SL squat form check

Options
ZoeLifts
ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
Hi all! I video'd myself this morning so I could get a form check. I just started over a week ago, so I am still getting used to the idea of going all the way down below parallel for the squat, so I do see several times where I may not be going all the way down. Anyway, help me out and take a look and give critic (about my form, LOL!). I believe this video was my third set.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc3oqotj5944kgy/DSCN3478.AVI

Edit to add better view

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    dang! this was tough i thought you were a guy and i tried hard not to stare at your butt lol but it looks like your form is great, I'm hoping you're pushing with your heels and not your toes. Also you're going down way too fast. If anything, you want to go down slow and go up fast.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell because I can't see your feet, but it SEEMS like the bar is too far forward. Are you really feeling the push through your heels and NOT your toes?

Your feet also might be too close together. Are they are shoulder width apart? Forgive me if I'm off, but I'd need to see you from another angle to say for sure.

A note on grip:
    The bar seems high. Is it resting on your shoulders(wrong) or on the spine of your scapula?(right)
    Also, you have your wrists bent under the bar. A lot of people do this because they feel more secure, but it can be really problematic. Keep your wrists straight and put your hands on top the bar. When the bar is in the right position, it will trap it (pun intended) in the right spot.
    Bent wrists put a lot of extra pressure on the delicate nerves and tendons of your wrist and elbow.

As said above - slow down, fast up!
  • wellbert
    Options
    I see your new video. A couple things:

You are definitely too far forward with the bar. IT needs to stay in a vertical path over midfoot.
    Additionally, take those sneakers off. Squishy thick heels are the enemy of squats.

Lastly, you are completely rocking onto your toes at the end. It's crucial that you do all of this THROUGH your heels. Concentrate on putting little to no weight on your toes at all.

Push up as if the weight is on your hips, not as if the weight is on your upper back.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Yes, I do feel myself too far forward for sure. I was wondering about that. And I will focus on adjusting my grip as well. I think I keep thinking so much about going below parallel that I am lazing on the rest of it.

-Grip (wrists straight)
    -Lower bar
    -Push through heels, not toes
    -Slow down, fast up

@Wellbert - I posted a different video from another angle. You can better see where I am too far forward on my toes. My feet are shoulder width apart and turned out (I've never known if they should be straight ahead or not, turned out is easier to get low?)
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    Yea the heel thing is a big problem. You might wanna take your shoes off and do them in socks (that's what I always do) Also try not to lock out your knees when you come up to keep pressure on your quads and not relieve it when finishing the motion.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Your toes should be turned out. I like about 30-45 degrees. This helps keep the tendons in your leg in a correct position.

You might find doing box squats helps with form. Find a box the right height, just below parallel, then you can worry about your heels. Just touch the box and go until you get the feeling of sitting back. (If you stop, then go up, it helps build explosive power...)

Look up squatting by mark rippetoe on youtube, he has a video on bar position that helped me immensely.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Good advice, thank you so much!! I'm going to work on all of these suggestions and hopefully post a better video soon! And get new shoes!! :smile:
  • wellbert
    Options
    I love squatting in my new balance minimus :)
    A lot of people like chuck taylors for it.
  • warmachinejt
    Options
    I almost always use chuck taylors but i take them off during squats. Some people recommend it.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am on my way to getting CSCS certified and the first thing I noticed about your form is that your heels are lifting up off the ground when you get down. Your knees are a bit too far forward over your toes. If you sat back a bit more, you wouldn't have an issue with your heels, but you may not be able to get down to parallel or further below. The box squat suggestion was a good one. I would work on some hip flexibility as well to help you get either to parallel or below. Make sure your feet are slightly further than shoulder width and have a small curve in your lower back. Lift you chest up more when you are squating. Honestly, I think one of the first things that would help you out would be to lessen the weight a bit.

Hope it helps
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    OP: Thank you so much for posting this. I'm in the learning phase, and this helped tremendously.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Thank you all, these suggestions are awesome!! It really helps me a ton! I have watched the Rippetoe videos, but once I get into the gym to start doing the work, I have forgotten half of what I see. I need to keep some notes handy. I store everything in my phone, but maybe a little notebook for tips will help me to look at while at the gym instead of searching my phone for videos.

Spanaval: Glad to help! Video yourself, because we have no idea how we really look until we do!
  • Golfin4fun
    Golfin4fun Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    A lot of good info here. I'd like to see a rear-view video as well if you have one, not just because I want to checkout your butt either. :D j/k

Anyway I think I see a lot of the same as the above but I'll give my two-cents:

1. Setup: The setup to the bar needs some improvement. When you setup to the bar walk up into and set your legs like you're ready to squat. When you get under it your back should be arched and you'll almost look like you're in a quarter squat position. Take a breath, un-rack the weight, and take a waddle step or two back and you should still be in position to squat.
    2. Foot placement: I'd try and go a little wider if you can. I can't tell your foot angle from the video but it should be turned out a little.
    3. Eccentric portion: I agree that you appear to be coming forward. I really like the box squat suggestion and that's a great place for you to start. Box Squats are definitely not cheating by any means, they're legit. Box Squats are part of my lower body rotation for maximal effort days.
    4. Concentric portion: Once you fix the eccentric portion this portion should automatically improve. Similar to the bench press, I'd like to see a little more pop with the lift.
    5. Other: I can't see your hand position but keep your elbows under the bar as well, it helps to keep things nice and tight. If you're doing this already then you're good, just can't really tell from the video.

Video: So You Think You Can Squat is pretty awesome and can be found on YouTube.

Supporting exercises to help with improving your squat:
    a. Romanian Deadlifts or Good Mornings: They basically do the same thing but they stimulate the posterior chain differently so rotate between the two. These will greatly help with any strength imbalances that force you to lean forward as well.
    b. Lunges / Bulgarian Split Squats: A good way to help work on quad development.
    c. Ab work: Hanging Leg Raises, Palloff Presses, etc...
    d. Stretch those hip flexors. :)
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have been on the internet all morning researching squats and form, this was the best info I have read all day...

Thanks for the post.

edit for spelling
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi all! I video'd myself this morning so I could get a form check. I just started over a week ago, so I am still getting used to the idea of going all the way down below parallel for the squat, so I do see several times where I may not be going all the way down. Anyway, help me out and take a look and give critic (about my form, LOL!). I believe this video was my third set.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc3oqotj5944kgy/DSCN3478.AVI

Edit to add better view

All that is needed to be said on form has been said. Lots of knowledge on MFP!

Maybe to help with your form this cue could be helpful. Rippetoe (well-regarded strength coach) suggests that you visualize a chain attached to your butt that is pulling up vertically. That might help you with your weight distribution issue. It helps me (I'm four months into a novice, 5X5 progression)
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    Bump for re-reading later. Some great advice here, best thread I've seen on MFP for a long time. Thanks!