Considering Joining a Gym...

Options
Mishy
Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
I'm considering joining a gym again. So, I'm interested in your feed back

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love cycling (in fact I am so ticked off at the weather guy right now, I could have brought my bike to ride at lunch but he said rain all day, so far it hasn't rained since hmm 9am but I digress) and walking and exercise tapes, but I long for an elliptical some days. :laugh:

Some of the options I'm considering are:

LA Fitness
Snap 24/7
Gold's Gym
YMCA
Webb's (which is a local to my area gym)

I belonged to the YWCA a while ago, and they've since closed it. Boogercakes. I also belonged to Curves last fall but I'd like to have more workout options.

Thanks!
Mishy

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I just walk at a brisk pace for 30-45 min aday, you dontneed a gym, just as long as you are eating good and doing some moderate activity you will lose weight! :wink:
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I joined Urban Active here in Columbus as of Yesterday. As much as I enjoy getting out and walking in the neighborhood and parks or just around the city it is hard when it is really hot or raining to get out and exercise. I've also done some videos but find that they quickly get boring and I get tired of being in the house all the time.

I had said for sometime that I wasn't going to join a gym but now that I have I find that I am really looking forward to going and working out.

If it is something you can afford to do I say go for it. It will be a lot of fun and add quite a bit of variety to your workout and help in weight loss.

As far as joining a gym, go and check each one out and see what they offer, you might find that you like one more than others or that one has a special deal if you work for a specific employer.

Hey and we might all make a few new friends on the way.

Have fun and good luck.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job, a family to care for, and 2 dogs. I can't do the gym thing. Can't get there. I do elliptical at home, and will add some weight training in a few months. This works for me, but gyms just don't.

Good luck, and congratulations. I envy you.
  • FireWeaver
    Options
    I decided to join a gym because I find the routine makes me exercise. A lot of exercises I can do at home, and I have a treadmill, weights and stability ball amongst others, but at home...well, I simply do not have the same ambition. I give up easier or I find other things to do.

A gym is literally there for workouts, so of course, I work out. There's also something about working out alongside a ton of other people that makes me work out harder...to prove myself, be inspired, to be competitive, whatever I'm feeling that day.

I lead an exceptionally busy life with 10-12 hour work schedules and almost 4-6 major projects to handle once I'm home, and I still find the time to go...sometimes 20 minutes is all you need. It's better than no minutes at all when you're like "Oh...well...I can do it tomorrow at home..."

That's my opinion anyhow. Good luck! I don't know your list very well since I go to this racquet club that isn't a franchise...but I'm sure you'll come up with the right decision.

Cheers.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm considering joining a gym again. So, I'm interested in your feed back

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love cycling (in fact I am so ticked off at the weather guy right now, I could have brought my bike to ride at lunch but he said rain all day, so far it hasn't rained since hmm 9am but I digress) and walking and exercise tapes, but I long for an elliptical some days. :laugh:

Some of the options I'm considering are:

LA Fitness
    Snap 24/7
    Gold's Gym
    YMCA
    Webb's (which is a local to my area gym)

I belonged to the YWCA a while ago, and they've since closed it. Boogercakes. I also belonged to Curves last fall but I'd like to have more workout options.

Thanks!
    Mishy

Hi Mishy!

I'm not sure what feedback you're looking for. Price? Times open? Choice of machines?

I'd join whatever one is closest to me, value for money, etc etc.

Go and see each one, check out the times they're open, see if you like the set up, the people etc.

G'luck!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Everyone! I really appreciate your feedback. :flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I do most of my exercising outdoors too, but I also belong to a gym. I use it for the pool and for strength training and spin classes.

When joining a gym, you have to know what you want and how you'll use it. I joined a posh gym that cost more and the reason is that I wanted to have tons of classes to pick from and be able to swim laps whenever I wanted. My gym has a dedicated lap pool, for example, so I will never get to the gym and find an aerobics class using the pool when I want to swim laps. Plus, they have free everything in the locker room so I always like to go there.

But if you only want the gym to go to when it rains or do a bit of eliptical (or some other machine that you can't do outdoors), then a cheap gym with few amenities may be the way to go.

For the national chains, I'd avoid 24 Fitness. Once they get your money, you can't get their attention and they aren't *that* cheap. I've never used Planet Fitness, but for $10 a month, even if you can never get their attention ever again, it's probably worth it. Lots of people love the Y too.... it can be a more friendly atmosphere and you don't normally feel hussled there. It's a good value for the price.
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    I also work a full time job, have a child in daycare (alternate drop off and pickup with hubby), and 2 dogs (which is like having 2 more children for sure!) I also have a one hour round trip commute (daycare is near my work).

We joined the Y initially for the free classes they offer (kiddo is 2, almost 3 and currently in swimming, soon will also be in gymnastics), and they have a family center 10 minutes from our home and an adults only center 3 minutes from my work. Hubby and I have belonged to Bally's, PureFitness (now LA Fitness), and now the Y, and I love love love the Y, especially the adults only center. I use my lunch hour 3 days a week to walk there, do some weights or the ellitptical (almost all of their cardio machines have built in televisions so if you bring a pair of headphones, it's like a mini vacay in the middle of the day!) and get up at 4am 2 days a week to go before work on the mornings that hubby drops off kiddo at daycare. I also try to arrange a workout before kiddo's swim class on Saturday, but that is VERY hit or miss.

It sucks being so pressed for time, but once I realized that I was choosing to make my situation into an excuse, I decided to make the better choice for myself and "just do it". I rarely have a moment to just do nothing, but I do get two lunch hours a week where I get to sit back and relax with the paper. :bigsmile: I also made the choice that I was going to get at least 30 minutes of exercise EVERY day, so if I miss my morning workout on "my" days, that means my relaxing do nothing lunch goes out the window and I'm hoofing it to the Y that day also. It seems crazy, but I am more relaxed, happy, and basically a nicer person when I'm on this schedule.

Of course I'm on a 10 hour day schedule right now which makes it even more complicated (:mad: ), and I truly cannot get to the gym 2 of my normal days (only get 30 minute lunches), so I've taken to doing ab work and roundhouse kicks in the restroom at every potty break :laugh: and stepping up the workouts I can sneak them in.

As for the choice of gyms, I will say that they all have different equipment and you'll need to gauge what each one has that you are interested in and how busy they are at the times you will be going. While I adore my adult Y at lunchtime and when they first open, I DESPISE it if I have to go after work for some reason, it is SO BUSY that literally every cardio machine is being used, and they have tons (probably 50 ellipticals and 100 treadmills). I'd also look at the classes they offer and what is included with your membership fee. Some have better perks than others!

Sorry so long, but hopefully something helpful is in there for you!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom to two toddlers (19 mos apart)...
    I joined the Y because they had sitting services.
    I quit the Y because the sitting services didn't fit in my schedule.

I hit my treadmill, I hired a Personal trainer, I bought a stability ball and found a couple DVD's I really like. Then I found this site and starting the Couch to 5K program.

This fits my schedule.

You'll find your balance too.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I say go and check them out first- Not all gyms are meant for everyone.

I tried to workout at home its just not for me. I get more motivation from hitting the gym with everyone working out around me.

I am very busy but I find time to workout 60-90 minutes.

I work fulltime I have a household to run, 2 active kids, pets, and a needy husband but still go to the gym

My thing is don't pay for something if your not going to be consistent.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm like mrsyac2 in that I hate working out at home. I love the gym atmosphere.

I have 24 four fitness and I have no complaints....although my monthly cost is only $6 a month because I got it when I was like 14 years old. :wink: I know my way around the gym and feel comfortable there so I don't really need all that much attention.

