What do you eat before a race?

Options
Next Saturday (6/2) will be my first morning 5k race and I'm kinda worried about what I should eat and when. I have hypoglycemia so I have to eat so that I don't pass out but I don't want anything heavy because I don't want to puke. Suggestions? The race is at 8 AM and the race site is only a 45 minute drive so I figured if I ate at home at least an hour or hour and a half before the race I should be good. I'm a little neurotic in that I like to have the little details worked out so that I'm not having a panic attack as I'm heading to the event. So humor me, will you? :)

Replies

• kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Very interested to see the answers for this too, as I'm running my 1st 5K in 3 weeks.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm not a skilled runner, but I've herd people say its good to "carb load" for a run. Which I guess means to eat plenty of carbs for energy I think.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Don't try anything new before the race. I usually have a carb heavy meal 12 hours before the race and then eat something balanced protein/starchy carb 1.5-2 hours before race time (chicken and sweet potato, scrambled eggs and fruit, etc)

and i get you about the details :) Don't worry too much. eat something you know your body will work well with and supply you with good energy. have a good balanced meal after your race too so that your body can refuel/repair itself. hydrate lots!
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    from what i have been told, and what i experienced today, it works best to eat whatever you would normally eat before you run. just because it is an event doesnt mean you need to eat anything special. if you have been training for the run, eat the same thing you do before any training run.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a Snickers bar before my 5K races. It gives me plenty of energy to make it through the race (and be competitive!), and it doesn't sit in my stomach. And you burn off the calories by the time you finish. I swear by the Snickers!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat anything special for a 5K. You don't need to carb-load for it either. Just eat normally (of don't if you don't eat breakfast). Just don't eat within 60-90 minutes of the race or you may feel the breakfast in your belly, or have to deal with an insulin spike.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before, don't try something "new" right before a race, you might end up regretting it!

I've had whole wheat english muffin with a schmeer of peanut butter. I've also had a banana, although that felt "heavy" to me.

The best thing I've had after a race was a small Nut Roll, I don't know why but man that made me feel like a million bucks!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k race this morning! :bigsmile: I ate my usual pre-run breakfast of oatmeal with 1/4 c greek yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries (or strawberries or banana), a handful of walnuts and a drizzle of honey. I ate at 6:30, race was at 8:25 and it was just right. I also had 24oz of water and a little coffee before I left the house. Worked out perfectly - I used the bathroom once before the race and had no issues at all.

Good luck on your first race!
  • PineappleMartini
    PineappleMartini Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I figured I didn't need to carb load since a 5k really isn't going to require too much of me. It sounds like I should just stick with my yogurt with fruit and have my caffeine and water like I do normally. Y'all are awesome!
  • delta90017
    delta90017 Posts: 64
    Options
    It's only 30 minutes of running at a 12 minute pace. You don't need to eat anything unless you are hungry.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would have a more carb heavy dinner to use as a little bit of an extra kick the next morning and in the morning I'd have something with an energy kick again - like a banana and a glass of orange juice! I am not sure if that's the right thing to do, but I also have to eat in the morning or at least have something before exercise or else I have no energy and do not work anywhere near as hard as what I'd like & I feel really sick.

Good luck.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would have a more carb heavy dinner to use as a little bit of an extra kick the next morning and in the morning I'd have something with an energy kick again - like a banana and a glass of orange juice! I am not sure if that's the right thing to do, but I also have to eat in the morning or at least have something before exercise or else I have no energy and do not work anywhere near as hard as what I'd like & I feel really sick.

Good luck.
  • eodtech89d
    eodtech89d Posts: 32
    Options
    I carb it up like carbs are going out of style and that's just my preference. Everyone's body is different so, just like some diets work well for some and not others. If you try taking lots of carbs before the race and it doesn't work then it's still a success because now you know what doesn't work for the next race that you do. This is going to make me sound like an alcoholic, but I also have two beers before my race regardless if the race starts early or not, I also do this right before starting the run on my Army PT test run, and it's worked like a champ. Again just my two cent's. The best person to offer advice is your own body. Either way good luck on your race.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I usually have toast or an English muffin with peanut butter and a coffee before a race.
    I did that today, but felt a bit nauseous for the first time - probably because I don't have enough sleep last night.

I'd agree that you should eat just the same as usual - race day is not the day to try something new.

On regular workout days I usually have a coffee and some fruit before I run, or nothing at all if I'm only running for half an hour or so.
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    im running a 7 mile stretch of the Vermont City Marathon this morning. just had a dry mini bagel and i will have another on the way. i had some extra carbs last night so i should be good to go!!:smile:
  • travellernikki
    travellernikki Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Eat a high carb dinner the night before (rice, pasta, etc.). Then on the morning of the run drink lots of water (make sure you have a bathroom break just before the race though) and eat a banana or some whole wheat toast with light spread.

Also, have a protein bar or granola bar ready for a post race snack just after you finish.

Good luck!! Have fun!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    a bagel, or powerbar/clif bar or goo packs.