Getting off Cymbalta

Options
I have been taking Cymbalta (30 mg) for many years and have decided, along with my doctor, to get off of this medication. He is having me take (20 mg) daily for 2 weeks, then every other day for 1 week and stop. I've taken the 20 mg for 2 days now and feel fine. As I've said, I've been taking Cymbalta for years, and have gained a lot of weight. Even with being very careful about what I'm eating and exercising almost 7 days a week, I could only loose a couple lbs....talk about frustrating!
My hope is that I'll feel good after stopping the Cymbalta & that my body will catch on to what I'm trying to do with my diet & exercise!

Can anyone share their experience with this?!

Replies

• ChelleChelle77
    ChelleChelle77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on Cymbalta and have not yet decided to get off. However one thing I've noticed and just putting it out there. My doctor ran a test on me and it showed I was deficient in Vitamin D (the sun vitamin), I started taking over the counter Vitamin D plus calcium along with my multi vitamin. I've noticed a major improvement in my mood and patience. Might be a coiencidence but might not be. Something to ask about.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    30mg is a small dose (same as mine) and fairly easy to wean off - I felt a bit light headed once I went every other day - but only for the first few days. Same when I went off completely. After a few days of adjustment, however, I was fine. As for weight loss - although I found it difficult to loose weight while on it, I had a really hard time controlling emotional eating once off - and gained weigh - my best defence for the emotional eating has been exercise - so there are alternatives.

I also find Vitamin D as well as Omega 3's helpful.
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Getting off Cymbalta was NO FUN. I started having these freaky withdrawal symptoms and panic attacks. And I could not stop eating.

I'm curious if you are on any other medications. Wellbutrin is supposed to help with weight loss -- I lost 15 lbs in about 2 weeks the last time I took it.