General questions about diet...

Options
Hi there,

Some basic info first: I'm a 43 male, 5' 10", 170lbs and I want to tone up, gain a little definition, and loose a little bit of fat around the middle.. I have an 18" scare running down the middle of my abdomen due to a surgery... and there is a fatty build around it that I want to loose....

So, I've started to run\jogging\walking 3 miles a day, and do resistant workouts with a weight machine at the gym every other day.

I am also modifying my diet and want to cut out all the "bad" foods.. So I have been eating a lot of raw veggies (carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, spinach, green beans) , fresh fruit (Cantaloup, Grapes, Mango, Strawberries Pineapple, Honey Dew, blueberry), and Quinoa along with salmon (poached), pork and chicken breast...

I am looking for ideas when it comes to lunch meals... and would like to know if there are any deli meats that are better\worst then others.... ? And does anyone have any good ideas on how to cook Quinoa to give it more flavor? I love the stuff, but would like to mix it up a little.

Replies

• Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track. As far as deli meats, just watch the sodium and fat content. I had such trouble with the sodium that I gave up on lunch meat.

I do have a few quick lunch ideas for you to try.

If you have access to a full kitchen at lunch, try the indivdually packaged frozen fish. (Not the Gorton's stuff, this is unseasoned and should be with the frozen shrimp in your grocery store.) I usually pre-heat the oven to 450F about 10 minutes before lunch time, and thaw the fish in the sink with some water at the same time. Then I just season it with whatever I brought up and bake it for 10 minutes. (I've actually be coating it in Sriracha sauce and topping it with orange slices lately, but that's because I like spicy food.) It may sound odd to COOK something for lunch, but since my employer went to trouble of putting in a kitchen... It's especially nice because I only have 30 minutes for lunch and this is quick.
    I'll usually pair it with frozen vegetables and a big glass of water.

If you think the fish will stink up your office, you could try it with boneless, skinless chicken breast. (I haven't seen much of a problem with the fish that I've been buying, but I know some of the frozen stuff can reek.)