faithful to the program and nutrition plan for 90 days, worked my butt off (literally!) and got in the best shape of my life after having 2 kids. Its nice to have the plan all spelled out for you so if this will help you to stick to it, then go for it! Good luck!
  • mrsparker
    mrsparker Posts: 12
    Options
    How many days a week do you exercise with this program? The exercise moves looks very hard. I've seen pics of some before and after and they were already small, just look like they needed toning up. Is this what this program is for or is it for very obese people to.
  • sandy429
    Options
    How many days a week do you exercise with this program? The exercise moves looks very hard. I've seen pics of some before and after and they were already small, just look like they needed toning up. Is this what this program is for or is it for very obese people to.

It's at least 6 days, or 7 if you choose to use the stretching video on the 7th day (I always do).

The routines are indeed challenging. P90X was not designed as a weight loss program. It is a fitness program for people who are already in decent shape and want to get ripped. Weight loss does come along with the results as people lose fat and build muscle.

If you have a lot of weight to lose and are new to exercise, I would recommend Power90, a much scaled down version.
  • sandy429
    Options
    I second that post! I was faithful to the program and nutrition plan for 90 days, worked my butt off (literally!) and got in the best shape of my life after having 2 kids. Its nice to have the plan all spelled out for you so if this will help you to stick to it, then go for it! Good luck!

Good work!:flowerforyou:
  • sandy429
    Options
    Hey Sandy - Thanks a lot.

What is the program like? I run 3-7 miles five days a week and then just do push-ups, pull-ups and abe work 3 days and am looking to get in shape for my wedding in October (about 80 days away).

Is it seven says a week? Can I still run? Is the diet difficult to stick to or costly?

I appreciate all your help! I will take the advice from anyone who has abs like you do!
    :happy:

Hey, thanks! :flowerforyou:

It is seven days a week if you use the stretching video on the 7th day; I always do. So, the week would look something like this:

Day 1 - strength training
    Day 2 - cardio
    Day 3 - strength training
    Day 4 - yoga
    Day 5 - strength training
    Day 6 - cardio
    Day 7 - stretch

There is a lot of upper body work -- lots of push-ups & pull-ups. The day 5 strength session focuses on your legs & back. If you want to continue to run, you could replace days 2 & 6 with running & also run on day 4, along with yoga. You can't skip yoga; it's essential to the program.

The diet is not difficult at all. The plan gives you specific recipes, or you could do the 'portion' method, where it gives you lists of foods for each food group and you pick & choose to meet your calorie intake for the day. It's really quite easy, especially if you use MFP to track everything.
    :bigsmile:
  • Casi23
    Options
    Very cool. Alright - I sucked it up and did it. I already have most of the equipment, so I wasn't suckered into buying his pull up bar or magic weights...I hope it's worth it. I def have the time to do the workouts before I go to work every morning.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of excited to start it...