Water question

Options
2»

Replies

• Cherylt825
    Cherylt825 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been researching and some of what I've read scared the crap out of me but I don't want to get dehydrated. I don't know how much I sweat out when I'm exercising and it's all a little confusing. So, I decided I'll just drink to my thirst!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I have been researching and some of what I've read scared the crap out of me but I don't want to get dehydrated. I don't know how much I sweat out when I'm exercising and it's all a little confusing. So, I decided I'll just drink to my thirst!

dingdingdingding!!! i am not trying to sound like a sarcastic *kitten*...but YES!!!!!!!!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Wow! If I drank as much water as some of you I would not have room to eat anything, and I would get nothing done for going to the bathroom!

Yeah, that's me, too. I am not a big water drinker, but I don't drink pop or juices either.
    I usually drink skim milk , water or an occasional drink of O.J. I have never been dehydrated, either.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    What about flavored water, such as tea? Does that count as water intake?
    Can't tell if you are kidding or serious
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow! If I drank as much water as some of you I would not have room to eat anything, and I would get nothing done for going to the bathroom!

It seems to be the case for me and I get up several times during the night it is so aggravating but I am loosing weight , I am not hungry and I have not had a blemish in months.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx
    The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs. In hotter climates, the body needs more water than this.
    All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Interesting read, thanks.

I'd also suggest people read a book called "The Runners Body" (Tucker, Dugas & Fitzgerald) there's a very interesting section on hydration (trust your thirst) and the funding of much of the so-called hydration research.

Personally I try to drink about 2 litresof fluids daily (more in hot weather) but I'm also running 40 to 50km per week and am more concerned with the performance degradation that results from dehydration than anything else.

Yes, endurance athletes have died from hyponatremia and for those of you drinking a gallon or more daily I'd be concerned about electrolyte levels (remember the concept of osmosis from biology class?)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    stay hydrated...the end...
    Amen.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    When they, Dr's and MFP, say that you should drink 8 cups of water a day, do they mean 8 measuring cups or 8 drinking cups? The cup I drink out of could hold at least 4 measuring cups of water.
    i usually drink 15-20 16 oz glasses
    You must like using the bathroom. Unless you're that thirsty then maybe its another problem. When my dad was drinking a lot of water like that and was always thirsty he turned out to be diabetic. Not that drinking water will cause diabetes but excessive thirst is a symptom of high blood sugar.