Layer of fat over my muscle!

Options
I have a layer of fat on my body (esp. my stomach and thighs) that I really want to get off! I've heard a lot of people encourage strength training for this, however, my legs are already pretty muscular -I don't want them to grow any bigger! I really just want to unveil the muscles that I already have that are hidden underneath all this fat!
I dance 2 days a week for 2 hrs which really works my muscles, I also go to the gym and power walk at an incline, run, use the arc/elliptical trainer, swim laps occasionally -and I usually do ab work with a 10lb medicine ball and do some dumbbell work (5 to10 lbs) on my arms (i need to get more routine with it though).

Is cardio my answer? Extreme control over what I eat? I try really hard to eat healthy -but I still eat meat (mainly chicken & tuna) and carbs. . I really enjoy all kinds of food so I haven't been very routine with my eating (like chicken with broccoli/green beans every single day, which is what I know a lot of fit people do). .

I wanna get rid of this layer of fat! About 15lbs. .but I don't want to increase the muscle on my legs.

I've been having a really hard time seeing any results, and I've been trying to lose weight for monnths!

Any advice??

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1) Eat at a moderate caloric deficit. 20% Under TDEE is a good start.
    2) Lift weights, moderately heavy.
    3) Consume adequate macronutrition. See below link.
    4) Get rest.
    5) Repeat.
    6) Don't try to micromanage all the other crap that doesn't matter.

Supplementary knowledge: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

In closing: You won't bulk up. 1) above keeps this under control.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Done in one. Bravo sir.
  • happyfit11
    happyfit11 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check out the link and give it all I've got!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    In closing: You won't bulk up.

Ah, you beat me too it. Nothing for me to add except that your back shot is awesome.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Like others said, lift moderately heavy, keep doing your dance, and eat clean.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    bump for later.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    4) Get rest.
    5) Repeat.

Supplementary knowledge: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I'm doing this and it's working. I have what my husband refers to as "thicker thighs" and a generous *kitten* for my small frame... I too have had similar concerns as you, OP... nothing to worry about. Eating at a deficit and lifting "heavy" is leaning me out down there a bit... and tightening everything up! :)
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do six days a week of resistance/incline cardio for an hour each time, and do 5 days a week of lifting as heavy as I can. Sometimes I have high rep days (sets of 20-30-40) which makes me have to lift less, but I still lift until fatigue. I can barely finish the last reps. I also do sprints one day a week. Do I look bulky?
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    bump
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    BUMP
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Bumper cars? ;)
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    everyone says you wont bulk up on a deficit but I did lol so just figure out what works for you.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I do six days a week of resistance/incline cardio for an hour each time, and do 5 days a week of lifting as heavy as I can. Sometimes I have high rep days (sets of 20-30-40) which makes me have to lift less, but I still lift until fatigue. I can barely finish the last reps. I also do sprints one day a week. Do I look bulky?

Just wanted to say, wow, wow WOW!!!! U look amazing, ur before and afters are so inspiring!!!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal gave me the same advice about six months ago.

<---- Proof that he knows what he's talking about (yeah, I still have a ways to go but it's coming!)
  • EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    I so need to print off this advice. Even though I still have more to lose, I'd like to shed the fat I know is covering the muscle. Thanks!
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    4) Get rest.
    5) Repeat.

Nicely put!!!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    4) Get rest.
    5) Repeat.

Yep,this! They won't get any bigger, it's almost impossible to build muscle on a deficit, and hard for a woman full stop!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    4) Get rest.
    5) Repeat.

Listen to this guy!!! I'm 110 pounds with a petite frame and I lift heavy. Trust me you won't bulk up unless you eat a ton and/or take supplements, even then it is HARD to do for a female.