HELP Quitting Smoking

Options
Tomorows my quit date and Im freeking out! Just thinking about quitting makes me want to go smoke! Help! I have to do this- cold turkey. Any advice from ex smokers?

Replies

• mead
    mead Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    what i did when i quite is i though about my son and the night i quite i kept telling myself that i like to breathe more than i like to smoke and i look at my son every time i wanted to light up and thought about the things i could do for him and with. the best part what i did is put the money it would cost to buy a pack under my bed and after about 3 month i took the family on a mini vaction and it has been 2 and half years now good luck and stick with it:drinker:
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    DO NOT quit cold turkey until you have read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allan Carr. It will make your experience quitting and your success rate much better. I used it, my brother used it, and a few friends and a cousin as well. It WORKS!

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248360540&sr=8-1

If you dont believe me, look at the reviews on amazon :drinker: Good Luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I quit two months ago (after 30+ years of smoking), cold turkey. No slips.

First, I set a date like you have done. Then I told everyone! Like everybody, his brother and his second cousin. That way I'd be too embarrassed to have to tell all these people I failed :sick: .

Then, I took a couple days off work + labor day weekend. I didn't want to have to deal with my set routine and habits of smoking for those first, crucial days.

Next, I lined up a number of crutches to help, if I should need it. I had a box of patches ready (didn't need them however), I had articifial cigarettes to keep my hands busy, I bought tic tacs, hard candies and gum (although I hate gum).

The morning of my quit date, I threw out my cigarettes, case, and lighters and emptied the ashtray, then hid it. I cleaned out my car completely, emptying the ashtray, vacuuming and spraying nice deoderizor in it.

Every time I had the urge to smoke, I'd eat a tic tac or take a sip of water.

My biggest enemy was that little voice in my head that argued that I really didn't need to do this NOW, did I? Today? Just one smoke....then I could quit. Why not next week? Or next month? Or after I lost the 30 pounds?? I constantly had to talk over myself..SHUT UP! NO, I'm NOT giving in. I'm doing this NOW! I can DO this. I am stronger than this friggin dried plant! I am not a slave to my compulsions or addictions! I will feel better, I will LIVE longer. My children will get to see me grow old and I'll get to see my grandbabies! I can get off the asthma meds and start exercising without wheezing! I told myself this OVER and OVER. I announced 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and yesterday, 2 months to Facebook (so my family and friends could help hold me accountable).

It worked. I did it.

I bought a family membership to the YMCA with the money I save every month :love:

You can do it too!
  • mojomcgee
    mojomcgee Posts: 50
    Options
    When I quit I walked through each nic fit and psyched myself out that I can do this and it will pass. I'm sure I sounded crazy but those horrible feelings came and went with longer gaps in between and less powerful every day. Eventually I realized one day that I didn't crave a cigarette at all. Now I can't stand the smell of them. Be hard on yourself - slipping up is not an option (lung cancer is not an option) - but you are only human so if it happens just immediately get back on track. Never stop quitting. You can do it. Nibble on healthy snacks in between and actually I "smoked" on a straw to help with the need to suck and inhale deeply and exhale long and slow - it really did help. Good Luck!!!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Some Great avdice, thanks. My biggest hurdle will be my husband he is not ready to quit just yet and this is going to be tough, but I quit 2 times 9 months each when I was prego, so why cant I do it now? For my health and fnances I have to do this, hearing other peoples success stories is helpfull, Thanks!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Options
    When I quit I walked through each nic fit and psyched myself out that I can do this and it will pass. I'm sure I sounded crazy but those horrible feelings came and went with longer gaps in between and less powerful every day. Eventually I realized one day that I didn't crave a cigarette at all. Now I can't stand the smell of them. Be hard on yourself - slipping up is not an option (lung cancer is not an option) - but you are only human so if it happens just immediately get back on track. Never stop quitting. You can do it. Nibble on healthy snacks in between and actually I "smoked" on a straw to help with the need to suck and inhale deeply and exhale long and slow - it really did help. Good Luck!!!

