I am stuck over 400 pounds after several months trying.

Options
I have tried diets, food addiction 12 step support groups, purging....all in the last few months. I have been watching myself get sicker and sicker and less able to function.

Yesterday I started to get some exercise with half a chair aerobics workout. Today I went to the gym and did a stationary bike for 16 minutes. It isn't comfortable because I don't fit well into the machine, but if I had hope that my shape would change I think I could keep it up. I just need some support. I am extremely depressed and I don't have insurance so I can't restart my depression med until I can start working again and get insurance. Can't start working again until I can stand/walk 8 or 12 hours (I am a nurse). I can't start working again until I get rid of some of this weight and can move. I am struggling with the weight loss because of the depression.

It is a cycle of can'ts and I can see in it a great big pitty party. I have been more functional after exercising the last two days - I have had more motivation to take care of laundry and things that need doing around the house, I have seen a difference in my attitude.

If anyone has broken out of this kind of cycle and lost large numbers I would appreciate you friending me. I am bouncing between 430 and 450 lately. I hit 429 for a day then went back up again.
The things I am doing to break out of it:
I planted some flowers out in my front garden bed that has been empty for 2 years.
I have some hanging plants which I have to go out and water if it doesn't rain - that makes me go outside.
I find a new plant every week or so that I have to go plant.
I am re-committing to doing movement of some sort 6x a week with sunday off
Every year my daughter's school has a huge fundraiser they call the Great Pumpkin 5k. I intend to walk it this year with her, so I am talking to her about 'training' with me for it.
I am making an attempt to dress better and shower and fix hair every day.
I am wearing my lace up shoes every day.

If there is something someone has read or done that has helped them, or if you just want to friend me and drop a note once in a while, I would appreciate it a ton. I am taking steps to clear the funk from my head but it is hard and my husband doesn't understand. I feel like the family has written me off. No one expects anything of me anymore because I have not been contributing much. This has to change.

Replies

• LJ728
    LJ728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

This video on youtube.com was posted by several people on here, but I watch it sometimes when I feel like throwing in the towel...
  • LJ728
    LJ728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Take a watch....

Also....it sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction...just don't give up.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I used to be 120 but then I was diagnosed with MS and gained a lot of weight. I was on steriods for 5 months and in a wheelchair for over 2 years. I started MFP 2 weeks ago. Walking my dogs, stretching every day and trying to stay under my daily calories. I have lost nearly 10 lbs.
    When I told my mother I was going to do this all I got out of her was "Yeah sure you are." No support there. I have my sons and my husband that are my biggest supporters but my husband is also trying to get in shape. He's a lot smaller than me. He's about 160 lbs and I am currently at 273.
    I am proud to hear that you are making this effort. A 5k walk. I am very proud of you for that. I am going to send you a friend request. Motivation and logging in daily and tracking everything I eat. Make sure to drink enough water. That helps me a lot.

Terri
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for insulin resistance? That saved my life. My Dr. put me on metformin and that and a crap ton of will power and I am just pounds away from 100 lbs lost and I feel like a whole new person.

My primary kept telling me to get gastric as I could not lose the weight. I went to see him about a month ago and the poor guy almost crapped his pants.

It can be done. The medication helped me. My friends have encouraged me and as soon as i started losing I could exercise again (bad knees) and I now am so motivated by the losses that I am on a roll that I know will take me to the end. If the exercise is too much then don't do it. I lost the first 70 lbs or so just by cutting out fast food/processed foods and weighing everything (restricted calories and carbs by Dr. helped too). You do not need to exercise but I know with me my OCD behavior went from eating excessively to now being consumed with counting every single morsel of food and kicking myself if I don't get my 10,000 steps a day. I guess I had to trade one addiction for another but this one I am liking so much better.

Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot do this. They did that to me and I proved them wrong so far. You can too.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have some awesome idea's in place for you to start moving. Have you been logging your food too? This is such a great FREE resource! I lost 65lbs doing weight watchers a few years back and stopped because it was costing alot of money...well I gained it all back. I figure I have no excuse now, this is FREE! I have 100lbs to loose, (120 if you count in my pregnancy weight). I'm working on it, chipping away one pound at a time. Try and set small goals for yourself, that really helps. Seeing the WHOLE number that you have to loose can be over whelming and seem unrealistic. (I haven't weighed my goal weight since 9th grade!!! EEK!) Hang in there!!
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned insulin. I would definately get on board with getting checked for thyroid issues or whatnot with your doctor. Some hospitals have weight loss centers. Also, being accountable to someone will definately help. One of my biggest things is I have a tendency to dive in head first to dieting (hardcore exercise and diet right out of the gate) but it looses momentum and I get too sore, too tired, too hungry, etc. You need to make sure you are doing enough right now without hurting yourself.

Have you tried aqua aerobics? I know it may not be fun to get in a bathingsuit and in the water, but that will help, too.

Make mini goals for yourself. Not a huge grand goal that seems to far off. My favorite thing for goals is to make them SMART.

S: specific
    M: measureable
    A: achievable
    R: realistic
    T: time-frame

These goals need to be made by you and specific to you. Own them. Here are examples of my goals.
    Daily: log in food and exercise; get to the gym or do stuff outside of the gym.
    Week: get 5 days/week at the gym; get one day in at the track
    Month of May: study for my Doc Qual Exam and ace it; lose 5 lbs
    Summer: lose 15 lbs; my goal at the track (make it to meets and runs with friends)

See? Now, you can do it too. OWN THEM. Post them someplace where you see them every day. Put something on your mirror in the bathroom that you have to read. Go through your house and throw out foods that aren't good for you. Make sure you exercise clothes are easily accessible. Get the gist? Good luck!

If you have any other questions, email me. I'm getting my PhD in sport and exercise psychology and am really interested in exercise adherence, weight loss, and obesity (mainly in children, but all really).

Stay with it! :happy:
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for insulin resistance? That saved my life. My Dr. put me on metformin and that and a crap ton of will power and I am just pounds away from 100 lbs lost and I feel like a whole new person.

My primary kept telling me to get gastric as I could not lose the weight. I went to see him about a month ago and the poor guy almost crapped his pants.

It can be done. The medication helped me. My friends have encouraged me and as soon as i started losing I could exercise again (bad knees) and I now am so motivated by the losses that I am on a roll that I know will take me to the end. If the exercise is too much then don't do it. I lost the first 70 lbs or so just by cutting out fast food/processed foods and weighing everything (restricted calories and carbs by Dr. helped too). You do not need to exercise but I know with me my OCD behavior went from eating excessively to now being consumed with counting every single morsel of food and kicking myself if I don't get my 10,000 steps a day. I guess I had to trade one addiction for another but this one I am liking so much better.

Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot do this. They did that to me and I proved them wrong so far. You can too.

Same here with the insulin resistance- I am on metformin and it has made a big difference in my ability to lose weight.

Do you know how many calories you are eating? You also want to make sure you are eating enough because that can stall things out sometimes.

Just wish I could give you a big hug!! Hang in there- you'll get through it!
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and if that's too much then take it one hour at a time, Slowly make changes to your diet, add in healthier foods a little at a time. Start walking a little but don't bite off more than you can chew. Baby steps, it is all a process. You didn't gain the weight overnight so you are not going to lose it overnight. Be patient and stick with it.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Do you follow Chris Powell? He is the guru for people loose large amounts of weight. One of the things he said he did in the beginning was to 'eat healthy' every other day at first. Just so you don't have to immediately go from one extreme to another. Check out his site and tell me what you think:

http://chrispowell.com/
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    I am over 400lbs now but have lost 12lbs since starting on mfp this month. If you will accept - AND GIVE - true support, advice and opinion, and be willing to take it as well, you are MORE than welcome to add me as a friend!
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides overweight underweight.Spent time in Rehab.I am now I feel on the right track.Have you tried water exercise?It is easy on your joints and you can do more for a much longer time. I will say a special prayer for you. Blessings
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

This video on youtube.com was posted by several people on here, but I watch it sometimes when I feel like throwing in the towel...

