Chicken Recipes

Options
lanteik
lanteik Posts: 25
So I've come to terms that I can't cook chicken. Let me rephrase that... I can cook a mean bland chicken, but not a flavorful piece of chicken.

I love the taste of chicken when cooked right; I enjoy grilled chicken at restaurants. It always has such a nice flavor to it.

Does anyone have any good healthy chicken recipes / marinades that they find are as good or better than what they can order at a restaurant?

I would like to eat grilled chicken a few times a week, but I have to have something I can look forward to eating. I've tried marinades in the packet, in a bottle, and even tried pre-marinated chicken from the butcher, and it still just seems so so to me.

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• araines92
    araines92 Posts: 12
    Options
    I really like just browning my chicken breasts in EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), I sprinkle Perfect Blend Seasoning and Rub - Chicken/Poultry made by Lawrys (I find it at Sam's Club) on both sides and brown on both sides over med heat. My family really enjoys it this way. I have also used Tony Cachere's (Cajun seasoning) or McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken. These are all very good. You can marinade in Italian Dressing (I like the Zesty Italian). Happy cooking. Hope you enjoy. Angela
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    I think chicken is a lot more complicated to cook than most people think. For me, the trick is not to overcook and end up with dry chicken. If I keep the moisture, then it tastes so savory, but if I cook too fast or too long, I may as well be eating cardboard. Keep experimenting and cook it slow.
  • bjstrong
    bjstrong Posts: 11
    Options
    I use a lot of recipes from Pampered Chef. Most of them are low calorie and I don't have to adjust for my food level. Escpecially their books for dinner in less than 29 minutes (they aren't kidding about that!). Most of the time I use a meat pounder to thin out the chicken before I cook it. Just put the boneless, skinless breast between two pieces of plastic and use the flat side of the pounder. It evens out the thickness and makes it easier to cook without over/under cooking. You could also use ground up nuts to coat the outside of the chicken - this is really yummy with almonds & cooked spinach. I look everywhere for new recipes. Try Better Crocker or Better Homes & Garden for ideas. - Better Home & Garden has the Almond Crusted Chicken w/spinach that my whole family loves!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke Chicken

20 oz. Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts
    1 Cup Ketchup
    1 (12 oz.) Can of Diet Cola

Put chicken in a non-stick skillet. Pour ketchup and diet cola over the
    chicken. Turn heat to medium high and cook chicken for 45 minutes, stirring
    occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook another 15-20 minutes.
    Remove lid, and cook until sauce thickens and sticks to chicken. Sauce will
    taste like BBQ and the chicken is very tender.

Note: You can also make shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches with this. Simply
    use 2 forks and pull the chicken apart about 15 minutes before it's finished
    cooking. I also like to add some black pepper and diced onions to my cola
    chicken right when I start to cook it.

Serves: 5
    Per Serving: 184 Calories; 3g Fat (15.2% calories from fat); 26g Protein;
    13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 69mg Cholesterol; 640mg Sodium.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    marking to get the recipe later
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke Chicken

1 Cup Ketchup

This is interesting. I will be trying this!! Thanks.

A recipe that I just made last night was Chicken Cordon Bleu. Preheat oven to 400. Just flatten the chicken, dip in egg wash, lay a piece of ham and swiss cheese in the center, roll up, secure with a toothpick, roll in breadcrumbs(I used Italian), and bake for 25 minutes. The recipe says to put a half piece of swiss on each piece and bake for an additional 5 minutes....but that's just extra calories.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    i just usually marinate my chicken in some teriyak and cook at 350, after 20 minutes flip it and check for doneness

also if you like sweet/spict there is some asian sweet chili sauce that comes in a clear plastic jar about 4 inches tall with a red rooster on it, the sauce is a chunky red, i mix that with some worchester (close as i can get to spelling that weird word, and too lazy to check), let marinate and cook the same as above
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I use any sort of clubhouse spice (garlicplus, rosted red pepper or sweet chili pepper) but first I drizzel a little olive oil, then the spice then a bit of parmasean cheese. So yummy!
    OR
    Dip chicken in a light ceaser dressing, then dip in shake and bake, gives it a kick and keeps the chicken really moist!
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Diet Coke Chicken

1 Cup Ketchup

This is interesting. I will be trying this!! Thanks.

A recipe that I just made last night was Chicken Cordon Bleu. Preheat oven to 400. Just flatten the chicken, dip in egg wash, lay a piece of ham and swiss cheese in the center, roll up, secure with a toothpick, roll in breadcrumbs(I used Italian), and bake for 25 minutes. The recipe says to put a half piece of swiss on each piece and bake for an additional 5 minutes....but that's just extra calories.

A different version of the Chicken Cordon Blue is to use 1 The Laughing Cow Cheese wedge instead of the swiss cheese...one wedge is only 35 calories. I've tried this and it is delicious. It is a Hungry Girl recipe.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Chicken and Salsa
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 c salsa
    1 pkg reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 c reduced fat sour cream

Put chicken in slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Blend salsa and soup together and then pour over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice, orzo or couscous.

