For a french fry addict like myself!

Options
I have to admit, I was SUPER skeptical when my friend passed along this hungry-girl.com recipe but now that I've tried it I AM TELLING EVERYONE!!! They are SO GOOD! It has a tiny bit of a sweet taste so I would say they taste a bit more like sweet potato fries than regular fries but WHATEVER at 65 calories per serving I'm ALL ABOUT IT!!! One thing I must say though is you have to watch these little suckers like a hawk because they seem to go from not cooked to burnt in the blink of an eye lol.

Ingredients:
1/2 butternut squash
kosher salt

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. If you're unfamiliar with handling them, you may have a little trouble at first. They're fairly easy to peel, but you'll need a sharp knife to cut them. Once your orange friend is peeled and seed-free, slice it in half. Then cut it up into french fry shapes. We like to use a crinkle cutter to make authentic looking crinkle cut fries, but they'll work any way you slice 'em. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works, too, but we prefer kosher). Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. Serve with ketchup, or however else you enjoy fries or sweet potato fries!

Replies

• sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Ahh...probably should have put that in the RECIPES section. SORRY!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You can copy and paste and start a new one in recipes if you want :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You could also try these :)

Edit: Uhhhh, and by oven, I definitely mean microwave.

Oh my goodness gracious me.
    These are amazing. These have forever changed my life.
    Potato chips. In the microwave. WITH NO OIL.
    Yeah, you heard me.

This recipe is graciously borrowed from http://www.parenthacks.com/2012/04/microwave-potato-chips.html

Mine looked exactly like the picture, no joke. And I find a way to mess up the simplest of things.

So, how to you make these wonderful, delicious chips?
    All you need is a scrubbed russet potato, seasonings of your choice, parchment paper, and a mandolin (unless you're a ninja in the kitchen).
    So, you thinly slice the potatoes (work in batches, you'll figure this out pretty quickly).
    Next, arrange the slices in a single layer on a piece of parchment paper that will fit on the glass tray of your microwave.
    Then, season, and cook until golden brown. It ended up being about 4 minutes or so in my microwave, but WATCH YOUR CHIPS CAREFULLY. If you overdo it, bad things happen. I may have had one burst into flames. No, I am not joking.
    Let them cool for a minute, if you can, then eat them all.

Enjoy!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Def an addict haha
  • 4rgl
    4rgl Posts: 106
    Options
    When I read the title I thought you were going to ask for french fry alternatives and I was going to suggest butternut squash cut like fries and baked/ broiled... but that's exactly what you said lol
  • firefly3389
    firefly3389 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BLNKSN
    BLNKSN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump