Whole vs. Skim for bebe

Options

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My pediatrician said whole milk or 2% from age 1 to age 2, and then drink whatever the rest of the family drinks. I switched my daughter to 2% when she was pretty young (maybe 27 months) b/c she really likes milk, and she would get too full on the whole milk and not eat any food.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others have already said this, but absolutely. She needs the fat for brain development.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I've done 2% milk with both my kids. Their doctor never recommended whole milk and 2% has been fine for them both.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    no. cow's milk is for cows.

you guys have been brainwashed by the dairy farmers of America.

Yeah, and fish are for sharks, but we eat those too.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I've done 2% milk with both my kids. Their doctor never recommended whole milk and 2% has been fine for them both.
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    I think whole milk is amazing if they have a good balanced diet otherwise.
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes you do! You can cause your baby brain damage if you give her skim milk at this age. Also..continue to nurse if you can. World health organization reccomends a MIN of 2 years breastfeeding (although not exclusively obviously).

Glad to hear that I was exposing my daughter to brain damage, because she was allergic to milk and couldn't have it. Despite her being a micropreemie, she is now ADVANCED for her age.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious... how did human brains develop before the domestication of the cow?
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    That is a question you should ask your pediatrician. Sometimes you can just call and ask.

My daughter (1 year old in 2 weeks) just had her check up and the doc said whole milk or 2%. I chose whole milk for right now. My 3 year old still drinks whole milk per my doctors request because she is on the thinner side. My near 1 year old will switch to 2% in about 6 months because she is in the higher percentile for her weight/height/age.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Yes you do! You can cause your baby brain damage if you give her skim milk at this age. Also..continue to nurse if you can. World health organization reccomends a MIN of 2 years breastfeeding (although not exclusively obviously).

If the baby has other sources of dietary fat, I'm sure brain damage will not occur. My godson was unable to breastfeed and he's turned out just fine.
  • opus649
    Options
    And... how do kids in Japan not suffer brain damage from a lack of cow's milk?
  • Jorra
    Options
    And... how do kids in Japan not suffer brain damage from a lack of cow's milk?

Get your logic out of here! :flowerforyou:
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Yes....whole.....I switched to skim when my oldest was 2....my 17 month old is on whole....she eats like crap and this has the fat she needs.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    my youngest just turned 2 yesterday my peds. md always says whole milk vit D untill age 2 they need the extra vitamins and the fat in the milk... i don't use it but i do see the wic stickers at the local Jewel grocery store by me in IL. covers whole milk..
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My children have all been very thin and very, VERY active. They all weaned themselves at 1 year, and they have been on whole milk since. It is perfect for calcium, fat, protein, all sorts of useful nutrition packed into one yummy cup.

To the person who asked how prehistoric people fed their kids before the domestication of the cow, that's a very dumb question, even though I know it was asked just to stir the pot. In the more undeveloped cultures, children are nursed until 2 or 3 before being transitioned to solid foods and water alone. It's also a very good reason why many women suffered from osteoporosis and spinal arthritis in their 30's and 40's back then, if they lived that far.

I don't think anyone's child will die from lack of whole milk, obviously, but if a person is not going to give their child whole milk, they should talk to a knowledgeable pedes or child nutritionist for replacement ideas.
  • opus649
    Options
    To the person who asked how prehistoric people fed their kids before the domestication of the cow, that's a very dumb question, even though I know it was asked just to stir the pot.

Ouch!!! I guess it would have been better if I had been insulting and rude to the person claiming that failure to give a child whole milk will result in brain damage?? It wasn't trying to "stir the pot"... I was trying to be subtle.

How's this... my kid drank 2% milk and started reading at the age of four. YMMV. Better?
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes. The fat in whole milk is vitally important for proper brain development.
    ^^^THIS! And if anyone tells you otherwise, you need to consult her pediatrician.

That's not my child's pediatrician's recommendation. Nor is it the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics.