Would these be considered 'junk food'

Options

Replies

• Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    It's not health food, but it's not gonna kill you. 10 grams of fat is a tad high and there's like no protein. If there was more protein I'd be more inclined to it's semi ok. But it is a treat, enjoy!
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define "junk". These are certainly not balanced nutrition in the sense they have plenty of calories and plenty of fat and not much protein. If you have these as a treat, they don't take you over your calorie allowance and you don't have to drop something better to and then go short on protein, for example, then you should be OK but obviously eating them in moderation and eating better balanced food for your proper meals.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Or I guess what I should ask is .. Is this considered a 'cheat' lololol

IMHO, if you are living a lifestyle change, there's no such think as a "Cheat". :wink:

Just enjoy one every now and then and you'll be good. :wink:
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Only if you eat more than 6 in a day!!
    Balance is good.....
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think a healthy diet should include a treat, and this is definitely not the worst you could do, treat-wise.

I agree. They look yummy, enjoy
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Try their fudge bars...they are only around 90 calories and are so yummy!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yes :) they are good.. I think coconut is naturally higher in Sat fat, isnt it? Not too sure.
    They DO fit my macros, actually :)

I def think its a better alternative to a haagen dazs?
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    At least the fats in this are from coconut and almond... I think that makes it marginally healthier than the butterfat in dairy ice cream.

It's a treat, and we all deserve a treat every now and then! As another lactose intolerant person, I love the So Delicious frozen treats. It's by far the best non-dairy ice cream I've ever had. It' a good thing they're so expensive... I only let myself buy them when they go on Buy One Get One Free!
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it junk b/c it isn't made with a lot of chemicals/artificial products. They look good, actually. For me, though, I know I would have to seperate the bars immediately so that I don't eat them all at once (one at work, one at home, give one to a friend right away, etc.)
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good to me-no noticable "junk" in there and not bad carbs. Fat is about the same as a large spoon of olive oil. If it tastes good then looks like a treat option. Question is-can you eat only one? Not me, so this could not be in my freezer...
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    With 10 grams of sugar I wouldn't eat them everyday, but a little indulgence every once in a while is good. At only 170 cals I say if you need a little fix go for it!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The fact that they are not made with a bunch on unpronouceable ingredients makes them better than some, but the amount of sugar in them would give me pause. They should consider using more fats to make the desert more rich and cut some of that sugar. Sugar's the real killer these days, not the fat.
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think the real question is " do these fit within my macros/and or calories for the day?" If the answer is yes... then I say enjoy. They look like a pretty good choice and if they taste good and are worth the calories... I say go for it.

^^^ This. There is no more "junk food" / "no junk food" line for you. Welcome to controlled eating.

If you're tracking your fats, carbs, proteins, sugar, and calories and making sure you eat enough of each one every day to remain healthy while not going over on any one of them by a ridiculous amount, there IS NO JUNK FOOD in your vocabulary any more.

There are only foods that you can fit in your daily intake, and those that you cannot. And that's not something anyone else can answer. Have you eaten all the nutritious foods you need for the day and do you have a little room for some fat and sugar? Then eat up! If not, adjust the rest of your diet around one of these if they are the treat that keeps you sane.

I drink beer, wine, and whiskey. I eat chocolate, cake, cookies, and ice cream. But I make sure I fit such things into my diet. They aren't junk food if I've eaten all my proteins and other macros for the day and have enough room to work one in.

this.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    it would be junk food in my book, but it could be way worse. so enjoy some :)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Only if you eat the whole box at once...or maybe anything more than one bar in a day. Otherwise, I'd just say it's a nice treat.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am not big on Agave, but they are organic, so to me they are fine. I would have gotten a regular chocolate covered ice cream or an ice cream sandwich. To me junk food is the really good stuff like Lays Potato Chips. Can you eat only one?
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Why's it really matter? If it fits into your calories, and doesn't kill your macros, then go for it.
  • momof3inmn
    momof3inmn Posts: 26
    Options
    I like the 100-calorie coconut sandwiches even better.

What brand are they?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Usually if it is good, then it is "junk food".

Um... I think salads and broccoli and eggs are delicious. They're not junk food.

To the OP, yes, they're junk food, but so what? If you have room in your day, eat one. Live a little. :)
  • suthrnladey
    suthrnladey Posts: 36
    Options
    Looks good to me. I'm also lactose intolerant. I've never seen this brand, but to be quite honest, I don't look for dairy free products. I drink lactose free milk and avoid most dairy products. I have lactose enzyme supplement pills that I take on occasion when I do have ice cream.

Thanks for this post!!! I will be looking for this next time I go to the grocery store.
    :flowerforyou: