SL row form check

Options
ZoeLifts
ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
I know this one has all sorts of wrong with it. Right off, I need to bring the bar closer to my ankles to start out. The videos I have seen, the person is "crouched" much lower. I can't seem to get down to the right angle and maybe the shoe problem will help here as well?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kkebfhxl76chq5/DSCN3484.AVI

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    Options
    Bump!
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Still looking for some tips on this one, or have I covered all of the mistakes I've made, LOL!
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Bump!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Not bad really, doing them from a dead-stop is a good way to add some stimulus. The only thing you might try is keeping your shoulders a little higher than your hips. If you can picture yourself leaning on a flat bench with on hand you'd be completely parallel to the ground right? Now take that bench and incline up one notch and you might try that angle. Aside from that, and I can't tell from the video, just make sure you're really pinching your shoulder blades back to engage the rhomboids. I'd say all-in-all your form looks good.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    This is one of my weaker lifts. How I wrecked my back, actually. I don't really have sage advice for this one, but did notice one thing:
    You are bouncing a lot. This puts a lot of nasty stress on your erector spinae. Try to keep your body as still as possible while bringing the weight up to your chest. You bounce it up a little, which makes me think it's a little too heavy for you.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    Thank you all!! Yes, I might need to lighten this one a little, it is a struggle right now for me. Maybe it will help when I bring my shoulders above my hips, as JNick77 is suggesting?
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thank you all!! Yes, I might need to lighten this one a little, it is a struggle right now for me. Maybe it will help when I bring my shoulders above my hips, as JNick77 is suggesting?

Do you bounce the weight? It looks like it hits the pegs and it stops for a second or two. I guess you could just take away the pegs and try it and see how it goes. I think a little bit of body-english is normal with maximal strength training as long as your're engaging the correct muscles.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    I bounce on the pegs to emphasize that I am going all the way down, rather than holding at the bottom. Maybe I should slow it down here too, and let it release. I do sometimes bounce at the top, using a little more body energy to pull to my chest.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but everything I have read says you should row from the floor, I am not sure what the cage is doing for you, if you need to drop the weights the floor is there.. I normally start with the bar on the floor, put my toes under the bar. I then lift my butt up enough to put tension on the bar, look up to straighten out my back, . I then row it, touch the floor with the weighs and come up again. You also seem to give yourself a push with your legs instead pulling with your back and arms
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    I am not an expert, but everything I have read says you should row from the floor, I am not sure what the cage is doing for you, if you need to drop the weights the floor is there.. I normally start with the bar on the floor, put my toes under the bar. I then lift my butt up enough to put tension on the bar, look up to straighten out my back, . I then row it, touch the floor with the weighs and come up again

Yes, that is my goal, to row from the floor. Having the pins on the bottom lifts it up to the height it would be if there were 45's on there and it were sitting on the floor. I guess I could get them down completely, even with my meager weights, it is just a further distance to travel.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I am not an expert, but everything I have read says you should row from the floor, I am not sure what the cage is doing for you, if you need to drop the weights the floor is there.. I normally start with the bar on the floor, put my toes under the bar. I then lift my butt up enough to put tension on the bar, look up to straighten out my back, . I then row it, touch the floor with the weighs and come up again

Yes, that is my goal, to row from the floor. Having the pins on the bottom lifts it up to the height it would be if there were 45's on there and it were sitting on the floor. I guess I could get them down completely, even with my meager weights, it is just a further distance to travel.

Once you get to using 35's or 45's the floor is your friend but I can see why you use the pegs. Although it looks like your gym uses Hex plates which SSSUUUUUUUCK for any exercise coming off the floor, so good luck with that.