hypothyroid

hi
does anyone have this? did you see weight loss after medication was sorted out?

Replies

• angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    I do and have had since I was in high school (20 years ago!) I've been having to adjust my meds for the last few years though. When they are "right" I seem to have an easier time losing. The weight didn't come off fast though, it still took work for me.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    im just waiting on the results of my tests but im pretty sure ive got it. was hoping id find it a bit easier to lose weight after i got some medication for it??
  • Personally, I have congenital hypothyroidism.(I was born with it) The medicine does help somewhat with weight because it helps replace the chemicals the thyroid produces that would help with weightloss but overall weightloss and control is up to you.
  • jackiemonx
    yeah i know its down to me to stay healthy and active - which i do, just only ever seem to lose about 1/4 - 1/2 lb a week tops
  • I have no thyroid-had mine removed almost 18 yrs ago and radiation for the cancer. I had gastric bypass about 10 yrs ago...then had my little girl and pouch is all stretched out so I'd put much of it back on. Had lost 130 lbs and was 25 lbs from my goal weight...ah well. This time around, it's much harder to get it back off but I'm down 25 lbs since making this latest, very serious effort. It is key to make sure you get thyroid tested regularly-mine is usually 2x a year. If meds are regulated, weight loss is possible. It's tough but this site is making it much easier for me to track those fat and protein and carb details as well as the calories. Awesome!! Don't give up or use it as an excuse why you can't lose weight. Just adopt a healthier life style as soon as possible and when the meds are right, the weight will come back off. I believe!! Good luck all!!
  • I'd like to know what symptoms people have with hypothyroidism. I have a mild case of it (not enough to be put on medicine yet) and would like to know what other people battle with too (and how they handle it)
  • Symptoms-Sluggishness
    -Weight gain
    - extreme sensitivity to cold
    -tiredness
    Just some I know of...
  • leeneme
    leeneme Posts: 4 Member
    I am in the same boat. I have finally got my meds "right" since my thyroidectomy and have found that I can loose weight but find it much more difficult now, but it is possible if you are serious and positive.
    This site has helped me a lot. I can access it from work, my phone and home so there is never any problem keeping track and staying motivated. It is also very user friendly.
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    I really love how people try to make excuses for their weight.
  • Who says we're making excuses. I admit alot of times the massive weight gain people suffer is at their own hands. BUT hypothyroidism can have a major impact on one's weight especially in ladies.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member

Yeah you are soooo right. :huh: Thryoid removed because of cancer..excuses excuses!
    /sarcasm off
  • becabean
    becabean Posts: 49 Member

i really love how people that dont understand something make comments like these!!!

i also have this condition and u can lose weight but im afraid it is 3 times harder and slower and that is not an excuses it is a quote from my doctors!
    so good luck to all that are trying and well done to u all :) anything u do lose even if it is slow and small its all still a lose x
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    I am hypothyroid, and while yes it makes it harder to lose weight, it's not an impossible as people make it seem. Just get on the right meds and use common sense with a good diet and exercise. I just lost 100 lbs with hypothyroidism, and in my case it didn't make it harder.
  • @bnelly Thank you for the good answer.
  • becabean
    becabean Posts: 49 Member
    @bnelly55

wow thats great well done :) can i ask how long has that taken u ?
  • jackiemonx
    i weigh 143 the now so only wanting to lose 15-20lbs. i already eat healthy and exercise, if i dont i put on a lb a day easy, even just goin slightly over on cals
  • Another symptom is dry skin, my dr. also askes me about water retention so I guess it has something to with it too.
    I started taking levotiroxine (100 mgm daily) when I was 18. Even though I`m battling with my weight now, I remember loosing way more easily after starting with the pills!
    Hope you it helps you in your journey too, and you´ll feel so much better, I guarantee that!
  • kimwill736
    kimwill736 Posts: 1
    I'm a 20 year old, very active female who got diagnosed as hypothyroid when I was 17.
    I went on medication I have never had a problem with my weight.

However, my doctor has this spring made me keep retaking blood tests because my thyroid hormones are wack, and I have somehow managed to gain 15 pounds....while training for a triathlon. It's not all muscle.

Hopefully, once my numbers are in the normal range again, I will be able to lose those pounds and not be at a standstill because my metabolism is non-existant. :/