Trying to lose weight while working in a restaurant

Options
Hello, I am a server in a popular chain restaurant and I was wondering what other people are doing to try to protect themselves at work while trying to lose weight.

When I am home, I am a big believer in grazing through out the day on healthy snacks but once I am a work, I can't/don't want to eat the food there.

My biggest problem would be that I can't eat anything for 6-8 hours or longer at a time so when something is available to eat, like boneless wings or mozzarella sticks, it's really hard to pass it up because I'm starving.

I drink about 6 glasses of water before I get to work and try to eat a midday snack before I get there but that only lasts me so long, plus, honestly, everything smells so good that I pretty much get hungry right away. I also bring some snacks with me.

Any ideas on how to control myself at work?

Replies

• antiwings
    antiwings Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem while I'm at work in a fast food place. It's just so easy to pick at the food since theres not a lot there that I can pick at without feeling guilty afterwards.
  • nre820
    nre820 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I work at a steak and seafood restaurant...everything is so ...decadent-the full fat experience! If I HAVE to eat something, I try to stick with salads (non-creamy dressings), soups (broth-based) or grilled chicken or fish with veggies... I also try to pack something to snack on, whether it be a KIND bar (these are amazing and only have natural ingredients-fruit and nuts), a piece of fruit or some dry cereal. I let myself splurge every now, but everything in moderation.

Another thing I notice is that I am guilty of over eating/indulging when I am BORED... so I always try to occupy myself so I am not standing around staring at all the food coming out. If I find myself wanting to snack, I leave the kitchen and try to find something else to do so I am not thinking about it.

Hope this helps!
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also a server at a chain restaurant. I typically work ten hour shifts often with no break, and also struggle being around all of the food and the free access to sugary sodas.

To lean to control myself I studied the nutrition menu and learned the approx. calorie content to the foods I was most likely to consume. So instead of seeing a yummy single mozzarella stick, I see 80-100 calories with practically no nutritional value.

Another way to inspire self control is to observe your customers. Seeing people consume hunderds to thousands of calories in one meal is enough to turn my craving around, and remind you of your goals to live a healthier lifestyle. It might sound mean, but it works.

I also started taking protein powder in a ziploc bag, so even if I don't get a chance to eat anything I can mix it in some water and drink it for energy. I also drink water throughout my shift from by Brita filter bottle to avoid drinking any soda.

I've been at the job now for 3 months and have went from 127 to 123 (not alot but better than gaining!)
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Can you pack a lunch that is basically just a lot of healthy snacks instead of a normal meal? You could than grab a bite or two when you have the free few seconds. Should keep you from eating the restaurant foods.

Why can't you eat at work during your shift? Do you not get a break? Or just decide not to take one?
  • tannegary
    tannegary Posts: 6
    Options
    We're not really supposed to eat meals unless we have a closing shift. I do bring snacks with me, but they just never seem enough. No matter how much I bring.

It's funny while I serve because guests regularly ask me my opinion on any meal and I don't know how to answer because I don't eat the meals because of how terrible it is for you. Luckily, I just get to say, "Oh, I'm trying to watch what I eat, I just had a baby."

I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this.

Thank you for your replies.
  • andrewsmommy13
    andrewsmommy13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I waited tables for over 2 years and tried to lose weight several times during that time. The only thing that I relied on was drinking a lot of water (which wasn't convenient because then I'd have to go to the bathroom) and sheer will power and determination. It is difficult but you can do anything you set your mind to!
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    We're not really supposed to eat meals unless we have a closing shift. I do bring snacks with me, but they just never seem enough. No matter how much I bring.

It's funny while I serve because guests regularly ask me my opinion on any meal and I don't know how to answer because I don't eat the meals because of how terrible it is for you. Luckily, I just get to say, "Oh, I'm trying to watch what I eat, I just had a baby."

I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this.

Thank you for your replies.

I'm not sure why you aren't supposed to eat meals unless you are working a later shift... I've never worked in the restaurant industry so I"m not sure how it all works (where I am employers are required by law to give employees meal breaks though).

What are the snacks you bring with you? You might be eating the wrong snacks.
  • tannegary
    Options
    I hate to give you this generic reply but that's just how it is. The only people who typically get breaks are smokers. I bring anything from yogurt, to veggie sticks, oranges, and eat apple slices there.
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    I hate to give you this generic reply but that's just how it is. The only people who typically get breaks are smokers. I bring anything from yogurt, to veggie sticks, oranges, and eat apple slices there.

