trainer

An acquaintance said, “the only way to get in shape is to have a personal trainer.” Opinions?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    dont agree. but you do need a plan. trainers are good if you cant find your own plans
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Foolish mortal.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    If you have never seriously worked out before and don't know many of the exercises, one could be pretty beneficial. You absolutely can do it without one though.
  • TheBigBoots
    TheBigBoots Posts: 74 Member
    dont agree. but you do need a plan. trainers are good if you cant find your own plans

^^^ What she said.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I've done just fine without one, but do I think I would have reached my goals sooner with one...probably.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I think a personal trainer would be beneficial because they would motivate you and give you a plan but you can absolutely do it without one you just need to be motivated and have a good plan
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Do I think a personal trainer is the only way to get shape? No. Do they help a lot though? Hell yes!

I'm a very lazy person.. Do I want to sit around and figure out what sort of workout I want/need? No.. Do I want some to do it for me? Yes. Thats where the PT comes in....I sit back, and let him do all the figuring out and all I do follow along.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    An acquaintance said, “the only way to get in shape is to have a personal trainer.” Opinions?

Ridiculous. go to the gym and note how many fit people/or people on their way to being fit are working out alone or with a trainer.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    pfffft so false lol i've never stepped foot in a gym and have been told im lookin pretty ripped lately lol
  • andi_everywhere
    andi_everywhere Posts: 36 Member
    I think it depends on the individual. I tried for years to lose weight on my own, without success. I simply lacked the dedication and drive to make it happen. I would stick with something for a week, maybe two and then give up. Now at 36 years old, I decided THIS was going to be the year I whipped my butt into shape and would do whatever was necessary. I started working with a personal trainer 2 months ago and it was the BEST decision I ever made. I see him 5-6 times a week and he has pushed me harder than I ever could have pushed myself. He makes me do the things I would never do on my own (I'm a freakin' runner now for cryin' out loud!). He holds me accountable for everything I do and everything I eat. In the first month I lost 10 lbs, 10% body fat and 18.5" total inches. I just finished my 2nd month and met my first goal of losing 17 lbs. We haven't done my month 2 measurements/body fat just yet but I'm excited to see those numbers soon! I have never felt better, felt healthier, been stronger, been happier... spending the money on a personal trainer was what worked for me!
  • melissalynn317
    melissalynn317 Posts: 46 Member
    I agree with y'all I was just wondering what everyone thought. :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    No, not necessary, but a few session with one can help a lot. You do need a plan, and if you a struggling with making one on your own then a PT would be a good help, or if you have perhaps tried and failed a few times, a new sense of direction from a PT, plus guidance and support would be great. I was so clueless before I stared, had I not had my hubs help in the area, and a good frind who is a PT to ask silly questions to, I think I would have enlisted the help of a proper PT, just to help point me in the right direction for my goals.
  • andi_everywhere
    andi_everywhere Posts: 36 Member
    ...and have been told im lookin pretty ripped lately lol

Hell yeah you do! :)
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    i was all for using a trainer at my gym.. then i was told it cost about 8 thousand bucks for the year..

ya thanks i will google and get the information that way..

and stalk while they are training others and get tips that way.. i cant afford no 8 grand
  • amber_gem
    amber_gem Posts: 23 Member
    I've had four trainers. I don't have them anymore nor would I sign up for another one. They help maybe in the first month with form if you are doing free weights and you aren't familiar with what to do. After that, I think they are a waste unless there is something very specific like an athletic event you want to train for.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I look better than one of the trainers at my local Y.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    necessary? No
    Helpful? YES

I only see mine every 3-4 weeks and she gives me a new routine or tweaks my routine as I progress, for me it's totally worth it because I would rather someone who knows what exercises will benefit me tell me what to do then me spend months trying things and figuring out what works.
  • melissalynn317
    melissalynn317 Posts: 46 Member
    I'm pretty motivated. I've been doing P90x videos and the myfitnesspal ap (obviously) for my nutrition.