Isn't it simply a matter of physics?

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I looked at the simulator, and it is still based on estimates.

Of course it is, everything works with estimates or correlations of physical properties etc.

The test of any simulation is if it can predict the past, which this one doesn't do too badly at - especially as the BMR equations it starts from are as you say estimates.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hope the girly stuff made all you boys cringe.

Nope. You take placebos ?
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It really is simple. Most of the forum issues only dwell on the fluctuations.
    One quick question:
    How are you planning to do this?
    How is he planning to do what?

How are you planning to use your knowledge of math/physics to reduce weight, for your specific case?
    Is your method going to give you a caloric limit different by say 10 or 15% deviated from what the MFP guidelines using their tools?
    Is there any practical benefit of using physics in this case?
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options

Yes.

I use my knowledge understand how things work. MFP provides a very robust tool for estimating calories in and out. Of course, I don't expect it to be accurate to the gram, that would require way to controlled an environment.

For some, motivation comes from knowledge, others it comes from blind faith. Understanding really simplifies life, most will just have to take my word for it :)
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It really is simple. Most of the forum issues only dwell on the fluctuations.
    One quick question:
    How are you planning to do this?
    How is he planning to do what?

How are you planning to use your knowledge of math/physics to reduce weight, for your specific case?
    Is your method going to give you a caloric limit different by say 10 or 15% deviated from what the MFP guidelines using their tools?
    Is there any practical benefit of using physics in this case?
    Wait, are you directing these questions at me or the OP?

If the questions are directed at me then I think maybe my point was missed. I have chosen to follow the MFP plan for a projected loss of 2lb per week. The point I was making with the physics is that the fact I'm eating below my BMR is irrelevant. For my mass, that IS the energy required to maintain body temperature and no amount of this fabled 'metabolism adjustment' will change that. When the energy required for breathing and moving my blood around are added on, one can see that this idea of 'metabolism slow-down' (or even 'starvation mode') are a myth.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think of this every time I see a "OMG I EAT 1200 AND DONT LOSE WEIGHT!" post. I suspect that the reason eat more to lose more works is that when people are allowed a higher allowance there is less "I'm embarrassed of this so I'm not going to log just this one thing" or "Sure, this baseball sized serving of peanut butter is gonna be 2 tbls."

I would say, though, that it is not entirely simple math. 4 months in (like 20 pounds lost or so) I went on birth control. Kept doing the same things, could only lose a pound a month and that only came off during the placebo pills. And was starving all the time, still doing exactly what I had been successful and not deprived with before. I tried eating less for a few weeks, eating more for a few weeks, damn scale wouldn't move. Bought a bodybugg so I could better keep track of the calories out side of the equation, for two months ate ~500 less than what it said, still no loss. Went off the pill and suddenly the ~500 deficit equaled damn near a pound a week. Hormones make the body too complex for the simple calories in calories out model. However, I think it is true most of the time :)

The birth control thing would have been water retention. They mostly work by elevating estrogen/progesterone levels, which leads to some serious water retention. The fact that you didn't GAIN weight after going on them is impressive (most women pick up a couple pounds of water weight). It's definitely harder for women to get an idea of actual weight loss, which is why it's important to have a diet/exercise strategy that you know will work, and stick with it (which is sounds like is exactly what you did!).

It wasn't water weight, when I went off, I didn't lose a lot, I was just able to lose past that point. Plus, you would think that if it was just water retention, I would have shot up as I retained water, but then linearly made progress from that point. Which was not the case, although I stuck to it for 4 months hoping it was just water lol
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Nope. You take placebos ?

I don't know what you mean by this, unless you are saying that I should take placebo pills too, in case it was a placebo effect... but I don't think that is what you are saying. Anyways, I went off the pill, and have no intention of getting back on it, so if you are going to give advice, it could help someone else, but I won't use it. lol
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    She does take placebos one week out of four. Many BC packs have an extra week that are basically sugar pills (some have an iron supplement) because most people find it easier to maintain a habit when done every day... however, the body needs to cycle, so the placebos allow that.