If the smokers can take a quick break to go outside for a smoke than you can take a quick break to eat something healthy.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I work at a Dunkin donuts, so I feel your pain. I work morning shifts(things like 5-noon) without a real break. I used to grab a munchkin or two when I was hungry, but then I looked at the calories- 60 in a single chocolate munchkin! And I used to eat 6-8 a day! Now I usually bring something for myself- ive found that I need something right before I start, and another about halfway through. I also drink TONS of water to keep me full(ish) until I get off for the day and can go home for some lunch.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There was a program on the Food network called "Fat Chef" that dealt with this issue a lot. How to lose weight when you're surrounded by food all day and sometime are required to taste it as part of your job. It's doable, but not easy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/fat-chef/index.html
  • tannegary
    Options
    There was a program on the Food network called "Fat Chef" that dealt with this issue a lot. How to lose weight when you're surrounded by food all day and sometime are required to taste it as part of your job. It's doable, but not easy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/fat-chef/index.html

Thank you so much! I can't wait to check this out.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    I have heard this before and been told this many times

You can eat what ever you want. Because you will burn it by working or working out. But all you gotta do is make sure not to go way over your calorie intake or it will be hard to lose..
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I work in a fast food restaurant so feel your pain... but it's illegal to not have a break after working 5.5 hours?! Should you not be having half hour?
  • bawalker11
    bawalker11 Posts: 78
    Options
    This is really tough! I use to be in the same boat, luckily I got the head chef on my side and he use to prepare me little healthy snacks before we opened so I had something like salad with some prawns or some grilled veggies waiting for me. I also kept granola bars high in fibre with me, they are quick, but you have to eat one before you get to the point of starving or it won't fill you up. Good Luck!
  • harleykat64
    harleykat64 Posts: 70
    Options
    I have been a chef for 8 years and until I finally said enough is enough I had alot of trouble losing the weight. I now bring lots of small healthy snacks that can be grabbed and eaten in seconds. I am also not a smoker myself (very rare for the restaurant industry) but I still make it a goal to go out for a non-smoke break to eat a decent serving of food that I bring from home already preportioned (and usually cold, no time for heating a meal) You can do this, if you are a server, put a small baggy of something in your apron pocket for quick bites while logging in orders.
  • milleric
    milleric Posts: 25
    Options
    Hello, I am a Manager and a main cook at restaurant with nearly no healthy food, and I agree, its tough. Been using this app the past week and it helps a lot. Makes me atleast try to plan out anything I can eat there... The best thing I've done is make really good salads with lowfat dressings (I make a pretty nice salad with Chicken, Pineapple, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, a lil Feta, tomatoes and spinach) It comes out to about 300-400 calories, but its filling... I also bring wheat tortillas from home and make wraps. (Being a server maybe you can ask a cook to make you a good salad or ask if you can make one for yourself for a break?)

Another big thing I do is drink A LOT of water during the shift, and take fiber tabs so the water becomes more filling (On the plus side it helps keep the system clean) Also, def stay away from the soda. Its really easy to be able to pick at food, but I always try to stay in a meal mindset, and try to think of a workout I can do from the meal im going to eat (I still do pick at food once and a while, just seems impossible not to)

Hopefully some of that helps! But if you drink a lot of water, I totes recommend Fiber

I also heard cravings can come from lack of vitamins and nutrients.. Maybe take a vitamin packed with vitamins and minerals

Ooops, just read you cant eat during shifts... im sorry thats rough.. I would totally just bring a bag with like a banana and an apple, some quick access fruits, or peanuts, granola and yogurt mix
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

This is so true in any job. I worked in many different places before I became a nurse, and it was always the smokers that got to take breaks. Now I work in a hospital that has a no smoking on campus policy so it's not as bad. Sometimes I just don't get a break due to the busy patients lol.
  • milleric
    milleric Posts: 25
    Options
    Thats terrible, I always let my workers even go out to have a snack/drink break (As well as a smoke break)
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I know that is hard. I was super skinny when I waited tables. But then again, I only allowed myself to eat once a day. Not healthy lol Maybe try bringing your own lunch instead of eating the goodies at work?