THE PROTEIN SHAKE DIET????

Now I know this it is meant to be a 'lifestyle' and long term thing. But I have 4 weeks until my holiday and honestly want a kick start to lose a bit beforehand! I figured 5 days won't have a huge affect on my health and I think it's the healthiest sort of 'juice diet' as it has protein and veg.

I'm thinking of doing a 'protein shake diet' which would consist of protein powder and veg like spinach in a blender, have 4 a day for 5 days. Then after the 5 days introduce healthy meals slowly.

The reason I want to do this is as I've had extremely bad past month with eating and think this kick start may motivate me and help me rid sugar cravings!

Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Eww. Let me know how it turns out.
  • mymission92
    mymission92 Posts: 97
    I actually find the nice, I usually mix one with spinach of a morning so thought I'd try it.
    I will let you know how it goes LOL
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    For myself I'm not satisfied with drinking my food.

Keep that in mind, and best of luck.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    I don't think that protein shakes should be used as a diet. I drink 4 of them a day, and eat too lol. I use them to get quick cheap(not money cheap because it's expensive, I meant calorie cheap lol) protein in. I would not recommend using them as your primary means of food for any period of time. But, that's just my opinion.
  • mymission92
    Yes, I get what you're saying. But it would only be for 5 days, then I would add in healthy meals and eventually use them just for after training.
    I think it would help me more mentally, if anything, for now. I guess it could be my experiement. I wouldn't do it for a long period of time.
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    why don't you look into something like South Beach Diet... the first two weeks are pretty strict but you get to eat decent foods and can drop 8-15 pounds. Then you slowly add good carbs back in. I've lost nine pounds and still have 5 more days of phase 1. I get to eat AND lose weight... Win Win!!
  • mymission92
    I havent looked into that actually.
    What foods are allowed in the first part of the SB diet?
    Also, do you think it will help me sugar cravings?
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    if you really want to do a liquid diet, here are some suggestions. first off don't even try to give up solid food entirely, eat at least one solid mean, if nothing else have some soup. don't limit yourself to shakes consider all the food groups. when I go on a liquid diet, something I absolutely have to do periodically do to a gi disorder. I start my day with a smoothie of yogurt, frozen fruit mix, molasis for iron, and orange juice. for lunch I'll have a small meal, a hard cooked egg and slice of bread, or an ensure, just something to avoid hunger pain. I'll also have three bottles one fruit juice, one v8 juice, and one water. for dinner I'll have a slice of bread and a bowl of soup, my most substantial meal. keep in mind though the idea with this diet is to get as many calories as possible with as little solid food as possible. I will say that when I do a purge like this, 7 days every 6 months, I'll loose about 5 pounds of body mass, and about 5 pounds of buildup.
  • Just to let you know, I lost 7pound in a week on this, I had 2 shakes and ate a healthy meal a day. Suprisingly I enjoyed having the shakes!
  • MissZoe87
    MissZoe87 Posts: 1
    Thanks for sharing as I am in the same boat, 4 weeks out from a holiday and wanting to drop weight quickly and was thinking of doing shakes made with whey and frozen green vege for a week. Were the healthy meals that you ate also low carb?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Dr Eades has a "6 weeks to lose the middle age belly" book which starts with 2 weeks on a "4 shakes and a meal" diet plan.

www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weight-loss/the-6-week-cure-or-how-i-changed-my-mind-about-rapid-weight-loss/
  • Thanks for the link :)

Yes the meals I ate were low carb, usually chicken and veg or fish and veg.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Just to let you know, I lost 7pound in a week on this, I had 2 shakes and ate a healthy meal a day. Suprisingly I enjoyed having the shakes!

Rusty Moore does the same. It's only meant short-term:
    http://independent.academia.edu/RustyMoore/Blog/17080/Rapid-Fat-Loss-Diet-Plan---My-2-Shakes-and-Chicken-Salad-Diet
  • Yes, I done this diet as an expeirment. I would NEVER reccommend it as you put it back on as soon as you begin to eat a normal diet. Also the lack of energy I had was ridiculous, I barely spoke to anyone for the 7 days and luckily I wasn't working.
  • Also to add, unless you have a strong mental attitude towards dieting then do not try this. It messed me up mentally so bad!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    I think you'll just end up hungry and moody, with even more cravings because you will actually want to eat food. It won't hurt your health, short term, but things like this usually end in binges and gaining back weight for most people.

Edit: Wow, didn't see how old the original post was, should have read through more! Haven't slept yet. :tongue:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Yes, lots of people have - people like Oprah Winfrey - yippie! Oprah!:drinker:
    But, like FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-Oprah, they fail miserably.
    And so too will you.
    These goofy fad diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great, you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Here's a great group right here on MFP:
    Eat More To Lose Less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Join up and connect with other for support.
    Good Luck
  • Yes, lots of people have - people like Oprah Winfrey - yippie! Oprah!:drinker:
    But, like FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-FAT_THIN-Oprah, they fail miserably.
    And so too will you.
    These goofy fad diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great, you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Here's a great group right here on MFP:
    Eat More To Lose Less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Join up and connect with other for support.
    Good Luck

Yes. I realise now this doesn't work and is just a fad, I wish I never tried it but I did (silly worrying about my holiday) I've joined that group and i'm working on eating more to lose. I can never seem to get over 1100 when eating clean! I'm definitley taking the slow approach now.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Bad idea. Protein shakes are a supplement, they are not food. And most containers tell you to not have more than two a day. This is because there is much more in there than just protein. Glutamine, arginene, lucine,.......no one has really tested what the body's response is to massive doses of those ingredients.

If you want a high-protein kick start, focus on the basics: lean meats like chicken breast, egg whites, lean red meat and fibrous veggies - broccoli, beans, asparagus, spinach....
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Now I know this it is meant to be a 'lifestyle' and long term thing. But I have 4 weeks until my holiday and honestly want a kick start to lose a bit beforehand! I figured 5 days won't have a huge affect on my health and I think it's the healthiest sort of 'juice diet' as it has protein and veg.

I'm thinking of doing a 'protein shake diet' which would consist of protein powder and veg like spinach in a blender, have 4 a day for 5 days. Then after the 5 days introduce healthy meals slowly.

The reason I want to do this is as I've had extremely bad past month with eating and think this kick start may motivate me and help me rid sugar cravings!

Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

Why don't you just drink protein shakes and EAT veg? Oh and some other form of protein as well. Look into "clean eating."