Controversial Athletic Officials - UK Top athletes "Fat"

Options
RAFValentina
RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/9289903/London-2012-Olympics-Jessica-Enniss-heptathlon-team-mate-Louise-Hazel-also-told-she-was-overweight.html

Clearly she's not and this seems to be a very unprofessional view which will only breed an unhealthy generation of athletes if they believe it and further generations... In addition, potentially create the wrong message to young women and men out there who may use these women (and other athletes) as role models who are also vulnerable and believe that these athletes are overweight!

Being heavy and being lean may come hand in hand as well as being fat and heavy... but look at the size and density of some sprinters and how lean they are... never stopped them being amazing... It breeds an unhealthy view on eating and body image that is unnecessary and outdated.

It's preposterous in my opinion...what are your thoughts?

Replies

• spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I was applying to the Army's officer training program. I weighed in just at the requirement for someone my height and age, and even though my body fat and fitness levels were well within acceptable ranges I was told I needed to lose weight before I could get in. They didn't even bother to tape test me.

The whole using BMI as an indicator of health on an individual level really drives me insane. Not taking bone density and muscle mass into consideration when weighing someone like an athlete is a recipe for disaster.