Nutrional info
    Services per recipe 6 (the recipe I was given didnt give serving size)

157.2 Calories
    3.3 g fat
    63.4 mg cholesterol
    654.2 mg sodium (there has to be a way to cut this down)
    6.7 g total carb
    .9 g dietary fiber
    24.3 g protein

This tastes awesome with couscous
  • sheilamatt2005
    Options
    just tagging for recipes :smile:
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Chicken and Salsa
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 c salsa
    1 pkg reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 c reduced fat sour cream

Put chicken in slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Blend salsa and soup together and then pour over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice, orzo or couscous.

Nutrional info
    Services per recipe 6 (the recipe I was given didnt give serving size)

157.2 Calories
    3.3 g fat
    63.4 mg cholesterol
    654.2 mg sodium (there has to be a way to cut this down)
    6.7 g total carb
    .9 g dietary fiber
    24.3 g protein

This tastes awesome with couscous

I've had this before, although my recipe didn't call for the condensed soup. I shredded the chicken and put it on lettuce/tomato/cheese/sour cream/salsa/baked doritos - made a nice big taco salad :) I do the same with turkey chili ... yum!
  • lanteik
    lanteik Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas!! I'm going to have to try them out. :happy:
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a slow cooker recipe similar to the salsa one
    Chicken pieces
    salsa
    can of black beans (drained and rinsed to get all the sodium off)
    can of mexicorn (drained)
    thats it slow cook on low for 7 hours or so
    Yummmmy!!:wink:
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    Im making this recipe right now. Its my first time eating it ...i'll will be back with the results of it.

Easy Bake Chicken and Rice.

1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup
    1 cup water
    3/4 cup uncooked rice( i used one bag of uncle bens boil-n-bag brown rice)
    1/2 tsp. paprika (divided)
    1/2 tsp. pepper (divided)
    2 skinnles, boneless chicken breasts
    1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375.

In an 8”x8” baking pan, mix the soup, water, rice, 1/4 tsp. of paprika, and 1/4 tsp. of pepper. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. paprika, then place on top of the rice. Cover with foil (tightly). Bake 45-60 minutes.
  • punka274
    Options
    I wanted to come back and say thanks for posting the recipes...i will try them all:flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Casper's chicken & cabbage - it's in the database.

1-1/2 pounds boneless-skinless chick breast. Slice to smallish strips. (I'm forgetful, so I always end up hacking frozen chicken with a cleaver. It works).

Cook hot in bottom of big pan with 1/8 bottle (couple big squeezes) of Free Italian salad dressing.
    Don't try to brown, just get it cooked.

Chop up BIG head of cabbage. Coarse chop, big pieces. Can use 1-1/2 or 2 small head.

Dump a couple cups o'water and the cabbage and another big squeeze of the dressing in the pot.

Cover - Reduce heat, stir if ya' think of it, simmer/steam for 25 mins or so 'til cabbage is good (I like mine a little firmer)

Tasty stuff, and a nice big serving is under 300 calories. There's your protein and your veggie. Serve with a roll or slice o'wheat toast or something and it's good.
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    If you like barbeque chicken:

Take a bottle of barbeque sauce and some chicken, toss it all in a crockpot and cook it on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. It's delicious!
  • punka274
    Options
    Im making this recipe right now. Its my first time eating it ...i'll will be back with the results of it.

Easy Bake Chicken and Rice.

1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup
    1 cup water
    3/4 cup uncooked rice( i used one bag of uncle bens boil-n-bag brown rice)
    1/2 tsp. paprika (divided)
    1/2 tsp. pepper (divided)
    2 skinnles, boneless chicken breasts
    1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375.

In an 8”x8” baking pan, mix the soup, water, rice, 1/4 tsp. of paprika, and 1/4 tsp. of pepper. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. paprika, then place on top of the rice. Cover with foil (tightly). Bake 45-60 minutes.

I had to come back and say that this was fabulous! Next time i won't add any extra salt because the soup has enough sodium in it and i will use less pepper. My dh loved it! he didn't even know i used brown rice...bonus:drinker:

Here is the nutritional info...Servings:2, Calories:395, Fat:15, Carbs: 49.
    *im sure you can lower the cals and the fat grams by using the fat free cream of chicken soup*
  • ajhockenberry22
    Options
    Easy grilled chicken - very moist!

I let my chicken breasts unthaw in a Ziplock baggie in the fridge overnight. When I get home from work, I dump out any excess water/chicken juice from the bag. I stab the chicken with a fork lots of times on both sides. Then I put it in a bowl and I like to use Newman's Own Family Recipe Italian salad dressing for a marinade. So pour some into the bowl and then I stir my chicken around in the bowl so some of it can soak into the little holes from the fork. I let it sit for probably 10 - 15 minutes on each side. Then I grill it - but on indirect heat! I think this is the secret. I have the middle burner on, but place it off to the side. It always tastes so good - and moist! Good luck!