Wrist issues with cleans

Options
victoria4321
victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
Every time I do cleans, I have a little twinge on the top of my right wrist. After a bunch of them it eventually starts to hurt while I do them, but goes away right after. I used to have to same problem with push ups, but not any more.

So for my question. Is this just a flexibility issue that gets better with time or am I doomed for life? I tried it today with a wrist strap and that made things much better. I don't want to have to depend on wrapping my wrists forever though.

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Don't know, but I'm wondering if 'reverse wrist curls' could strengthen them for you.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Don't know, but I'm wondering if 'reverse wrist curls' could strengthen them for you.

This.

Also...as a woman (particularly of your petite stature)...grip strength will someday be an issue, almost invariably.

Something to think about...as the straps will alleviate that.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe there's still hope. I'm going to try the wrists curls for a while and see if that helps. I was secretly hoping it wasn't because I had dinky little wrists :sad:
  • brons2
    brons2 Posts: 6
    Options
    Athletic tape can help with this. I haven't done a clean since I quit playing football, but that always helped me back in the day. I taped my wrists for cleans and bench press.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Cleans and push-ups put your wrists in weak positions. So that could be why those two exercises cause you pain. I hope the wrist curls will solve your issue.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Wrist wraps. If you have smaller wrists, once you start getting to heavier weights, they become a necessity. Having injured my wrists twice now, both times ruining my workouts for ~6 months, I will never lift without them again.

For what it's worth: be careful with wrist curls, as those can exacerbate wrist problems if you go too heavy (don't do them to failure, and I'd recommend 10-15 RM... don't have scientific backing for that, but did wrist curls for years). Also, don't do upright rows... there is no way to do them in a way that won't start to damage your wrists at heavier weights. I actually found that stopping wrist curls and upright rows and starting to use the captains of crush grip trainers resolved my wrist issues.