So how long till the cravings were gone for you?
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options

My biggest enemy was that little voice in my head that argued that I really didn't need to do this NOW, did I? Today? Just one smoke....then I could quit. Why not next week? Or next month? Or after I lost the 30 pounds?? I constantly had to talk over myself..SHUT UP! NO, I'm NOT giving in. I'm doing this NOW! I can DO this. I am stronger than this friggin dried plant! I am not a slave to my compulsions or addictions! I will feel better, I will LIVE longer. My children will get to see me grow old and I'll get to see my grandbabies! I can get off the asthma meds and start exercising without wheezing! I told myself this OVER and OVER. I announced 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and yesterday, 2 months to Facebook (so my family and friends could help hold me accountable).

It worked. I did it.

:cry: Tears here now. I know exactly what you mean. Never heard anyone else say it like that. BUT, that's EXACTLY what it was like for me.

Now, though, I'm done see. Ain't that just GRAND?? :tongue:

And, OMG, but I can BREATHE!! :bigsmile: And, can even breathe through the "pain" of yoga & the kicks of kenpo!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    it's only been 16 days for me, but its getting easier. I work with a bunch of people who smoke and they are constantly outside smoking, when they leave i chew gum to keep the craving down, when they come back all stinky, i know why i quit....

Hardest part is your triggers, i have several friends who i have tried to stay away from because i know they will give me cigarettes. I broke down once on my 11th day and almost gave up. I only had two draggs so i gave myself a break and im still trying!

Its hard, no doubt, I come rant on this site when I feel like I need one, while popping my gum, cause the noise makes me feel better! ( and drives the smokers nuts!!)

Good LUCK! You can do it! WE CAN DO IT!!!!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    YES! Clean out the ashtray! I didnt do that the first week and i was almosted tempted enough to light a frigin refried butt! EEEeeeeeWWWWWWWWwwwwww!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Options
    YES! Clean out the ashtray! I didnt do that the first week and i was almosted tempted enough to light a frigin refried butt! EEEeeeeeWWWWWWWWwwwwww!
    [/quote
    Good idea, Ive done that before half a cig in my car ashtray!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    54 days today.
    Smoke free!
    Yay!
    Still dealing with it sometimes, but I love my child more than anything & for HER, I will walk through fire. Even, the fire on the end of that dang cig.

I tried Chantex -made me sick :sick: , so I did it cold turkey.

:smokin: My hubby smokes 1.5 packs a day. His mother (who is my NDN) smokes, his son (my step) smokes, his (my step's) girlfriend smokes, all of my friends smoke, my assistant at work smokes...I am surrounded by it.:smokin:

HOWEVER, it is do-able. It is even favorable for me...cuz I can tell them to blow it my way. However, now, it's beginning to stink! I have started having to febreeze my closet several times a week. I febreeze the baby's clothes, I febreeze the chair hubby sits in. I empty ashtrays like there's no tomorrow. Stinks! One butt in the tray causing the house to stink!

PRAY for it to STINK! :huh:

That's when you know that you are moving right along.

Make sure hubby knows that no matter how much you beg, DO NOT GIVE YOU A CIG!

I tell mine up front before I ever have a glass of wine (or 2) - if you let me smoke, I'll hurt you in the morning! :bigsmile:

And, he believes me evidently, cuz boy, there have been whine times (wine times) that I have begged. And, he would get my mind on something else.

However, those times are fewer now than ever.

I'll keep you in my prayers. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    After reading that book, I didn't want to smoke. You cravings and reasons for wanting to smoke are all physocolgical, and if you want to do it pain free, craving free, weight gain free....then its best to confront this from those emotional reasons. They are what control it all!
  • Nellie1drfl
    Options
    After reading that book, I didn't want to smoke. You cravings and reasons for wanting to smoke are all physocolgical, and if you want to do it pain free, craving free, weight gain free....then its best to confront this from those emotional reasons. They are what control it all!

I will have to check this book out! Looks like it got very good reviews on Amazon too!
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I told myself that I wanted to RUN!!! and being a smoker, it was so hard for me to run around the block but i wanted to RUN RUN!!! And I told myself that I was gonna do it for the kids, and everytime that I wanted one I would grab a game or a toy and sit down with them and play it ! it wasn't as hard FOR ME as I thought it would be FOR ME.
    So however you do it good luck! and if you fall off the horse, just know it is never too late to get back on it! Congrats on deciding to quit:bigsmile: