Roasted Okra with Basil = Amazing

Options
Skinny_Jeans_Soon
Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
We are growing okra in our garden and have been experimenting with recipes. I prefer it fried but am on a quest to find a healthier option. I didn’t realize okra had protein in it…bonus!!
Important note on this recipe – don’t roast any okra pods longer than 2.5 – 3 inches. They are too tough to eat.
Roasted Okra
Raw Okra ( 16 pods – doesn’t really matter how many)
Sea Salt
Pepper
0 Cal Baking Spray
Fresh Basil/Basil Seasoning
Onion Powder – Just a sprinkle

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Spray a shallow baking dish with olive oil, add okra, and season to taste. Give the okra one quick (1/2 second) spray with olive oil, and put them into the oven.

Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, until okra is browned on all sides, about 15-25 minutes.

I just pop these bad boys in my mouth whole. They are the perfect size for finger foods! Yummo, the taste will surprise you and the seasoning combos are endless, I am thinking chili powder on the next batch. Enjoy while they are warm.

Nutrition Facts for 16 (3”) pods – will feed 2 people as a side dish.

Cals – 59
Carbs – 13
Fat – 0
Protein – 4
Sodium – 15
Sugar - 2

Replies

• Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally delish!! Thanks!!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Okra is so misunderstood. Glad you are growing and cooking it!

I grow a special heirloom burgundy okra. I make sauces and soups with it mostly. It also freezes well.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    sounds good!
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Mmm I've never tried Okra but if I can find it in my grocery store I'm going to try this. It sounds tasty.
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    I've experiemented with cut okra by adding seasoning and baking them like fries. Really good!! :wink:
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Mmm I've never tried Okra but if I can find it in my grocery store I'm going to try this. It sounds tasty.

Try the farmer's market first.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    thank you thank you thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • GarthBear
    GarthBear Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love fried okra too and was just thinking about what other ways it could be prepared the other day.
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    lol i thought you meant roasted orca...like u were eating shamu or somethign!!! i was like no!!!!! dont eat shamu!!!!
  • CSU2012
    CSU2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this, if I can find "whole okra" at the grocery.