After party- what to do?

Options
So I went crazy with food at a family get together tonight.

I have my diary open.

What do I do to recover my week?

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    holy ****!
    get back to your normal routine pronto. this high cal night wont kill ya, but nights like that should be few and far between IMO.
    take a big poop tomorrow, hit the gym, and eat sensibly. :happy:

did you have a good time?
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Yeah, a good time for sure! :laugh:
    I am not too worried, I already lost 11 lbs- so I know I CAN do it- but I wanna know if I could run a higher deficit for a while like -1200- 1500?
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I will save the scientific replies for the people who know what they are talking about.

From personal experience, though, I've noticed that my weight does not change noticeably from a single high calorie day. Good luck. :)
  • iRebel
    Options
    Bump?

If I put myself on extra restriction+ extra time working out can I still save this week? I already ate tomorrows calories, so the logical thing to do would be... *gasp*

Ask random ppl online what to do.
  • skullshank
    Options
    it may give your loss another jumpstart, but really, it was one night...it won't set you back too far, if at all.
    just forget you enjoyed it and get back to brass tacks lol :wink:

if i go over, i tend to hit the gym harder and pay even closer attention for the next couple days.

the fact that you know you CAN do it is half the battle.
    prove it to yourself again. :happy:
  • iRebel
    Options
    thanks, uh, jesusfknchrist.
    Good to know!
  • iRebel
    Options
    Thanks skullshank! :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can run a higher deficit for a few days if you want, but honestly it won't make that big of a difference. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on. 2600 calories is a lot, but it's not the end of the world. Lots of people do that absentmindedly at restaurants all the time. Just stay off the scale for a few days and try not to let it happen with any regularity.

**I'm saying this assuming this is a one-off and you're not a binge eater regularly.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    You can zig zag it out as well...but I agree one massive day isn't going to do a lot.

If you choose to zig zag...you can do it two ways...simply don't eat until dinner tomorrow, then eat sensibly for that meal...and your regular diet for the rest of the week. Or subtract your calories used today from your 7 day total, divide the difference by 6, and whatever that number is, alternate between eating 10% more one day, 10% less the next. Resume normal eating after the period is over.

Either way works, I'd personally not eat until dinner the next day (but this is my normal eating style anyhow)...and if I couldn't do that, I would just ignore that it happened and carry on. The zig zagging is more complicated than I make my diet lol.
  • davidshutter
    davidshutter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's little point in trying to starve it out of you, all that you'll do is make yourself unhappy. Just get back on the horse, get back to what you were doing before and forget about it.
    Yes, that was a big blow-out, but you're not going to just convert it all into extra weight and pile it all back on, because you've not been starving yourself prior to it, nor are you in ketosis.
    Think bigger than one night - Maybe go for a long walk today? If you set yourself a goal of staying the same this week, instead of losing a pound or two, then you might be pleasantly surprised by the time you weigh-in?

I put 4lb on over a mad weekend a couple of weeks ago, but it came off quite quickly by just getting back to normal straight away.
    You wont lose weight by worrying about it! If you did, we'd all be a size 0!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Good to know!

It's jesusfknchris. That "t" makes it blasphemous, be careful.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    There's little point in trying to starve it out of you, all that you'll do is make yourself unhappy.

Please clarify?
  • skullshank
    Options
    Good to know!

:devil: well played
  • iRebel
    Options
    You can run a higher deficit for a few days if you want, but honestly it won't make that big of a difference. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on. 2600 calories is a lot, but it's not the end of the world. Lots of people do that absentmindedly at restaurants all the time. Just stay off the scale for a few days and try not to let it happen with any regularity.

**I'm saying this assuming this is a one-off and you're not a binge eater regularly.

No, I'm not a binge eater- this is the first time in 60 days I've done something like this. I love, LOVE my diet: 1500 calories to spend just how I want. You lose Atkins! so I don't usually overeate like this.
  • iRebel
    Options
    Good to know!

Ah, I beg your pardon- I should not have assumed the worst. :noway:
  • iRebel
    Options
    You can zig zag it out as well...but I agree one massive day isn't going to do a lot.

If you choose to zig zag...you can do it two ways...simply don't eat until dinner tomorrow, then eat sensibly for that meal...and your regular diet for the rest of the week. Or subtract your calories used today from your 7 day total, divide the difference by 6, and whatever that number is, alternate between eating 10% more one day, 10% less the next. Resume normal eating after the period is over.

Either way works, I'd personally not eat until dinner the next day (but this is my normal eating style anyhow)...and if I couldn't do that, I would just ignore that it happened and carry on. The zig zagging is more complicated than I make my diet lol.

I'll do that if I can still run and lift weights on an empty somach- Oh yeah, I fogot to log my workout!
  • davidshutter
    davidshutter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's little point in trying to starve it out of you, all that you'll do is make yourself unhappy.

Please clarify?
    Those of us here who are trying to lose weight are already deliberately restricting our intakes - which is (clearly) not an easy thing to do (and for me, especially difficult on a weekend).
    It would be better to create that deficit through an extra 20-30 mins workout than through limiting what you eat even farther.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    huh... I thought they banned Jolt cola. whoodathunk. :tongue:
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I'll do that if I can still run and lift weights on an empty somach- Oh yeah, I fogot to log my workout!

My main days I eat just dinner are my lifting days. I love it, the energy and the strength are much better. The other days I eat at TDEE/maintenance. Works out to a healthy average deficit, but I get the health benifits and hormonal response of the fasted days, magnified by the same benifits from lifting.

Pretty awesome stuff.

It can make you shaky if you're not used to it though (it never did me). Something to be aware of.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You can lift weights on an empty stomach, and some people run on an empty stomach- but I would not recommend running without fuel if you don't know how your body will respond to it. I would either save the running until after you've eaten again or bring a snack of some kind with you in case you get hypoglycemic from it.