Are you a visual artist too????

Options
Hey -- I'm a midget artist (4'11, drawing/painting) and would LOVE some support from fellow creative types. Since gaining weight my motivation to make art has dissipated (it must be lodged until a skin fold or something), so I would LOVE some friends who are creative and on the weight loss journey. Just to "talk shop" about two common topics would be heavenly.

Replies

• PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No artists? Really? Photographers? Painters? Potters?
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I wish I were. I used to be creative. I loved to paint. But somewhere along the line dry practicality seems to have beaten my imagination and creativity into hiding. I wish they would come back out and play. What do you work on?
  • Merrilies
    Merrilies Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I need to ask something as your post is a bit ambiguous - are you a small person who does art, or an ordinary sized person who paints small people? Can't use the M word you used, as in the UK it's not politically correct and is a derogatory term.

I make greetings cards and am a quilling artist - they are my hobbies - my job is a writer so I guess I can be classed as arty :)
  • clarebigbelly
    clarebigbelly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nice to see this post, I am an artist www.clareadams.co.uk and videoographer www.loveseen.co.uk and a fatty! lol sure be nice ot be your MFP pal and get our creative bodies back on track! :smile:
  • PulchritudinousLady
    Options
    I use charcoal -- I love drawing! I think that creativity never goes under wraps. If you are creative, you are creative. Look around you or at your clothing. I bet your practicality is just the idea that "form follows function."

That's a bummer that midget is a politically incorrect word -- as someone with lower than average height I can't conceive of the word as derogatory.
  • rejie1
    rejie1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My creativity comes from crocheting and when I cook. To me cooking is NOT just making something taste good, but visual also. And now that I am trying to lose what I have gained it is more important to have a shock to the tastebuds but to look inticing also. So your brain enjoys the way you are eating and it becomes trained to it.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I was a photography major in college... until I had a professor squelch my passion for it. Jerk! :grumble: Now it's just an occasional hobby. I love to scrapbook. I drew a lot in high school, but not so much anymore. I think my artistic side comes thru in my home decor now. Organizing, decorating... I'm really good with spacial visualizing. I wish I had more time/talent. Maybe then I'd reignite my passion for it.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself an artist, but creative as all heck!!

I crochet, embroider, repurpose thrift store items, sew, cross stitch, paint but in a more crafty sense, I like to sketch sometimes but not that often.

Feel free to add me if you like :bigsmile:
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm a photographer/sketcher/writer...I do a lot of bbw art (my sister and I are both bigger), I'd love to be able to do more high fashion type of photography, but I'm limited on money and available props and such. Other than that I'm trying to get a comic underway, but am finding little to no motivation to actually do anything (hence the reason I never went to school for any type of art...I didnt want to take away my passion by making it a job). I also write...I've been trying to write a story...but cant seem to get my words onto paper. ^^;; I'm so bad with procrastination...
  • PulchritudinousLady
    Options
    I love the variety of media you guys represent! I truly appreciate "domestic craft" (as the snooty artists call it) -- I've been embroidering for a while now. I usually do weird crap but it's MY weird crap and I find it beautiful. :)

It's odd though; I can't decorate my house to save my life (so I wish I could borrow you wdwghettogirl!. In fact, my walls are largely bare. I usually give myself one colored wall or two and then stick with tchotchkes on my mismatched shelving units.

I write too -- I think that most visual people are naturally attracted to the written word (although not all!). My writing is mainly selfish.

Rejl1 -- Cooking IS an art. That's when you really cook, no? Maybe this is why my hips are too wide....

Hmmm...we should make a group as a show-and-tell. Maybe we could focus on healthy fitness and diet (i.e. healthy lifestyle) ??? Sexycheesemon, your work could be our "poster" work.
  • PulchritudinousLady
    Options
    Hmmm...we should make a group as a show-and-tell. Maybe we could focus on healthy fitness and diet (i.e. healthy lifestyle) ??? Sexycheesemon, your work could be our "poster" work.

No need to make one -- found an existing group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/291-artists-unite
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm a bladesmith, writer, sometime graphic artist...and I used (years ago!) to draw/paint pretty often. Welcome to MFP :).
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm very creative. I web design, draw, crochet, a bit of photography, Cooking is a major strong point, I write poetry and short stories, sing, write music here and there, I dab a little in sewing I just don't like to do it, if I want to learn something I just learn it, I make hair bows, Makeup is a strong point, I've been told by number of people I should be a makeup artiest. My grand parents use to own a wallpaper store and I use to help, I was 13 and was told by interior decorators I had an eye for it. I, for the longest time had my heart set on interior decorating. Then I wanted to be a chef, now I'm thinking about nutrition lol.
  • sarar_smiles
    Options
    I do quite a bit of painting/digital artwork, although I don't really consider any of my work very good as of yet. XD Ah well, still improving. :D
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Photographer, cinematographer, and writer here! Also, I love to play around with all types of other art like graphic design, jewelry, paints, etc. Feel free to add me fellow artists!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i'm short, too (5'1" ish) and i just started to get back into drawing.. i am by NO means good at it, but i'm trying!
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Im an artist :) i do charcoal, pastel, watercolor though its been a long time since ive actally drawn anything using the traditional method. Most of the things i do now are digital and i do photography.

Ill add you up :) Cheers
  • kbarnick
    kbarnick Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm an artsy type. I mainly do photography and other more multi-media 'crafty' arts. i used to draw more. I too have not been as artistically active. I don't blame this so much on weight gain, but on myself not making it a priority. (I guess I can say the same with dieting and exercise!)
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm a photo major at ohio state, graduating in the fall....feel free to add me :}
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm a self-employed graphic designer and writer/editor. I don't paint, but I do amuse myself with drawing from time to time. And have been a dabbler in photography forever.

Love enjoying the creativity of others.