Wow! That video is awesome! I don't feel like throwing in the towel, but that is totally a great vid to watch.

Please don't give up on yourself though. There are SO many people on this site that have been overweight and have lost it. You can too!!! Take it one day at a time and make healthy choices. No one is perfect!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    First off, go see your doctor. They may not want you to do any hard exercise until you take some weight off. Are you able to walk around a park? You should start walking at first, for maybe 15 minutes a day, and gradually build up. You don't want to lose weight too quick because it could shock your body. Then again, I am not a doctor. You can't do this alone. You have a long journey ahead of you, but I feel that you will be an MFP success story.
  • beatlesfan31
    beatlesfan31 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not any good at advice so I'll just let you know I'm cheering for you. There are a lot of knowledgable people on MFP and hopefully they can help you find the answers you need. Wishing you the best. Take care of yourself.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are definitely starting in the right direction, and major kudos to you for wanting this lifestyle change!

Some things to do: measure all your food and log it into MFP. Walk. You might only be able to go to the end of the block and back at first, but you'll start to see small improvements. Any kind of stretching would be beneficial. Find little things you can do around the house that aren't too strenuous - like changing the TV station by hand instead of using the remote! Carry each of your utensils to the sink one at a time after a meal! :)

I know you are without insurance, but are there any state-run medical clinics that take uninsured near you? There are usually a few around. I would try to get in to get fasting labs taken and a physical so you can get a clean bill of health for exercise.

Everyone here has great ideas. I can't wait to hear about your progress and success!!!!
  • wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    losing weight is tough but losing weight w depression is even harder. keep of the good work and take it one day at a time. chris powell and biggest loser have encouraged me ALOT!! check them out! also i loved what one of the ladies said "set small goals" i love MFP BUT i get discouraged alot by how much weight people loss so fast. i now have started to set little goals like "eat 1 fruit and 3 veggies a day" sounds stupid but it's my goal to keep for 2 weeks and move on to my next goal. best of luck to you!! don't give up!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have some good ideas and plans for getting healthy and functional again. I think it's awesome that you are planning to walk a 5k with your daughter! I wish I could give you some good advice, but all I can say is just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Literally. The chair workout sounds like a great start, and being able to do some things around your house and garden. If you have access to a pool at the gym, try water aerobics or water walking--great low impact exercise until you get to a point where you can do more. There are some people on MFP who've literally lost half their size or more--I hope you can connect with some of them and get some really strong support from people who've been where you are.

I wish you the best of health and success! You CAN do this.

I also wanted to share this Youtube video--it's about a guy who went from being morbidly obese to running the Boston Marathon to raise money for his niece who has cystic fibrosis. I just found it amazingly inspiring:
    http://youtu.be/Ja9BFx5Mhqo
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are on this great site and trying to get healthy and lose weight. It is important to have goals like your child's school 5K that you need to train for. You are off to a good start if you are trying to get moving at least 6 days a week. This is a hard process, start with what you can do and build up endurance. Biking will help you if you can stick to it, otherwise go for a walk outside. Buy some free weights and try to start building up some muscle to help burn more calories.

I also looked through your food diary and noticed KFC and Burger King. Try to avoid fast food at all costs. Add more fruits and veggies to your diet, try to cut back a bit on carbs and make sure you are eating good lean proteins. Try not to get discouraged, this isn't something that will happen overnight. I'm also guessing that you see a psychologist/ psychiatrist since you are on meds, maybe talk with them about your weight struggles. Good Luck and send me a friend request if you want. ;)
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    First, welcome. You're absolutely in the right place. A lot of the previous posters have given you some great advice and resources. I'd just like to say that I'm here to support you. MFP was my start to saving my life. This is a place you can get support, be accountable, and have fun, all at the same time. SO here you go! Good luck!
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your experience as a nurse would work with this but a lot of insurance companies hire nurses as case manager's, reviewers etc. You might want to consider that option if you haven't yet. I don't really have any advice but I really wish you the best of luck and I think the most important part of losing the weight is that you decided to do it.