New to the gym equiptment.

Options
I just recently joined a gym and hired a trainer. I joined on May 8th and had my first and only workout with the trainer I hired on May 15th. The trainer is ill and will not be coming back to work until mid-June. I have been going 5 days a week but only using the treadmill because I don't really know how to use anything else in the gym.

Has anyone ever had to teach themselves how to use the equiptment? If so, what did you do to get started? I would love to get some advice, tips, etc...

I tried going on a couple websitesto figure things out but, was confused by the terminology. This is the gym I joined : http://www.rtnautilus.com/

Replies

• run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of just about every exercise with Pictures and Videos for every muscle group.

Start off with upper body one day then lower the next. Then repeat. Give yourself 2-3 days off a week for recovery. Workouts should be 45-60min long. Not counting Cardo. Only do Cardio for 20-30min. Better and easier if you can do Cardio at a different time of day. If not, do it at the end of your workout...

For choosing exercises. For the first few weeks. Pick multi joint compound Movements.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    The staff at the gym should be more than happy to show you how to use the equipment! Just ask!

Also, if you are paying for a trainer but he's out for weeks, he should have a different trainer take over for him, especially since you are new!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    There are more trainers out there ... your gym should, at the least, have staff available at no charge to show you how to use the equipment.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    Here is a list of just about every exercise with Pictures and Videos for every muscle group.

Start off with upper body one day then lower the next. Then repeat. Give yourself 2-3 days off a week for recovery. Workouts should be 45-60min long. Not counting Cardo. Only do Cardio for 20-30min. Better and easier if you can do Cardio at a different time of day. If not, do it at the end of your workout...

For choosing exercises. For the first few weeks. Pick multi joint compound Movements.

Thanks.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The link I posted for you isn't showing up now. Shoot me a pm and I'll get you that link again
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I still haven't set foot into the main area of the gym (except to pass through it to get to the cardio theater) because every time I go through there I feel so feeble and incompetent next to those big muscley grunting guys... So I started going to the women's room and familiarized myself with the equipment in there.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I just recently joined a gym and hired a trainer. I joined on May 8th and had my first and only workout with the trainer I hired on May 15th. The trainer is ill and will not be coming back to work until mid-June. I have been going 5 days a week but only using the treadmill because I don't really know how to use anything else in the gym.

Has anyone ever had to teach themselves how to use the equiptment? If so, what did you do to get started? I would love to get some advice, tips, etc...

I tried going on a couple websitesto figure things out but, was confused by the terminology. This is the gym I joined : http://www.rtnautilus.com/

Are you considering the possibility of hiring another trainer at the gym since you are new and ready to start?
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options

Are you considering the possibility of hiring another trainer at the gym since you are new and ready to start?

I already paid for 10 sessions :( Add to that she just happened to be friends with my MIL (did not know this when I hired her) and I find myself in a very uncomfortable position. I do want to learn the machines but, I'm going to choose my battles carefully here haha. I was just hoping to get some tips from others who may have had to start on their own. Also, the "staff" at the gym are nice but not very helpful, most of the time it is just one person there and I hear her tell someone last week "I'll fix that as soon as the other girl gets here", which never happened while I was there. So I assume they are told to make sure everyone is scanning in and don't leave the desk unattended.
  • ReneeJ814
    ReneeJ814 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the cardio machines, but on the weight lifting machines, there are usually instructions on how to properly do the exercise right on the machine. That is how I learned when I first started at the gym. If you're still confused, you can always ask one of the employees or another member. Usually people are very nice and are willing to help.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    By rights, the gym should give you another trainer if you ask.. and if they don't, then request your money back.

Most machines should have pictures on them showing you what to do and how to do it..and if they don't, then pick someone who looks friendly and who looks like what they are doing, and ask if they can help you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've never actually hired a personal trainer. I only use free weights. I learned by reading books, watching videos, and talking to a strength coach.