How do I log a running pace not listed in the database?

NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
Hello! I've been wondering this for awhile. I run three times a week, and my distance/pace varies somewhat. For instance, today I ran 6.4 miles in 1hr 6 minutes. That's a pace of 10 minutes and 23 seconds per mile. However, the closest running speeds that MFP lists are 10 minutes and 11.5 minutes per mile.

How should I log this exercise so that I accurately record the calories burnt? Is there some sort of mathematical equation?

Can someone more learned in either mathematics or kinesiology help me out?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Hello! I've been wondering this for awhile. I run three times a week, and my distance/pace varies somewhat. For instance, today I ran 6.4 miles in 1hr 6 minutes. That's a pace of 10 minutes and 23 seconds per mile. However, the closest running speeds that MFP lists are 10 minutes and 11.5 minutes per mile.

How should I log this exercise so that I accurately record the calories burnt? Is there some sort of mathematical equation?

Log it at 6mph (10 minute mile) for 64 minutes. Works out to the same distance.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Make your own exercise called Running (various paces).

Manualy enter your own calorie estimate based on studies at time of entry.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

MFP couldn't be that accurate anyway, those tables are based on intensity that you have no idea if you were anywhere close.
    The above site much better accuracy.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Okay, thank you guys! I'll check out those sites and just create my own exercise.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    HRM is really the only true way.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Nice horse ... yeah, you have to just create a custom exercise.

I had to make a lot of entries like "Run, 20km, weight Xkg ..." and so on

(Hope they don't clutter it up in there for anyone !)
  • Climber14
    Climber14 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey, you have the same problem as me! Lately, I *always* fall between these two paces, and usually around a 10:30 pace.

I usually just err on the side of caution, especially if you're going to be eating back those calories. For example, CardioTrainer said that my pace today was 5.6 miles per hour. So I used the 5.2 mph entry. I only use the 6 mph entry if I'm at 5.9 mph or above (which has only happened a few times, shorter runs usually.)

Oh, also, CardioTrainer has a calories listing, but it usually seems to be MORE than MyFitnessPal gives, so I use the lower number. I eat back my exercise calories, so I try to be as careful as possible. I don't want to go over my 1200 net calories just because I mis-entered a run.