sugar free & IBS love at first sight

Options
:flowerforyou: Hello all...I wanted to spread some of my new found wisdom....so this afternoon a collegue and I were chatting..I cant recall what about..but she offered me a tidbit of information..sugarfree gum has the same ingredient in it as laxatives do!!!!!!!! Ever notice after eating a stick of gum that your bowels start making obnoxious sounds..you feel bloated. you get gassy, and perhaps even have some minor diarrhea? Ever gone to the dr's office..I work at a Naturopathic clinic....and told your dr about these symptoms? Did he tell you it was something called Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Check the ingredients on your "diet" foods..if it contains a chemical called Sorbitol..you have a cure..stop consuming..and your body will heal....unless you like to be full of air that is.....I tested it out this evening....sure thing....girgly tummy, gas, and diarrhea (sorry:blushing: ). I dont usually chew gum... but I saw on Biggest Loser they are always recommending that stuff to curb your appetite....which does work for me..but then I got all the side effects too...not fun...so it all makes sense...I thought I would pass it on to help you all here in case you think something is going on with your tummy...P.S. I also know that when you start chewing gum your brain thinks that you are eating..it makes juices flow in your mouth..and even digestive juices in your tummy start to be produced...so what do you suppose happens when it realizes you arent sending it any calories? It hangs on to the ones it has...I have included an article I found while looking up information on "WHY"

.....LONDON (Reuters) - Consuming too much sorbitol, a sweetener widely used in "sugar-free" chewing gum and sweets, can cause serious bowel problems, German doctors said on Friday.

The warning follows the cases of two patients who suffered chronic diarrhea, abdominal pain and severe weight loss after ingesting large amounts of sorbitol.

Writing in the British Medical Journal, the doctors from Berlin said the patients -- a man and a woman -- had consumed some 15 to 20 sticks of chewing gum a day. When they kicked the habit, both regained normal bowel function.

Sorbitol, also known as E420, is poorly absorbed by the small intestine and is known to have laxative properties. But Dr Juergen Bauditz and colleagues of the University of Berlin said many consumers might fail to link it with their gastrointestinal problems.

End Quote...

What an ignorant way to lose weight....there is only one weigh..and its the right weigh...diet and exercise...there is a reason that gimmicks dont work...and why we are still battling...

Replies

• aahlight
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello all...I wanted to spread some of my new found wisdom....so this afternoon a collegue and I were chatting..I cant recall what about..but she offered me a tidbit of information..sugarfree gum has the same ingredient in it as laxatives do!!!!!!!! Ever notice after eating a stick of gum that your bowels start making obnoxious sounds..you feel bloated. you get gassy, and perhaps even have some minor diarrhea? Ever gone to the dr's office..I work at a Naturopathic clinic....and told your dr about these symptoms? Did he tell you it was something called Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Check the ingredients on your "diet" foods..if it contains a chemical called Sorbitol..you have a cure..stop consuming..and your body will heal....unless you like to be full of air that is.....I tested it out this evening....sure thing....girgly tummy, gas, and diarrhea (sorry:blushing: ). I dont usually chew gum... but I saw on Biggest Loser they are always recommending that stuff to curb your appetite....which does work for me..but then I got all the side effects too...not fun...so it all makes sense...I thought I would pass it on to help you all here in case you think something is going on with your tummy...P.S. I also know that when you start chewing gum your brain thinks that you are eating..it makes juices flow in your mouth..and even digestive juices in your tummy start to be produced...so what do you suppose happens when it realizes you arent sending it any calories? It hangs on to the ones it has...I have included an article I found while looking up information on "WHY"

.....LONDON (Reuters) - Consuming too much sorbitol, a sweetener widely used in "sugar-free" chewing gum and sweets, can cause serious bowel problems, German doctors said on Friday.

The warning follows the cases of two patients who suffered chronic diarrhea, abdominal pain and severe weight loss after ingesting large amounts of sorbitol.

Writing in the British Medical Journal, the doctors from Berlin said the patients -- a man and a woman -- had consumed some 15 to 20 sticks of chewing gum a day. When they kicked the habit, both regained normal bowel function.

Sorbitol, also known as E420, is poorly absorbed by the small intestine and is known to have laxative properties. But Dr Juergen Bauditz and colleagues of the University of Berlin said many consumers might fail to link it with their gastrointestinal problems.

End Quote...

What an ignorant way to lose weight....there is only one weigh..and its the right weigh...diet and exercise...there is a reason that gimmicks dont work...and why we are still battling...
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I heard about this on an episode of the show called House. I did a little research and discovered that there is truth to it.
  • catlover
    Options
    I heard about this on an episode of the show called House. I did a little research and discovered that there is truth to it.
  • alaskagal
    Options
    At the risk of embarrassing myself :blushing: and adding to much information let me just say -- AMEN! I completely agree with this. Actually even though I want to lose weight, I try to avoid all artifical sweeteners due to gastric discomfort. I'd rather have a small treat with real sugar and other real ingredients occasionally then to suffer the evils of artifical sweeteners. I very seldom eat packaged "diet" foods for this very reason.

IMHO real whole foods = better health!

:flowerforyou:
  • catlover
    Options
    At the risk of embarrassing myself :blushing: and adding to much information let me just say -- AMEN! I completely agree with this. Actually even though I want to lose weight, I try to avoid all artifical sweeteners due to gastric discomfort. I'd rather have a small treat with real sugar and other real ingredients occasionally then to suffer the evils of artifical sweeteners. I very seldom eat packaged "diet" foods for this very reason.

IMHO real whole foods = better health!

:flowerforyou:

Amen to this!!! I don't buy sugar free if it's replacement is some artificial sweetener.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Its not just gum either, I have a couple of horror stories of the results of sugar free candy. :embarassed:

I actually use this to my advantage now, when I am a bit constipated and want a treat as well. :happy:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just checked the gum I chew and it has sorbitol in it though I have never experienced any of these symtoms. I do however, only chew 1 piece a day, 2 at the max.

In that research they were chewing some 15-20 pieces a day though.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this......I have IBS and it hasn't been acting up at all lately, but I haven't been chewing gum, just kinda went off it for a year or two, but just picked up a pack last week and sure enough some minor IBS pain appeared....I think I'll just put that away for good!!! Thank you, it wasn't anything I had ever thought of, I know I have trigger foods, but never would have considered my gum to be one of them!
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    i think the key here is 'moderation' -- so much has been studied and written about the dangers of artificial sweetners, just surf the net and it'll curb your splenda cravings quick.

and for those of us with IBS, total elimination (pardon the pun) is the best way. there are so many alternatives for cooking with less sugar and fat....

while we're on the subject - there is an incredible "IBS diet" written by Heather VanVorous that focuses on insoluble fiber (much different than bran and whole grains), eliminating dairy and ALL artificial sweeteners, and reducing total fat intake. it's worked miracles for me, and i just wanted to pass it along:

the website is 'www.helpforibs.com'... it also has tons of information and strategies for managing this condition.