Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Higher Calories, I'm giving it another week

2»

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    I think you could cut down on your protein shakes, like have 2 instead of 4/day as I don't think you need that much. But, I'm no expert and I don't believe too much protein makes you gain weight.

Last night we got home late and it was so hot I didn't want to cook anything and we didn't have any decent cereal, (excuses, excuses...lol), so I just made up the greek yogurt for supper.

I guess it may look that way on some other days also.......usually I split one shake into to meals, but I do have protein powder with my greek yogurt (makes it taste better for one). As I do a lot of bending over and squatting down, for my work, I have a tendency to get heartburn so I eat several times a day instead of just the three. It is my understanding that the body uses Carbs and Fat for fuel before it uses protein, I upped my protein intake and lowered my carbs in hopes that I may get somewhere. If I'm wrong on that I'm sure someone will let me know.

And yes, too much protein gets stored as fat, but only if you are over your calorie intake as well (read this somewhere)
  • Newtylee
    Newtylee Posts: 7
    I think you could cut down on your protein shakes, like have 2 instead of 4/day as I don't think you need that much. But, I'm no expert and I don't believe too much protein makes you gain weight.

Last night we got home late and it was so hot I didn't want to cook anything and we didn't have any decent cereal, (excuses, excuses...lol), so I just made up the greek yogurt for supper.

I guess it may look that way on some other days also.......usually I split one shake into to meals, but I do have protein powder with my greek yogurt (makes it taste better for one). As I do a lot of bending over and squatting down, for my work, I have a tendency to get heartburn so I eat several times a day instead of just the three. It is my understanding that the body uses Carbs and Fat for fuel before it uses protein, I upped my protein intake and lowered my carbs in hopes that I may get somewhere. If I'm wrong on that I'm sure someone will let me know.

And yes, too much protein gets stored as fat, but only if you are over your calorie intake as well (read this somewhere)

I do hope more people comment on the protein intake, and those shakes are expensive to. I read somewhere on Livestrong that if you are lifting serious weights that you may take about 3 a day and if you do take too much, it just passes through your body if not used up. Also read about it taxing the kidneys and liver if you're taking too much protein. I actually just stopped taking whey protein although I am lifting heavy. Seeing if it makes any difference and I don't think it does. Finally, I did notice that you don't get a lot of protein from other sources, but it just seemed like it was way too high. My protein is set at 97, but I think that is too low for me, so I go well over 100, but then again I am 230lbs and lift a lot.
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    I lose about a pound a week. I'm 5'5'', SW 212.5, goal wt. 129 ish. MFP has me at 1450 calories, my BMR 1509. All I've changed are my portions, and I'm trying to incorporate more fresh vegetables and fruits. I've also cut back on sugar, and junk food. I'm usually eating somewhere between 1450-1800 calories. I walk on a treadmill 4x a week, for 30 minutes. Sometimes I eat back my calories, if I'm still hungry. Feel free to look at my diary, although this week was my TOM, so I was all over the place. Still lost a pound, though. :)) Do you like the supplements? They seem to be a big part of your food diary.

Good luck, it is very frustrating.
  • marm1962

I do hope more people comment on the protein intake, and those shakes are expensive to. I read somewhere on Livestrong that if you are lifting serious weights that you may take about 3 a day and if you do take too much, it just passes through your body if not used up. Also read about it taxing the kidneys and liver if you're taking too much protein. I actually just stopped taking whey protein although I am lifting heavy. Seeing if it makes any difference and I don't think it does. Finally, I did notice that you don't get a lot of protein from other sources, but it just seemed like it was way too high. My protein is set at 97, but I think that is too low for me, so I go well over 100, but then again I am 230lbs and lift a lot.

I buy the big tub of whey protein powder from Walmart, $14.98 and mix it either with nonfat milk or nonfat plain greek yogurt, tried to mix it with water but it didn't taste as good. I get some of my protein from Dairy, and I usually have chicken or some kind of meat for dinner, I would eat chicken and fish all the time, but my husband needs to mix it up or he gets burned out. I've also discovered that if I have a higher intake of protein that I don't have a lot of pain. I was constantly hurting all the time and it was a killer to climb stairs. I had read/heard somewhere that women lose 1% of their muscle mass for every year over the age of 40 and and needed more protein. I don't know if that is true or not, but I don't hurt half as much now as I used to.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    It takes me a week to lose 6-8lbs worth of water weight, it really is water weight... because if it was fat, it would take a hell of a lot longer to burn off 6-8 lbs than one week :)

Keep it up and you will see results, you sound like you are just expecting yourself to fail :( Your set calories are similar to mine, just make sure they are from healthy, whole foods and not things loaded with sodium or you will retain water and the scale will reflect it, which generally causes de-motivation.

If you have already lost on the higher calories I would be sure that if you keep it up you will continue to lose. Maybe avoid the scale for a month and surprise yourself when you do weigh-in.

Thanks, not really expecting myself to fail, just a bit frustrated. I'm glad to hear someone else has problem losing the water weight.....I knew it wasn't fat, I also try to avoid higher sodium items, but they sneak it up on you.

I cannot avoid the scale as I have to monitor my water weight from night to morning. I was gaining up to 10 lbs in one day (have not done that in a long time), and my doctor told me that as long as it was gone by morning we didn't have a problem. Heart disease runs in the family. However, I only log my weight on Monday mornings and I go from there and ignore the little gains and losses during the week.

I have a body fat scale that tells me my water % and muscle %. It was cheap, like 20$. Not too accurate on the body fat front but it at least tells me if I am carrying extra water or extra muscle (which it shows after I do something stupid like workout and am so sore, likely the extra water retention there.) Since you can't avoid the scale, what about getting a scale that is a bit more informative? I feel a LOT better when I'm all bloaty known that it's just water weight and it's only temporary.
  • marm1962
    I lose about a pound a week. I'm 5'5'', SW 212.5, goal wt. 129 ish. MFP has me at 1450 calories, my BMR 1509. All I've changed are my portions, and I'm trying to incorporate more fresh vegetables and fruits. I've also cut back on sugar, and junk food. I'm usually eating somewhere between 1450-1800 calories. I walk on a treadmill 4x a week, for 30 minutes. Sometimes I eat back my calories, if I'm still hungry. Feel free to look at my diary, although this week was my TOM, so I was all over the place. Still lost a pound, though. :)) Do you like the supplements? They seem to be a big part of your food diary.

Good luck, it is very frustrating.

Something I'm taking is allowing me to drink the milk without having lactose intolerance symptoms, and I'm more alert and less forgetful than before. The polynicotinate has cut my cravings for sweets way down. About 6 years ago I stopped drinking sugar in my coffee and about 5 years ago I developed a raging sweet tooth, never cared much about cake and cookies (ice cream was my thing), but then I got so I literally couldn't stop with one piece of cake, it it was there.....I was eating it. Now I can look at it and not want to eat it all....lol. I will give up the calcium supplement once this bag is gone, since I now get enough in my diet. I will still keep the other 3 though.

BTW: I am not lactose intolerant, I'm not sure what it is. Usually if I drink a glass of pasteurized milk I will bloat up and look like I'm 9 month pregnant, my husband has seen this happen, and of course I get all the other nice things to go with that. However, if I go get some farm fresh unpasteurized milk and drink a glass I get very little gas, no bloating or anything else. I can eat ice cream, cheese, cottage cheese and get no symptoms what-so-ever.