Some of the gyms offer free weeks so maybe you can go around and check out a week at each of them and then decide which one fits your needs the best.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6, quick outside break for dogs.
    1/2 hour on the elliptical, now it's 6:45
    Shower, 7:00
    Feed dogs, get dressed, eat breakfast while walking dogs, get dogs in Kennels, leave for work @ 7:45.
    commute.
    Work 8:30-5:00pm
    Home @ 5:45. Kids probably already have dogs out and cared for, but I can't rely on it. Care for dogs. Start supper.
    6:00, wife arrives home from work.
    6:30-7:00ish eat supper, talky time.
    7-10, hang out, housework, a little TV, downtime.
    10+ - snuggle time, bed, sleep, get ready to do it again.

2 days a week I add in a stop @ the tanning salon to baste her highness prior to roasting. She can't reach her back, and I get to perv a little.

We are planning a little remodel - fencing a section of the yard and adding a puppy door. I hate to have my hairy pals spending so much time in the kennel, but no choices right now. I can't gym out before or after work 'cause that would add kennel time - unless I come home, care for dogs, and then go back out to gym.

Just tough tough, not enough hours in the day. If you can get to the gym then more power to you. I just can't.

((Here's the really funny part - I don't really like dogs. I'm a cat lover. We wound up with 2 rescues, and I love them, but this wasn't something I really planned to do. <9 y.o. male basset, 5 month old female Shih-tzu>.))
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym. We were looking at changing to one that had a swimming pool but looked into the following factors.
    Price - watch out for card fees, start up fees or whatever they want to call them
    Distance from home - how far do you have to go to work out
    Ammenities - do they have the things you want? a pool, the right workout equipment etc.
    Do they charge extra for classes?
    Do their hours work with your life?
    Do they have trainers that you can work with?
    Do they offer a free orientation training to a new member?

You need to assess all of these to find out what gym is for you. I was watching a show on TV called Xweighted, where people lose weight over a 6 month period and they really bad mouthed Curves for the lack of variety and actual hard work out. I have never been myself so I don't know.

We ended up staying with the gym we are with and I pay extra to swim at the city pool when I want to do lane swimming.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I just walk at a brisk pace for 30-45 min aday, you dontneed a gym, just as long as you are eating good and doing some moderate activity you will lose weight! :wink:

you will lose weight but you will also lose your muscles

your muscles are what burns the fat

Weight training AND cardio are very important, but the most important thing is eating right.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump for later:smile:
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Have you tried looking in to 24 hour fitness. They have alot of classes that they offer and they do have free weights, the weight machines, the Epi, stairmaster, tredmill, bikes, and alot more. Plus I know when I joined 24 hour fitness I didn't have to sign a contract and you just pay month to month. I know alot of the gyms you will have to sign a contrat.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I was watching a show on TV called Xweighted, where people lose weight over a 6 month period and they really bad mouthed Curves for the lack of variety and actual hard work out. I have never been myself so I don't know.
    Oh I forgot about Curves. I've done that. I think it's okay for someone starting out but eventually you will outgrow it. The routines can be hard if you work them hard but only up to a point. And it can get boring after a while, too.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options

(in fact I am so ticked off at the weather guy right now, I could have brought my bike to ride at lunch but he said rain all day,

First where in the hell do all you people live, where it rains in July! Second, I love 24 hour fitness because i can go whenever i feel like it and there are tons of things to do, there is a lap pool and hot tubs, sauna and baketball court, not to mention tons of equipment.....my advice: Join a gym thats open 24 hours 7 days a week and trust me there are no excuses why you cant go!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    We have had an incredibly rainy and cool July in Toronto this year. It feels like April or May
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

2 days a week I add in a stop @ the tanning salon to baste her highness prior to roasting. She can't reach her back, and I get to perv a little.

Bwwaaa Haaaa Haaaa.... I always make DH lotion my back before I go tanning too! But 75% of the time, that's at home. Luckily, I only work 2 days a week, so I can pretty much go tan when I feel like it.