Planning for potluck..

Options
Every year the chuch that I am a member has an annual potluck after service on Sunday morning on Memorial Day weekend...I am trying to plan ahead, but not sure how I can do that or even how I can count the calories when you don't know what is exactly in everything...does anyone have suggestions for how to handle potlucks? Tell me your success stories!

Replies

• kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    You just have to use your common sense, really. Go for veggies and fruits and avoid creamy sauces/pastas/fried food of any sort. You could also just try tiny portions of different things so you don't feel like you're missing out.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    We have potlcks at work all the time, I try to work out in the moring on these days so I know how many cals I have to play with.

But if this is aonce a year thing, eat what you enjoy, dont go crazy, but a small bite of something wonderful wont kill all your hard work to date.

:)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just an idea...fill up half of your plate with what you want to try (little portions) and then the rest of salad, veggies or fruit. That way you aren't depriving yourself of things you want to try! You know, someone ALWAYS brings fruits and veggies!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Small portions of everything that is not a fruit/veggie. Get in extra exercise if you can. Good luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i make sure to bring something i would eat because i at least know there's 1 thing there.

the main thing i bring is spicy turkey meatballs. someone else always brings veggies so i know i'll at least eat meatballs and veggies
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Eat something healthy and filling before you go.

Bring a healthy dish of your own.

Avoid the dishes made with gobs of cheese, pasta, potatoes etc. Skip the rolls Look for chicken dishes, veggies and salads,
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I tend to bring snacks with me wherever I go. You could bring a healthy dish to share and bring some healthy snacks for yourself just in case. Although I tend to agree with the other posters, if it's once a year don't worry about it too much.